LaunchBox Community Forums

The new update is posted. This should fix the issue @Razor112 reported concerning the desktop overlay being displayed instead of the Big Picture overlay. Sorry for the trouble! Please let me know if you come across any issues with the new build. I will be out of town for a couple of days, but I should be home on Sunday.

v0.9.8.3 (August 5, 2022)

• The issue mentioned in the previous changelog, concerning temporary shortcut IDs being generated based on empty values for the shortcut name and path, was apparently fixed by Valve almost immediately after the last update was posted. Accordingly, the fix implemented to work around this issue is no longer needed. That work around appears to have been causing another issue related to the desktop overlay being used as opposed to the Big Picture overlay, even when a controller was connected. As a result of all of this, this hotfix update is being pushed out to roll back that work around which should fix the issue with the overlay. Sorry for the inconvenience!

• Like 3

On 8/6/2022 at 6:11 PM, Corgana said:

So this is a nice surprise @Lahma, @fromlostdays, the issue I was having with CemU and the Steam overlay appears to be working now. I'm not sure if it was the latest Steam, SteamLauncher or BigBox update (Because CemU hasn't updated), but I'm crossing my fingers it lasts!

Must be something Valve changed because I highly doubt any of the changes I made could be responsible for such a thing. Regardless, glad it is working for you now!

• Game On 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm trying to use the plugin, downloaded all prerequisites, but when launching a game it doesn't start when I check the log it says this

2022-08-19 10:40:14 [Error] [SteamShortcutManager] [CreateSteamLauncherShortcut] - An unexpected problem occurred while trying to create a SteamLauncher shortcut.
2022-08-19 10:40:14 [Error] [GameLaunchingPlugin] [OnAfterGameLaunched] - An error occurred while creating/launching the Steam shortcut: An unexpected problem occurred while trying to create a SteamLauncher shortcut.

Help me in this, please, I want to launch my games through this plugin and I cant

56 minutes ago, DragoonDemon4 said:

Hi, I'm trying to use the plugin, downloaded all prerequisites, but when launching a game it doesn't start when I check the log it says this

2022-08-19 10:40:14 [Error] [SteamShortcutManager] [CreateSteamLauncherShortcut] - An unexpected problem occurred while trying to create a SteamLauncher shortcut.
2022-08-19 10:40:14 [Error] [GameLaunchingPlugin] [OnAfterGameLaunched] - An error occurred while creating/launching the Steam shortcut: An unexpected problem occurred while trying to create a SteamLauncher shortcut.

Help me in this, please, I want to launch my games through this plugin and I cant

New steam client update broke the plugin. It needs updating wait for @Lahma to fix it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Corgana said:

Not sure if this is just me, but attempting to disable the latest version of Steamlauncher in Big Box crashes the program (seems to work fine in regular Launchbox).

Nope it's not only you. I also have same behavior too.

@Lahma Here is the error log

Spoiler

'Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.ViewModels.MainViewModel' does not contain a definition for 'SystemViewModel'

App:     Big Box
Version: 12.14
Type:    Microsoft.CSharp.RuntimeBinder.RuntimeBinderException
Site:    System.Object CallSite.Target(System.Runtime.CompilerServices.Closure, System.Runtime.CompilerServices.CallSite, System.Object)
Source:  Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly

at CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , Object )
   at SteamLauncher.UseSteamLauncherSystemMenuItem.OnSelected()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.MenuActions.MethodMenuAction.OnEnter()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.ViewModels.SystemViewModel.OnEnter()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.NavigationManager.OnEnter()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.ViewModels.MainViewModel.OnEnter()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.ViewModels.MainViewModel.HandleKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.Views.MainView.ResetStub(Object init, KeyEventArgs connection)
   at System.Windows.Input.KeyEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawKeyboardActions actions, Int32 scanCode, Boolean isExtendedKey, Boolean isSystemKey, Int32 virtualKey)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.ProcessKeyAction(MSG& msg, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, WindowMessage message, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Recent Log:

21:44:24 Exception

(I tried to initially post this msg the night that Steam broke but the forum was down at the time. I'm working on releasing an update but I have other stuff going on at the minute. Probably going to need a couple of days.)

FYI, I'm aware that a Steam update late last night broke something... I'm really beginning to wonder which Valve employee has a vendetta against me. Jokes aside, I will try to look at it shortly. Hopefully it is just a vtable offset change which will not require a manual update. I'll post an update here whenever I know more.

• Like 4

Alright, I've figured out what the issue is. They added new entries to the IClientEngine vtable this time which means the vtable offset for GetIClientShortcuts has to be adjusted. Thankfully, this can be fixed by just updating the online vtables DB. After I've updated the DB, you should only need to start/restart LaunchBox for the new vtables DB to be downloaded. If you still have problems, try restarting LaunchBox (let LB run for a min or 2 before closing/restarting so SteamLauncher has a chance to download the DB update). I'll post back here in just a min once I've updated the online DB.

