LaunchBox Community Forums

Sierra manual check in older king's quest games

flexzi

Hi there,

i have a small problem with kings quest 4, the perils of rosella.

the game starts up just fine, but since i want a bigbox experience with as few delays and meaningless notifications as possible, one thing came up. When the game is started it asks for a certain word out of the manual for the game. if you don't type this word, the game will shut down and bring you back to launch/big box. is there a way to circumvent this? i could easily look at the manual, find the word and type it in, but that kind of defeats the ideal of playing directly without any delays. i don't want to grab a manual or open it next to my running game to look up a word to type in EVERY time i play the game!

any solutions to this?

Yeah understood, but if it is different every time its gonna be hard to automate that right? "When the game is started it asks for a certain word out of the manual for the game. if you don't type this word, the game will shut down and bring you back to launch/big box"

yeah if it is different your best bet would to be start a text doc and put the word and the page number but depending on how random it may be that might not accomplish anything either. glad I only like consoles sounds like some more old school PC pain in the ass.

• Haha 1

Yeah it's a different word everytime. there's surprisingly only a handful of games. It's just that I'm running through my ScummVM emulator game-base and tried to optimize some of the video and resolutions that made me find some of these. 

On 3/15/2018 at 9:01 AM, dragon57 said:

@flexzi You might be able to use ScummVM's autosave feature to get you past the initial prompt, then create a game specific override that from that point on saves to a different save slot.

hmmm this might just be a little harder than i thought. quest for glory actually uses the manual a few times through the game, at least that's what the introduction (including very angry disclaimer against copyright infringement) tells me, so that would at least be a 'no' on the savestate since you'd have to do it a couple (dunno how many) times and keep the manual close. I guess i'll just play the game with the manual if needed. 

• 1 month later...