LaunchBox Community Forums

No Filler Mame Rom Set Version 2

Lordmonkus

No worries, I thought maybe for a minute that maybe the sfiii3nr1 file was North American region or at least English text so I downloaded it to check it out but it's Japan region as well so unless someone can tell me the difference and a good reason to swap it out I will leave it the way it is now.

9 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Asteroids Deluxe is in there which is the superior game.

?  No offense but that is debatable.  That's like saying Blasteroids is superior to Asteroids Deluxe because it's newer, or any other example for that matter.

I've never seen a list without it.  And if you were old enough to be in the arcades, most people navigated to Asteroids over Asteroids Deluxe.

10 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Well while it being a superior game is definitely subjective as its his list his subjectivity would be reflected if it bothers you so much just add the game manually.

Understood.  Just a weird remark considering Asteroids is in the top 10 of all lists for top Arcade games and is probably the 3rd most well known arcade game behind pac-man and donkey-kong.

There is no question that Asteroids is a classic and one the most well known arcade games of all time but Deluxe is the superior game.

The original Asteroids has a serious bug in the game where the player can position their ship "inside" the score at the top of the game and become invincible. This bug was fixed and the "homing asteroids" were added to the game to make the game more challenging.

2 hours ago, Fwiler said:

And if you were old enough to be in the arcades

I am more than old enough to be in the arcades. I spent many hours in the arcades as a kid while my mom shopped at the mall back in the late 70s and early 80s, I even own an Asteroids Deluxe cabinet.

One of the nice things about my batch file is it's really easy to add any game you feel you want in your list. All you have to do is add a new line to copy out the precise game rom you want, this is also part of the reason I based this off of the Non Merged rom set, each game rom file contains all the necessary bios files that might be needed for the game to work.

If you wish to add the original Asteroids to yours simply copy and paste the following line into the the batch file I have provided here.

copy asteroid.zip NoFiller

Just my 2 cents here. But before I say anything else, I do want to say thank you. You did an amazing job and I've spent several hours going through and adding and deleting stuff and used your's as a templete to make my own version of this. Right now I'm at 536, trying to either tone it down to 500 even or build it up to 550. 

The biggest issue I had with your list was there was way too many top down anime shooters. I tried every single one of them for about 5 mins and most felt like clones of each other or different versions of a few. That, and the weird omissions of a lot of classics, like Outrun, Contra, Paperboy, Commando and just a lot of other ones that you would normally see in the top 400 lists of Arcade games. For me adding games that need CHD but are the actual games most people want to play far outweighs size. Sure space can be an issue, but we are halfway into 2018, a 128 gig SD card costs like $30 now. Easily enough to add games like NFL Blitz or NBA Jam and tons of others without having to worry about space. Again, it's your list, you can do what you want, but I saw a lot of filler anime shooters in that list. Again, thank you so much for the list and I think it is good, but adding about 20 classics to that list and taking out a few anime girl shooters might help make it more complete.

• Like 2

I appreciate the comments and if there are games missing there generally is a reason for it, either I didn't think it was worth adding, had funky controls or I just plain missed or forgotten about the game.

For example, Outrun and Paperboy have funky controls and don't translate well to playing with a regular controller.

Commando I probably could have added but I did not think about it and I probably will with the 200 release.

Contra should have made the final list, it was on the main post so I must have just missed adding it.

NBA Jam is in the set but I did not include NFL Blitz, no one suggested it and wasn't a game I cared to ever play back in the day so I didn't think to add it.

Now to address your shooter comments, yeah, there are a lot of shooters and even though you may find them to feel like clones of each other the Shootemup genre is probably the one genre of old arcade games that get the most play and have the biggest following for gamers today. For that reason there is so many but I did try to keep the games in the set to a tleast "good" games rather than put "everything" in it.

Anyways, comments are always welcome and I can add games that people suggest if they make sense to add.

The following games will be added to the 200 update:
Commando
Contra

Edit: Removed NFL Blitz again since it requires a CHD and it was stated originally that I would not include anything requiring CHDs. If anyone knows of a non CHD version of the rom like the Street Fighter III ones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For something like Outrun, I can't imagine playing the vanilla rom anymore after discovering and properly setting up Cannonball. That is clearly the definitive way to play Outrun for me. Sound fixes, customizable difficulty/traffic, customizable maps, 60fps, true HD widescreen support. It's the only way to go for that game imo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This list and the spreadsheet with it is awesome. What I’m doing is working on combining your list, spreadsheet, and batch file with all the games from the all killer no filler list. I’m adding all the games that exclusive to that list and not in yours. While it will make for a larger list, I feel like it’s more inclusive of great games since it’s coming from 2 different communities recommendations. I can’t wait for .200 to come out so I can finalize this and get my cabinet Launchbox finally loaded up and ready to go. Do you think there will be any significant changes in version .200? 

2 hours ago, DOS76 said:

Sounds like you aren't even convinced they should be added but just naming them for the sake of adding something else.

Lol I guess you are right. That didn’t sound to sure did it? Well then yea I definitely think megaman the power battle and megaman 2 the power fighters should be added. Also think power instinct should be on there. Cool fighting game with some unusual double jump mechanics. 

Edited by Cjax08

On 7/23/2018 at 5:50 PM, Namedos said:

I was curious about Centipede and Missle Command but your logic stated above gave me the answer. 

I would suggest Track and Field.  Thank you for considering updates to your list.

I could and may put Centipede and Missile Command in since they can be played with a mouse easy enough and trackballs aren't terribly uncommon with people having Tanksticks.

Track & Field though I won't be adding.

Mame 0.200 has been released and the batch file has been updated along with it. 9 new games were added to the last batch file and as a bonus I added a NeoGeo NoFiller batch file which has a total of 63 games in it, though 45 of the games in that batch file is the exact same as the Mame one.

Here is the list of games and rom files added to the 200 release.

Assault                assault.zip
Asteroids            asteroid.zip
Centipede            centiped.zip
Commando            commando.zip
Contra                contra.zip
Millipede            milliped.zip
Missile Command        missile.zip
Tempest                tempest.zip
Toki                tokiu.zip

• Like 2