LaunchBox Community Forums

How can I properly display Marquee images on custom cut LCD screen?

Carnovash

11 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

The marquee staying up while the game is played should happen. It does in my setup. 

I cannot assist on the other question as I am not familiar with adjusting the xml at all. 

I got that to work thank you. As you can see from the picture above , it is showing the wrong marquee for the game selected. I will have to try and figure that out. 

5 minutes ago, vincefaro said:

I got that to work thank you. As you can see from the picture above , it is showing the wrong marquee for the game selected. I will have to try and figure that out. 

That issue I am not sure. I know there were some random posts about game images not changing when moving to other games. I have not seen anyone report the same with marquee images and I do not recall seeing it on my cabinet. 

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, Aevans0001 said:

Did you ever get this working.  Also what size screens did everyone use?  I am shopping for one now.,

As far as size, mine is a 19", which is the top 1/3 of a 21.5" LCD.  Really, you just want to figure out the width of your cabinet, and find something that fits. Definitely go smaller if there's no exact fit, you can always make a bezel around it. When you're looking them up, they should show the full dimensions.

GZvyD9l.jpg

This is what my bartop looks like. If I had the space, I would have used a 1/2 cut instead of the 1/3 as that seems to fit the proportions of most marquees a little better. I have custom platform/playlist marquee images to fill the whole LCD, individual games may just be scaled down.

I haven't had the "wrong game shows" issue, it's been spot on for me. I did have to modify the theme files after 9.4 though. The new code is a little cleaner, I'll post it when I get home and have access to the bartop.

• 3 months later...
On 5/15/2018 at 4:48 AM, Retro808 said:

I just confirmed the reason it is not working is you cannot alter the default theme. The default theme will always return to its normal state on restart. You have to copy it and rename it. Then you can make these alterations to that copy of the default theme. 

I don't get this part, rename it to what? Which editor are you guys using?

Edited by ricardote

9 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

You can not edit the default theme, but you can just copy the default theme and give the folder a different name and edit that.

Ok, I did some tweeks to the newly edited GameMarqueeView file (I rename it to GameMarquee.xaml) do I just move this file to the original Views folder? what about the GameMarqueeView.xaml file that's already in that folder? Hope you understand what I meant. Thanks.

22 minutes ago, ricardote said:

Ok, I did some tweeks to the newly edited GameMarqueeView file (I rename it to GameMarquee.xaml) do I just move this file to the original Views folder? what about the GameMarqueeView.xaml file that's already in that folder? Hope you understand what I meant. Thanks.

Xaml files cannot be renamed. They must remain how they were originally named. 

If you are using the default theme and want to alter it you simply copy the whole folder named "Default" in the \Launchbox\Themes folder. Paste it into the same \Launchbox\Themes folder and rename that newly pasted folder something else other than Default. Then you can edit it anyway you choose. If you edit a xaml file you simply save it, but it has to be named how the original xaml was named. So since you edited the GameMarqueeView.xaml it has to stay that name. 

In BigBox you then change the theme to that newly named one you edited. 

43 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Xaml files cannot be renamed. They must remain how they were originally named. 

If you are using the default theme and want to alter it you simply copy the whole folder named "Default" in the \Launchbox\Themes folder. Paste it into the same \Launchbox\Themes folder and rename that newly pasted folder something else other than Default. Then you can edit it anyway you choose. If you edit a xaml file you simply save it, but it has to be named how the original xaml was named. So since you edited the GameMarqueeView.xaml it has to stay that name. 

In BigBox you then change the theme to that newly named one you edited. 

Thanks so much Retro808, all this time I was editing the wrong file since my default theme was Critical Zone, and I was editing the actual Default xaml file! After creating the new Theme by renaming the Default folder, and did some editing to both Platform & Game marquee view files, I was able to shift the Marquee banners around. Thank god it worked, you guys rock~!

• 4 weeks later...

I got the game marquees to fit my 19" lcd bar perfectly.  I switched to the original xaml code and changed vertical alignment to "Top".

ntrol xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
             xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
             xmlns:mc="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/markup-compatibility/2006"
             xmlns:d="http://schemas.microsoft.com/expression/blend/2008"
             mc:Ignorable="d"
             d:DesignHeight="562"
             d:DesignWidth="1000"
             HorizontalAlignment="Stretch"
             VerticalAlignment="Stretch"
             FocusVisualStyle="{x:Null}"
             BorderThickness="0"
             Margin="0"
             Padding="0"
             Background="#000">
	<Grid VerticalAlignment="Stretch" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch">
        <Image Source="{Binding Path=SelectedGame.MarqueeImagePath}" Stretch="Uniform" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Top" RenderOptions.BitmapScalingMode="HighQuality" />
    </Grid>
</UserControl>

