LaunchBox Community Forums

No Filler Mame Rom Set Version 2

Lordmonkus

I might have a look first and see how much is missing, I know rebuilding can take quite some time. MAME should tell me what is missing right? I was planning on using both the launchbox and arcade controls batch file.

Hopefully there is a few with overlapping requirements, I know from doing this before you have quite different picks which is really nice but I'm guessing that won't work in my favour here.

• 5 months later...
On 3/1/2018 at 4:41 PM, Lordmonkus said:

Nor will I be including anything that requires non standard joystick controls such as light guns, trackballs, spinners or steering wheels / yokes

This pretty much explains it all.

• Haha 1

A lot of steering wheels were just glorified joysticks, few had analog control. So the controls map nicely to modern controllers (even the ones that do have analog control). But fair enough. I guess anything other than 4/6/8/12 buttons was not considered, which explains it.

After Burner is also missing. There needs to be a sort of supplementary list.. it should be a crime to not consider these greats just because on paper they're not using a "joystick + button" combo. Still highly playable in MAME, unlike stuff like lightguns and trackballs which are difficult to play with a joypad.

Edited by makemylifeeasier

46 minutes ago, makemylifeeasier said:

A lot of steering wheels were just glorified joysticks, few had analog control.

Untrue, many old racing games used analog controls, this is evident in the controller mapping screen for these games in Mame.

47 minutes ago, makemylifeeasier said:

it should be a crime to not consider these greats just because on paper they're not using a "joystick + button" combo. Still highly playable in MAME, unlike stuff like lightguns and trackballs which are difficult to play with a joypad.

This is my set, if you would like to use it as a base and make your own please, by all means make your own. I provided the spreadsheet to which you can easily add your own.

• 2 months later...

Awesome work Lordmonkus!  I appreciate all the hard work you guys are doing.  My question is, do you guys have a recommendation for finding a good Non-merged set?  I must be doing something wrong, which is not surprising as I'm a total Newb to this.  I know not to post any sites on here, but please pm me with suggestions.  I've tried to find 0.20 - all the way to 0.23 and the only ones I find are splits and merged. 

I just purchased LB and BB with intention of building a custom arcade cabinet.  I know I have a long way to go, but I'm trying to learn as much as possible and really appreciate all the help along with way.

12 minutes ago, Hogwild said:

Awesome work Lordmonkus!  I appreciate all the hard work you guys are doing.  My question is, do you guys have a recommendation for finding a good Non-merged set?  I must be doing something wrong, which is not surprising as I'm a total Newb to this.  I know not to post any sites on here, but please pm me with suggestions.  I've tried to find 0.20 - all the way to 0.23 and the only ones I find are splits and merged. 

I just purchased LB and BB with intention of building a custom arcade cabinet.  I know I have a long way to go, but I'm trying to learn as much as possible and really appreciate all the help along with way.

Google pleasuredome, thats where the current sets are, they are a private torrent tracker though, you MUST upload and maintain ratio or you will very quickly be banned.

41 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Google pleasuredome, thats where the current sets are, they are a private torrent tracker though, you MUST upload and maintain ratio or you will very quickly be banned.

Thanks Neil.  I've browsed that site before.  Honest question though...being a newb and all, what can I meaningfully contribute as uploads to maintain the ratio, or do I just need to keep things that I've downloaded seeded for a period of time?  I'd love to give back, but not sure what I can provide that doesn't look like I'm just trying to circumvent controls.

17 minutes ago, Hogwild said:

Thanks Neil.  I've browsed that site before.  Honest question though...being a newb and all, what can I meaningfully contribute as uploads to maintain the ratio, or do I just need to keep things that I've downloaded seeded for a period of time?  I'd love to give back, but not sure what I can provide that doesn't look like I'm just trying to circumvent controls.

Yeah you need to seed back, thats the rule of any private tracker, usually you want to seed back at least as much as you have downloaded, so a 1:1 ratio.

Like this MAME here, its from a different site, but the file was 566GB and i have seeded back 4.59TB, so i have a ratio of 8.3, because i have seeded more than eight times what i actually downloaded.

image.thumb.png.c3609166a2b90c5999ce97e4b6d1eefc.png

• Thanks 1

I've downloaded the non-merged content as well as the CHD's so far.  And this will all be going on a PC run standup arcade.  So, if I want to create my own playlist from the original ROM setlist, is clrmamepro the way to go?  My plan is to download a new non-merged ROM set on occasion if there are meaningful updates, but I would want my slimmed down playlist to be able to run against these updated ROM's so that I only get the files that I really want.  I don't mind doing work initially, but I don't want to have to do that every time I download an updated set.

Or am I just way overthinking this, and just need to use launchbox to create playlists?  Sorry for the dumb questions.

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

It will work as long as the Mame devs don't change any of the file names which I don't see happening anytime soon.

Yeah, I had found an old thread with the original AKNF where a newer set had a few name changes, so just wanted to let anyone know who might have found the same and been wondering.

Anyway, thanks again, I've been setting up Launchbox for the last week or so, and it's been almost all your posts that have cleared up the tricky stuff for me. Cheers, loving my setup now.

And I'm no arcade games expert, but every game I've been able to think of from my past I've managed to find in this list.