LaunchBox Community Forums

7.15-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

The first 7.15 beta is out guys with initial support for retro achievements! We may add more features before the official release, but the important stuff is there in LaunchBox. You can add your retroachievements.org account under Tools > Options > Search > Retro Achievements, and then achievements should start showing up in the sidebar. I'll be adding the achievements into Big Box next.

Of course I'm open to feedback on the achievements stuff, because it's actually quite new to me, though I'm very excited about using it. Let me know how it goes. :)

5a0ddf9967921_LaunchBox7.15-beta-1RetroAchievements.thumb.jpg.c89f52b495c0ed4d83217ca6451b80d9.jpg

• Like 13

Sorry Jason, just got this.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 7.15-beta-1
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    Unbroken.LaunchBox.RetroAchievements.GameInfoWithProgress (System.String, System.String, System.String, System.String)
Source:  Unbroken.LaunchBox

at (String , String , String , String )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.RetroAchievements.RetroAchievementsApi.GetGameInfoWithProgress(String username, String apiKey, String gameName, String platformName)
   at (<>c__DisplayClass80_0 )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Drawing.GameDetailsGui.<>c__DisplayClass80_0.<RefreshImage>b__0()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Recent Log:

19:06:25 Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   7:06:25 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke
   7:08:13 PM Music.Pause Start
   7:08:13 PM Music.Prepare Start
   19:08:13 Music.Kill Start
   19:08:13 Music.Kill Finished
   19:08:13 Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   7:08:13 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke
   7:08:17 PM Music.Pause Start
   7:08:17 PM Music.Prepare Start
   19:08:17 Music.Kill Start
   19:08:17 Music.Kill Finished
   19:08:17 Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   7:08:17 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke
   7:08:19 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Start
   7:08:19 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailRating
   7:08:19 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailFileName
   7:08:19 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailCustomFields
   7:08:19 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailLastPlayed
   7:08:19 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailNotes
   7:08:19 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailDates
   7:08:19 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails End
   7:08:20 PM Music.Prepare Start
   19:08:20 Music.Kill Start
   19:08:20 Music.Kill Finished
   19:08:20 Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   7:08:20 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke
   7:08:30 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Start
   7:08:30 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailRating
   7:08:30 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailFileName
   7:08:30 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailCustomFields
   7:08:30 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailLastPlayed
   7:08:30 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailNotes
   7:08:30 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailDates
   7:08:30 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails End
   7:08:35 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Start
   7:08:35 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailRating
   7:08:35 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailFileName
   7:08:35 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailCustomFields
   7:08:35 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailLastPlayed
   7:08:35 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailNotes
   7:08:35 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailDates
   7:08:35 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails End
   7:12:46 PM Music.Pause Start
   7:12:46 PM Music.Prepare Start
   19:12:46 Music.Kill Start
   19:12:46 Music.Kill Finished
   19:12:46 Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   7:12:46 PM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke
   7:12:54 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Start
   7:12:54 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailRating
   7:12:54 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailFileName
   7:12:54 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailCustomFields
   7:12:54 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailLastPlayed
   7:12:54 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailNotes
   7:12:54 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails Before ShowDetailDates
   7:12:54 PM GameDetailsGui.RedrawDetails End
   7:12:55 PM Exception

@Jason Carr, could that be a platform naming issue? The game I clicked on was Zero Wing for Sega genesis, except that was never released in the USA, it was a Europe and Japanese game only and my platform is named Sega Mega Drive not Sega Genesis. So could peoples naming of platforms on there specific system cause issues when pulling the achievement data?

Just now, Jason Carr said:

@Invader @neil9000 I remember reading somewhere that the retroachievements.org API is for some reason bugged with Sega Genesis, so unfortunately I don't think there's a way to properly fix it currently. I will stop that error from coming up though. :)

Thanks Jason. I still do get the achievements through retroarch though, that's why I wanted to check them in Launchbox, thanks though, this is a great add to the program. :) 

@neil9000 Yeah, from what I can tell the actual emulators do not use the API, which is why they work but not the API. Hopefully they can get that fixed here soon. I'm working on sparking up a conversation with the developers so hopefully that goes well.

@xsilverfuryx There's not really any other good way to do it, since the title is the only way to identify the game. We could do rough matching, but then we'd inevitably end up with incorrect matches. What games are you seeing that aren't matching up?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@neil9000 Yeah, from what I can tell the actual emulators do not use the API, which is why they work but not the API. Hopefully they can get that fixed here soon. I'm working on sparking up a conversation with the developers so hopefully that goes well.

@xsilverfuryx There's not really any other good way to do it, since the title is the only way to identify the game. We could do rough matching, but then we'd inevitably end up with incorrect matches. What games are you seeing that aren't matching up?

OK, gotcha. Thanks for the explanation.  :) 

Beta 2 is out now guys; it fixes the error reported above and adds achievements to Big Box as well via the game details menu and/or a hotkey/controller button:

5a0e0ca689159_LaunchBoxBigBoxRetroAchievementsSuperMarioWorld.thumb.jpg.13052756dcf3ef947a4ca5484643fede.jpgWe may consider integrating the achievements more directly into the game lists here at some point, but there are a number of challenges involved so that probably won't happen right away. The themes would all have to be updated, and it'd be a ton of API calls to the retroachievements.org servers during attract mode, etc. So I'm torn on that, as the last thing we want to do is bring down their servers. This is a great start though I think. :)

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Lordmonkus said:

Would be possible and how much work would it be if it is to have a cool pop up / overlay for when you get an achievement ? The bland yellow text in Retroarch is just that, bland.

As much as I'd love that myself, the API currently doesn't allow for being notified when an achievement is gained, so it's not really possible at this point, unfortunately. But who knows, maybe we can once we get in touch with the devs over there. :)

• Like 1