LaunchBox Community Forums

3 minutes ago, skizzosjt said:

Yes, Retroarch was the emulator that lost focus at startup and needing to ALT+TAB as a result. I'm not sure of exact timeline of my testing I previously detailed because I did recently update Retroarch to newest stable release at time when I downloaded it, which I know is 1.16. nightly/dev version was at 1.17 but I went with stable release - I see 1.17 is now the stable release

I will do some more testing because unfortunately for me, my memory is a little hazy on if I tested anything since this Retroarch upgrade. To be thorough on my end, I'll need to test some more on my up to date version of Retroarch. I can come back with some more feedback after I get that completed. I know when I made my first post I was def not on a recent version so I'll do my due diligence here for sure by testing with the recent release version.

That would be great. Just report back here with your results and if you're still having issues, I'll do whatever is necessary to fix the issue.

On 2/19/2024 at 3:45 PM, Lahma said:

That would be great. Just report back here with your results and if you're still having issues, I'll do whatever is necessary to fix the issue.

did some more testing this week.  I'm setup with Retroarch 1.16.0 as my main instance from a recent upgrade. I test with both LaunchBox and Big Box now with the newer Retroarch version. And though there are still issues with the startup screens as I previously describe, it didn't require the ALT+TAB input when a game is launched from Big Box. But it has constantly needed that type of input/user interaction if games are launched from LaunchBox and is so far repeatable with any core or game. So there is a noticeably different behavior between launching games via LaunchBox, or Big Box when using Steam Launcher, at least regarding using Retroarch. For Retroarch, I tested with systems such as NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Master System. Cores would be nestopia, snes9x, both N64 cores paraLLEI and MupenPlus-Next, genesis plus gx

So to summarize all testing so far, here is what I observe

LaunchBox: Startup and Shutdown screens are both funny, they lose focus so you see the desktop/LaunchBox. Startup screens start OK, but lose focus prior to the emulator/game loading. Shutdown screens are delayed in starting, so you see the desktop/LaunchBox and then after X secs the Shutdown screen shows up. Retroarch loses focus at game startup so requires some user input to get it in actually focus. The emulator/game is visible and on top of all other windows from what I can tell, but just not in focus. As in, if I have the option to pause emulation if Retroarch is not in focus enabled, the emulator is in a pause state and you see the pause sign on the on screen display in top right corner.

Big Box: Startup screens are funny in the same way as described for LaunchBox. However, Shutdown Screens, at least with Retroarch, behave as expected. I did not notice it to flash back to the frontend for X seconds before the Shutdown screen appears. Also unlike LaunchBox, Retroarch did not lose focus at game startup so no additional user input required prior to actually playing the game.

Let me know if there are any additional specific things I can check to help pass along more info.