LaunchBox Community Forums

Multi Language in game descriptions

alissongamer

I come again ask to add option of multi lingual in the descriptions of the games, same thing happens in the site Screenscraper.
Is not there such a possibility? Poi would be great to have descriptions in other languages and Launchbox could pull this information according to the language chosen by the user in the program interface.
:(

• Like 1

It would be possible but it would require the lone dev taking time off of the rest of the project to implement it. I don't see it as being a heavily requested feature. There was recently a poll on which we voted for features and like the top 15 or so are going to be worked on so while not saying this will never be done I doubt that if it was it wouldn't be anytime soon. Your best bet would be to try to be around the next time there is a poll and try to get it on the poll this way users can vote on it and you can see what type of support it garners.

That's not a valid reason, which percentage of the buyers voted on the poll? a lot of people do not even know english to understand the poll itself.If it depends of a poll voted for by a majority of English native speakers, then it will never be implemented.

That said, Jason is doing a great work and i'm sure that he will find an appropiate solution sooner or later, but please.. let us be clear, nothing related with the language will be in the top 15 on the poll, not now not ever.

Edited by qu1r0s

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
7 minutes ago, alissongamer said:

I don't know if this matter was discussed again, but I wanted to know where these events occur to create new features so that I can include this possibility.

We do not have that data, are you prepared to go through every game in our database and translate them all to your language?  No of course not, and what about other languages other than your own, are you going to translate to all of them as well? Its a great idea in theory, but nobody is going to do the work of translating all of the game descriptions in our database to all the used languages we use on this planet.

On 10/31/2020 at 10:27 AM, neil9000 said:

We do not have that data, are you prepared to go through every game in our database and translate them all to your language?  No of course not, and what about other languages other than your own, are you going to translate to all of them as well? Its a great idea in theory, but nobody is going to do the work of translating all of the game descriptions in our database to all the used languages we use on this planet.

First of all, I'm sorry for my bad English.
With all due respect, but you are wrong and it was even a little arrogant.
Of course, there are millions of games to add translation, as well as to add covers, images, logos, etc ..., and that is why we have users collaborating daily with the database.
I am not the only one asking for this option and I am sure that I will not be the only one to contribute with this if this option comes up.
Just as there were several users on the Screenscraper website who did this work, there will also be users here who will dedicate themselves to this, after all, there are many Launchbox users who are from Brazil.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has there been any consideration on perhaps using neural translation such as DeepL?

All of the description translations could be near automated, and its much more accurate than other notable Machine learning sites.

It would of course cost money with the amount that requires translating, but worth a look.

I'm not suggesting the translation will be perfect across the board, but it will be decent enough for most cases,

• Like 2