LaunchBox Community Forums

7.15-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

lol Oh my bad. I just tested again and your right, cant use achievements offline.  What I actually must of done (as I just tested it) is started up retroarch online, pulled the internet wire while playing mario kart and still got the achievements come up in the yellow writing. And all this time I thought it worked offline.

EDIT: Def serious. My chat up line"you wanna see my bigbox" isnt having the desired out come.

Edited by jayjay
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jayjay said:

lol Oh my bad. I just tested again and your right, cant use achievements offline.  What I actually must of done (as I just tested it) is started up retroarch online, pulled the internet wire while playing mario kart and still got the achievements come up in the yellow writing. And all this time I thought it worked offline.

EDIT: Def serious. 

Nope, the way the achievements work is that there is a trigger point in the actual rom file for certain actions, beat boss, finish race etc. If you were connected online the emu supporting achievements knows the triggers for said rom, I would imagine would award them even if you had no current connection, they will simply be added to your actual achievement score when you reconnect to the internet.

23 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Nope, the way the achievements work is that there is a trigger point in the actual rom file for certain actions, beat boss, finish race etc. If you were connected online the emu supporting achievements knows the triggers for said rom, I would imagine would award them even if you had no current connection, they will simply be added to your actual achievement score when you reconnect to the internet.

I can't speak for the RetroAchievements emulators, but it doesn't work that way with RetroArch. Being offline means no earning achievements, at all. The achievement list and what you've unlocked is loaded at rom-loading time, so being offline will simply show no achievements as it cannot log in. Also from how I understand the way the RA API's work, when the address and value gets triggered, it has to be sent to their server which will mark the achievement as unlocked, and respond back to the client (the emulator) that the achievement has been flagged as unlocked. Being offline means that this process cannot happen, so achievements cannot be flagged as unlocked on your account, even after the achievement list has already been loaded prior to going offline. RetroArch definitely doesn't cache them for sending to the server later. It's not as sophisticated as other online services such as Xbox Live or PSN :)

Again, I can't speak for the RA emulators because I don't use them, so I don't know if they cache your achievement progress for further processing once back online, but I know for sure RetroArch doesn't.

Also achievements aren't baked right into the games - you definitely need a connection to be able to at least retrieve the achievement listing.

18 hours ago, HankChill said:

I do also have a small feature request: in Big Box mode, can we get an option to mark a game as Completed, and in the game list show an indicator such as a checkmark or something beside the game name to indicate it's been completed? The only way to mark a game as complete right now is not very intuitive and to see whether a game is complete or not requires selecting the game to see the details and seeing the completed mark beside the ESRB rating. Seeing as how I use Launchbox exclusively in Big Box mode as well, this would really help :D

Here's a plugin called Toggle Completed:

What I have just done:

Online, started retroarch, which will log me into retroachievements, start mario world.

Went offline, then got the "I believe I can fly" achievement, yellow writing at bottom left corner.

Turned off retroarch, started it back up, lost achievement list, so lost achievement.

Online, started retroarch, logged in, start mario world.

Went offline, got "I believe I can fly" achievement.

Back online without closing retroarch and the achievement registered. 

My option for offline achievements is to be online and sign in, disconnect, play game, log back in before quitting . :(.... Maybe I could script something that  will connect then disconnect or maybe invest in a whilelist firewall thingy.  

39 minutes ago, HankChill said:

I can't speak for the RetroAchievements emulators, but it doesn't work that way with RetroArch. Being offline means no earning achievements, at all. The achievement list and what you've unlocked is loaded at rom-loading time, so being offline will simply show no achievements as it cannot log in. Also from how I understand the way the RA API's work, when the address and value gets triggered, it has to be sent to their server which will mark the achievement as unlocked, and respond back to the client (the emulator) that the achievement has been flagged as unlocked. Being offline means that this process cannot happen, so achievements cannot be flagged as unlocked on your account, even after the achievement list has already been loaded prior to going offline. RetroArch definitely doesn't cache them for sending to the server later. It's not as sophisticated as other online services such as Xbox Live or PSN :)

Again, I can't speak for the RA emulators because I don't use them, so I don't know if they cache your achievement progress for further processing once back online, but I know for sure RetroArch doesn't.

Also achievements aren't baked right into the games - you definitely need a connection to be able to at least retrieve the achievement listing.

OK, fair enough you are clearly more knowledgeable on the subject than I am.

40 minutes ago, HankChill said:

That is not what I meant on that, what I was saying is that the achievements literally use hooks that are already in the games, I wasn't saying the achievements were. Games have always had flags for progress in games, the achievements hook into these(what are essentially 0 or 1 or true and false flags in the game code).

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

OK, fair enough you are clearly more knowledgeable on the subject than I am.

That is not what I meant on that, what I was saying is that the achievements literally use hooks that are already in the games, I wasn't saying the achievements were. Games have always had flags for progress in games, the achievements hook into these(what are essentially 0 or 1 or true and false flags in the game code).

Oh I know, I wasn't debating anything you were saying at all - I was just providing that tidbit of information to the others on the forum as to why you have to be online to get the achievement list :D

I looked at the achievement unlocking code for RetroArch and it does exactly as jayjay tried. It will continually attempt to send the achievement unlocking message, but only while the current RetroArch session is running, so if you exit before a connection is established to send queued messages you will lose the achievement.

But I digress, we should use this thread to chat about the LaunchBox beta? :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Would be nice to someday have all emulators integrate a standard achievements code they could easily insert into their program, and have it be "earnable" offline as well. It could show you what you got offline and then sync up when it detected a connection.  That way you always felt like you were actually earning it no matter what your connection level.

Edited by damageinc86

how do i click to update when the Welcome  box is sitting on top of the yes/no box ?? i can't click to close it as the update box is probably in focus or something? anyone?

edit nvm i just used bigbox to update it

Edited by emko

4 minutes ago, Jebus1988 said:

Hello there jason. Have you managed to get in contact with the RA dev? I did write a follow post on the forums on their site. Also do you have discord. It looks like you coming along with things nicely. I can give u the link into RA discord server if you don' aaready have it. 

Our discord.

https://discord.gg/X3Cwsyw