• Like 1

@Corgana and @Razor112, I will look into the issue of not being able to enable/disable SteamLauncher from within BigBox. I literally never use BigBox (except on the rare occasion that I'm implementing some changes for the plugin) so I appreciate y'all letting me know about any issues you come across (because I would never know about them otherwise). Since this isn't a critical issue that entirely breaks the plugin or anything, I'm not going to sacrifice work hours (or other important duties) in order to fix it. Accordingly, it will probably take me at least a few days to look into the issue and push out a fix. I will post here once I've gotten a chance to look into it.

• Like 1

The online vtables DB has been updated. When you start/restart LaunchBox, SteamLauncher should automatically update its vtables DB, fixing the previous game launching issues. Anyone that posted here about having issues, I would really appreciate it if you could leave a quick post letting me know that this update fixed the problem you were experiencing. Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lahma said:

@Corgana and @Razor112, I will look into the issue of not being able to enable/disable SteamLauncher from within BigBox. I literally never use BigBox (except on the rare occasion that I'm implementing some changes for the plugin) so I appreciate y'all letting me know about any issues you come across (because I would never know about them otherwise). Since this isn't a critical issue that entirely breaks the plugin or anything, I'm not going to sacrifice work hours (or other important duties) in order to fix it. Accordingly, it will probably take me at least a few days to look into the issue and push out a fix. I will post here once I've gotten a chance to look into it.

The vTables update working fine. Thanks for the update.

And for the bugfix, don't worry about it man. It's not that important as you can always switch to launchbox and can disable it from there. Besides with the addition of selective use feature you don't even have to disable SteamLauncher anymore if you want a game or a platform to not start through Steamlauncher you can always blacklist it.😁

Edited by Razor112
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Razor112 said:

The vTables update working fine. Thanks for the update.

And for the bugfix, don't worry about it man. It's not that important as you can always switch to launchbox and can disable it from there. Besides with the addition of selective use feature you don't even have to disable SteamLauncher anymore if you want a game or a platform to not start through Steamlauncher you can always blacklist it.😁

@Razor112, thanks for letting me know the vtables db update worked for you. I appreciate the sentiment but regardless, I'll definitely look into the issue with BigBox. It either needs to be fixed or the option removed. I don't want to leave it in a broken state. If I remember correctly, that feature (including the enable/disable menu item in BigBox) was implemented in a fairly bizarre round-about way due to limitations with the plugin system. I think it uses a dynamic type variable that accesses an unexposed BigBox UI element via reflection. I suspect that the recent BigBox overhaul (I think they redesigned a large part of it, didn't they?) changed something related to the class/method/type name I was accessing via reflection which probably caused the hack-ish workaround to stop working. Hopefully it shouldn't be too big of a deal to fix.

Honestly, I would really like to implement a SteamLauncher settings UI in BigBox, but I imagine it would take an enormous amount of effort since it would have to be compatible with game controllers and couldn't be reliant on mouse and keyboard. If anyone knows of a BigBox plugin that has UI that can be controlled solely with a game controller and could point me to it, I would really appreciate it. It would be interesting to at least take a look at which libraries they are using and peek at how they implemented controller support. Most likely I won't be implementing such a feature any time soon but I'm not entirely ruling out the possibility.

The vTable update worked and I can also confirm that the SteamLauncher options menu in BigBox crash BigBox. I was actually planning on asking if there was a way to hide those options in BigBox when you Lock the UI. I have most of the options in Big Box locked so that kids can't edit anything. If you decide to fix the BigBox menu items versus remove them is it possible for them to show up in the view options menu so that they can be hidden when the UI is in Lock mode? If not, I would also just prefer those menu options to be removed from BigBox. I don't want anyone other than myself messing with it when the system is locked anyway.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, coasternd said:

The vTable update worked and I can also confirm that the SteamLauncher options menu in BigBox crash BigBox. I was actually planning on asking if there was a way to hide those options in BigBox when you Lock the UI. I have most of the options in Big Box locked so that kids can't edit anything. If you decide to fix the BigBox menu items versus remove them is it possible for them to show up in the view options menu so that they can be hidden when the UI is in Lock mode? If not, I would also just prefer those menu options to be removed from BigBox. I don't want anyone other than myself messing with it when the system is locked anyway.

Thanks!

Very interesting input that I would have never considered. I will certainly see what I can do about it. I wasn't even aware that the UI could be locked in BigBox. You're saying that when the UI is locked, the "View" menu options are hidden?