LaunchBox Community Forums

Controller choice dilema

GamaBurst

Hello Guys,
Since the last two weeks i am searching, reading and watching reviews about the game controllers on the market.

I am searching for the best overall controller to use with bigbox. I play mainly NES, SNES, GBA and playstation games but i want to be able to play also Nintendo 64, Game Cube and xbox games.

I was interested to buy a paire of ibuffalo SNES controller for the oldest games (generation 1-2-3-4) But i was also interested for a more advance controller like Xbox one or DS4 (generation 5-6-7-8)

So here's my questions :

According to my utilisation, which controller beetween the Xbox one and the DS4 is the best.

And should i buy just a paire of advanced controller to play all the more recent games (xbox/playstation) and a paire of ibuffalo for all oldest games.

In all reviews they say that the xbox d-pad sucks and it's a bad option for oldest games but easier to setup than the DS4. So im a bit confused to make a choice beetween these two controllers.

Thanks for your anwsers and advices!!!

Alexandre LeBlanc

Edited by alexandreleblanc

If you are already getting controller for the earlier gen games and don't need the dpad I would suggest getting the 360 controller for PC in my experience it plays with Windows (10 at least) better than the Xbox One controller. I don't really have any experience using the sony pads on a PC so can't say as to their performance I believe they require 3rd party software to get going.

• Thanks 1

Ok, thank you for these advices. 

You say : 

I would suggest getting the 360 controller for PC in my experience it plays with Windows (10 at least) better than the Xbox One controller.

What do you mean exactly ? Is there's some configuration or compatibility isue with the xbox one controller?

I have forgotten to say that i plan to use these controller wired with USB. i am not a bluetooth fan.

Thanks for your advices! ;)

For modern games or anything requiring an analog stick I would say either Xbox or Playstation controller based on your personal preference in analog stick position.

For non analog stick d-pad only games and systems the Hori Fighting Commander is by far the best out there https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fighting-Commander-Officially-Licensed-Microsoft/dp/B01MSEPQ55/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1509843285&sr=8-2&keywords=hori+fighting+commander There is a black PS version as well if you would rather the black colour.

To add here, I personally use a XBOX ONE controller on PC for all my emulation needs in combination with the official Microsoft XBOX ONE wireless dongle. I have had no issues with that ever, and it has support built directly into Windows 10 so it just works. I also like the dpad on that controller, it is far superior to the garbage one on the XBOX 360 controller. A PS4 controller could also be a good option, but it can be a bit finicky as you have to use third party software often to trick windows into thinking its a XBOX controller. If you prefer the PS4 layout you could try this Gamesir controller which is shaped like a PS4 controller but is recognised on Windows with it's included dongle as a XBOX 360 controller. I have not used the Hori Fighting Commander that @Lordmonkus mentions personally, but I have heard very good thinks about it. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all guys for these answers and advice ! Now i see more clearly which controllers i will buy !

I think i will first order a pair of Xbox one Controller white that i will used wired USB. And if i am not fully satisfied of D-Pad, i will then order a pair of Hori Fighting Commander to play specificaly with oldest games.

Thanks again ! ;)

I absolutely love my Hori FC, the d-pad is perfection and it has plenty of buttons along with the layout for just about anything up to and including the Saturn controller layout. You can make do with other controllers to mimic the 6 button Genesis, TurboGrafx, Saturn and 6 button fighting games but the Hori just does it so perfectly.

Just my 2 cents of course ;)

Ohhh man i am happy !!
I am back from Bestbuy and i played for about 30 mins with my new Xbox one Controllers plug to my PC to SNES games and right away i could see the difference with my old Logitech F310 !!

The games are easier to play with a more accurate controller. I feel that I have less need to press the buttons and that the controls are much more precise.

Now i will order a pair of Hori Fighting Commander with a USB Hub for those controllers and i will be an happy man !

Thanks again ! ;)

Edited by alexandreleblanc
  • Like 1