LaunchBox Community Forums

steering wheel navigation

AndrewVGrainger

Hi guys,

i have a couple of side by side race rigs i have set up using Launchbox. Is it possible to navigate the menu with the steering wheel controls (logitech g27).? I have followed unbroken software's youtube tutorial on control automation using input mapper but steering wheel is not recognized. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice.

thanks Andrew. 

I have a wheel but I have not had it hooked up for a very long but I see no reason why it shouldn't be able to work.

Go to Options > Controller and make sure the controller is enabled and your wheel is selected. Then go to Options > Controller Buttons and there you should be able to map them to what you want on your wheel.

I say this as theory and it should work.

• 3 months later...

Hi,I ve the same problem....but when I ve downloaded bigbox for the first time it's run perfectly.i could navigate with my g27 and start a game with accelerator pedal. Then I ve downloaded city hunter theme (thanks again) and then I can't use my g27 for navigation(but it works ok for games).

so is there a link between the 2??? 

Thanks guys ???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Same here. I recently finished a Daytona project with LaunchBox/BigBox premium and a Logitech G27.

I was surprised to find that BigBox does not recognize the G27, given the amount of work and all the detail that Jason has put into his program.

I love BigBox, but this is a setback. Let's hope that Jason finds the time to implement this feature. Anyone know if there is a poll or a feature request that I can vote on to bring this to Jason's attention?

As a workaround: It is possible to create a Logitech profile for BigBox.exe, but after attract mode starts it loses connection.

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Huh, I'm surprised that I'm just now seeing this thread. I'm also baffled as to why it wouldn't be working as-is, because we support just about every kind of controller out there. I happen to have a G29 though, so I'll make a point to hook it up for testing here soon. :)

Thanks for taking the time to look at the issue, @Jason Carr. Just one thing to notice: G29 is Xinput device. G27 is Dinput device. If you could add support for both API's, it would be amazing. That's one of the few missing features that LaunchBox/BigBox doesn't have.

Thanks again for the continuous support.

1 hour ago, Lordmonkus said:

Jason looked into this earlier today and I believe he is hoping to have a fix for it in the next beta.

That's great to know, Lordmonkus. I never used a beta version of a frontend, but I'll be very tempted to do so.

11 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Both XInput and DInput are already supported, and have been for ages, which is why I'm thrown for a loop that the wheels aren't working. Will review. Unfortunately I can't test with a G27 though so that may be difficult. We'll see.

I never got G27 working with the software. This gonna be the first time if you manages to fixe it. Let's hope for the best.

1 hour ago, Sebabav said:

Hi ,when i started bigbox at the begining 2018 the g27 was reconized in the Wheel . It was perfect. But nearly june 2018 it was finish, the g27 only works with my games not in bigbox.  It could be an update which make that? I dont now.

It never worked for me though. Maybe some update broke compatibility.

8 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Hey all, I'm hoping that 10.11-beta-6 adds support for DInput flight and racing devices. XInput stuff is proving to be less intuitive, so that's still on my plate. Let me know if the G27 is working for you guys.

Hi Jason. Thank for trying to solve the issue. I tested the new beta with my G27 while on BigBox and it can detect the wheel pretty fine. The default mapping for the wheel was all over the place like pressing gas pedal would make the menus to scroll down, instead of navigating using the d-pad.

I then proceeded to try remmaping the controls and I couldn't because BigBox would not detect buttons press for d-pad or any button on the controller mapping menu, even after I selected "Use All Controllers". I hope you can fix it in the next beta. If you need any help like a log or something we could do, please let me know.

EDIT: Ok I can use the wheel fine, but only if I map the buttons with the Xbox One controller first. I can't map the G27 by using the wheel only. And because of that, I have to guess which button does what while using the G27 on BigBox (except for the D-pad) because I don't now for example which button is button 9 or button 10 on the wheel due to not been able to remap the wheel controls on the remaping menu. I can however know which button is what by looking at the logitech profiler but not all buttons though (button 9 is 1st gear for example). Also when I enable the "Use all controllers" on controller menu, BigBox hangs and I have no other option besides killing the task on Windows Task Manager.  Aside from all that, it works fine and it's possible to use the G27 on BigBox now. It just need to fix the remaping bug issue.

Edited by coleroddy

2 hours ago, coleroddy said:

Hi Jason. Thank for trying to solve the issue. I tested the new beta with my G27 while on BigBox and it can detect the wheel pretty fine. The default mapping for the wheel was all over the place like pressing gas pedal would make the menus to scroll down, instead of navigating using the d-pad.

I then proceeded to try remmaping the controls and I couldn't because BigBox would not detect buttons press for d-pad or any button on the controller mapping menu, even after I selected "Use All Controllers". I hope you can fix it in the next beta. If you need any help like a log or something we could do, please let me know.

EDIT: Ok I can use the wheel fine, but only if I map the buttons with the Xbox One controller first. I can't map the G27 by using the wheel only. And because of that, I have to guess which button does what while using the G27 on BigBox (except for the D-pad) because I don't now for example which button is button 9 or button 10 on the wheel due to not been able to remap the wheel controls on the remaping menu. I can however know which button is what by looking at the logitech profiler but not all buttons though (button 9 is 1st gear for example). Also when I enable the "Use all controllers" on controller menu, BigBox hangs and I have no other option besides killing the task on Windows Task Manager.  Aside from all that, it works fine and it's possible to use the G27 on BigBox now. It just need to fix the remaping bug issue.

Yikes, that sounds like a mess. It doesn't sound like I'll be able to fix any of those issues without getting my hands on a G27 set myself. Unfortunately I'll probably have to turn support back off until I can get one.