LaunchBox Community Forums

Which NEO GEO DO I choose from the drop down list while importing games?

mylkman

I followed this tutorial

His shows just SNK NEO GEO in the second part of the import.   I do not have that.  I have SNK NEO GEO AES, CD, MVS, POCKET, and POCKET COLOR.

These are zip files.

Also does that alpha Burner have a wireless joystick capabilities?  If not, can i use retroarch?

You can call it what you want, mine is simply called NeoGeo, just make sure that what you call the platform matches in the associated platforms list for the emulator you are using for it.

Just to clarify some of what you listed, the Pocket and Pocket Color are handhelds, CD is the home console that used CDs which very few people will actually want to use but it does have a couple of unique games. And there is no difference in the AES and MVS games, they are identical even though one is the home version and the other is the arcade version. You can even choose which version of the game you are playing by choosing to use the Unibios and setting it to home or arcade.

There is a difference between the AES and MVS versions. The MVS version version is the arcade version and only has arcade difficulty. Also, some games like baseball will get interrupted with a countdown to insert more coins. The AES version is the home console version and it offers different difficulty levels including arcade, some games will have trainers and you don't get the insert coin countdown.

The CD version was a cheaper alternative to the AES console. Games do have better music because they are on CD and the system had something like 3 or 4 exclusive games but they are unplayable because they are in Japanese. It's also missing a lot of games released for the AES.

The roms for the AES and MVS are the same. You just use a different BIOS in MAME. I have both on my setup. MVS under the Arcade category and AES under Consoles category. I don't bother with the CD version. The games are the same with better sound but take up 10x the size on the hard drive. Not worth it.

Edited by Styphelus

IM trying to figure out how to successfully change the unibios in the settings for neo geo roms.  I've checked most of my roms are .bin in a .zip folder.  I think in the tutorial is states that the home variant which I would like is .bin.  I was able to change one game by hitting F1.  Changing the option tab for using the  unibios to the enabled tab.  So  I Know I have the unibios in the roms folder.  I clicked save over core values in retroarch.  Now, i read that A,B,C at the same time will get you into settings page to change the MVS to AES.    I have hit these buttons multiple times and still have yet to get into this.  Any Ideas?

In Retroarch to change MVS to AES simply launch a game and hit F1. The qo into quick menu and choose options. Scroll to see NeoGeo mode and change to AES. 

This only works is you ha e the right bios file  if you have the Mame neogeo bios it will not work  I think it have to be a bios for finalburn alpha  

CAC8F040-9C23-440E-8671-7A01F2FD41FC.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Should be any version 1.4.0 and up. I am on current 1.6.9

Oh wait... So your saying that if I have that version installed, which I do.   I should be able to download the right core for Final Alpha burn.  The bios are usually in the rom sets?

To enable UniBios you need to set NeoGeo mode to Unibios5a21941fd6f8d_2017-12-0112_40_32-XnView-2017-12-0112_39_08-RetroArchFBAlphav0.2_97.42621e371____Frame.thumb.png.1c901368b832cb004dd685765b541214.pngFrom there should see this screen when you start up a game.

blazstar-171201-124124.thumb.png.2216db2c980f74d5b39cb243140819b7.pngThen to change the various settings press your A B C and D buttons all at the same time at this screen. Make your changes and save them, it should be saved on a per game basis.

• Thanks 1

On 11/29/2017 at 9:53 AM, Styphelus said:

There is a difference between the AES and MVS versions. The MVS version version is the arcade version and only has arcade difficulty. Also, some games like baseball will get interrupted with a countdown to insert more coins. The AES version is the home console version and it offers different difficulty levels including arcade, some games will have trainers and you don't get the insert coin countdown.

The CD version was a cheaper alternative to the AES console. Games do have better music because they are on CD and the system had something like 3 or 4 exclusive games but they are unplayable because they are in Japanese. It's also missing a lot of games released for the AES.

The roms for the AES and MVS are the same. You just use a different BIOS in MAME. I have both on my setup. MVS under the Arcade category and AES under Consoles category. I don't bother with the CD version. The games are the same with better sound but take up 10x the size on the hard drive. Not worth it.

Thank you.  I might be missing the bios 

40 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

To enable UniBios you need to set NeoGeo mode to Unibios5a21941fd6f8d_2017-12-0112_40_32-XnView-2017-12-0112_39_08-RetroArchFBAlphav0.2_97.42621e371____Frame.thumb.png.1c901368b832cb004dd685765b541214.pngFrom there should see this screen when you start up a game.

blazstar-171201-124124.thumb.png.2216db2c980f74d5b39cb243140819b7.pngThen to change the various settings press your A B C and D buttons all at the same time at this screen. Make your changes and save them, it should be saved on a per game basis.

Thank you. So it is on a game to game basis. This is what I have successfully done. Was hoping to just have them all be aes.

8 minutes ago, mylkman said:

Thank you.  I might be missing the bios

Depending on how old your bios is it may or may not have the Unibios built in, though there usually is some version packed in with it.

The way I understand it is the Unibios are paid developed and are paid for with the latest version but whenever a new version gets released the previous version becomes free to use for anyone so which version of the Unibios you have access to may vary because of that.