LaunchBox Community Forums

Anyone use a "Selective" Rom Collection? (Rather than trying to own everything)

newyears1978

• 3 weeks later...

I never did understand the "bigger is better" mentality. So many of the collections tout how many systems or how many roms they have. I get that some people just  like collecting, and I do that with different versions of a rom like having a US version and a Japanese version, but I get only the roms that I will play or have nostalgic value to me. I owned an arcade in the 80s, so I am different than many gamers, I want mostly the games I owned as full upright or sit-down games or played in other arcades back then along with some of the old consoles.  I don't want to emulate anything after around 2009 because if I wanted to play thoses, I would just fire up the consoles I still have. I start with either full or curated collections and then go through one by one over time and delete any I know I wouldn't play or that don't fit my other criterion. So I try to keep it at 2000 roms. If I add something, I try to delete something else.

• Like 1

I'm in the process of hand-picking games out of complete sets. I only care about 2D games, and I don't play anything prior to 3rd gen, but that's still a lot to work through.

I started with CD systems and have the big ones like Saturn and PCE-CD done. Those were easy, I started with a full set and just deleted what I didn't want.

Importing full sets into LB with gameplay videos from EmuMovies helps a lot! Newer systems will be harder since the percentage of 2D games is so much lower, so it won't make sense to download full sets. I'll have to use lists, or maybe I'll grab gameplay videos from EmuMovies.

I'm working on MAME now, and I'm almost done. 3rd and 4th gen cartridge systems will go much quicker since I'm most familiar with those.

In the end I think I'll keep complete backups of No-Intro, TOSEC Main Branch, MAME, Total DOS, and SCUMMVM. Those should fit on a 1TB external that I can tuck away in case I need it...

Once I'm done sorting, I'll go through everything I've kept a second time and thin it out even more. I really want to get it down to just five-star games.

After all of that, I'll work on BigBox and getting media all cleaned up :)

• Like 1