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2018 at 9:55 PM, RetroHumanoid said:

Try adding this to your xaml file...It's from mine that I set up...if it does not fit still,then try changing grid settings (I'm betting you need Grid.RowSpan="3".Once you establish a grid,it's easy to manipulate the objects on the screen. Make sure to add it just before </UserControl> and change the path to the marquee,to wherever you keep your marquees (both paths need to be changed)

<!-- GRID DEFINITIONS -->

<Grid Height="1080" Width="1920">
        <Grid.ColumnDefinitions>                        
            <ColumnDefinition Width="1*" />
    </Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
        <Grid.RowDefinitions>
            <RowDefinition Height="*" />
        </Grid.RowDefinitions>

<!-- GAME MARQUEE -->

<Image Source="{Binding Path=SelectedGame.MarqueeImagePath}" Stretch="fill" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Top" RenderOptions.BitmapScalingMode="HighQuality" />
            <TextBlock x:Name="GameMarquee" Visibility="Visible">
                <TextBlock.Text>
                    <MultiBinding StringFormat="{}pack://siteoforigin:,,,/
Marquees/Game Marquee/{0}/_Default.png">
                    <Binding Path="SelectedGame.Platform"/>
                    </MultiBinding>
                </TextBlock.Text>
            </TextBlock>
        <Image x:Name="MainMarquee"
Grid.RowSpan="4" Grid.Row="0" Grid.ColumnSpan="8" Grid.Column="0" Source="{Binding Text, ElementName=GameMarquee, FallbackValue='pack://siteoforigin:,,,/Marquees/Game Marquee/_Default.png'}" Opacity="100" Stretch="fill" Panel.ZIndex="1" RenderOptions.BitmapScalingMode="HighQuality" />

</Grid>

Hey thanks heaps for this, it almost worked perfectly for me, I just have two small issues, hoping you could assist please? I reduced the rows to 3, fits better, but the bottom 1/2 inch of my image is cutoff. I'm guessing I could somehow reduce the height of the rows, to make it fill the correct height.. , but cant figure it out, any suggestions? 

And the 'default' fall back. How do I enforce that as LB always just displays box art if there's no marquee, very annoying. 

I saw somewhere that someone used the clear logos as a fall back if no marquee, I'd love to work out how to do that. 

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by Chillijason

41 minutes ago, Chillijason said:

Hey thanks heaps for this, it almost worked perfectly for me, I just have two small issues, hoping you could assist please? I reduced the rows to 3, fits better, but the bottom 1/2 inch of my image is cutoff. I'm guessing I could somehow reduce the height of the rows, to make it fill the correct height.. , but cant figure it out, any suggestions? 

And the 'default' fall back. How do I enforce that as LB always just displays box art if there's no marquee, very annoying. 

I saw somewhere that someone used the clear logos as a fall back if no marquee, I'd love to work out how to do that. 

Thanks in advance! 

By reducing the rows you now need to reduce the Grid.RowSpan It is currently set to 4 and you have only 3 rows. 

12 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Can you share the xaml file and a screen shot of what you are seeing. 

Thanks... here's the xaml so far, screenshots too... see just the bottom is snipped?

<Grid Height="1080" Width="1920" VerticalAlignment="Stretch" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch">
        <Grid.ColumnDefinitions>                        
        </Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
        <Grid.RowDefinitions>
        </Grid.RowDefinitions>

<!-- GAME MARQUEE -->

<Image Source="{Binding Path=SelectedGame.MarqueeImagePath}" Stretch="Fill" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Top" RenderOptions.BitmapScalingMode="HighQuality" />
            <TextBlock x:Name="GameMarquee" Visibility="Visible">
                <TextBlock.Text>
                    <MultiBinding StringFormat="{}pack://siteoforigin:,,,/Arcade - Marquee/Default.png">
                    <Binding Path="SelectedGame.Platform"/>
                    </MultiBinding>
                </TextBlock.Text>
            </TextBlock>
        <Image x:Name="MainMarquee" Grid.RowSpan="3" Grid.Row="0" Grid.ColumnSpan="8" Grid.Column="0" Source="{Binding Text, ElementName=GameMarquee, FallbackValue='pack://siteoforigin:,,,/Arcade - Marquee/Default.png'}" Opacity="100" Stretch="fill" Panel.ZIndex="1" RenderOptions.BitmapScalingMode="HighQuality" />

</Grid>

2.png

1.png

Yeah!

so... i made the grid height 966 (which is 3 x my actual 322 height) and set VerticalAlignment to 'Top' and it's now perfect :)

thanks heaps for your help with this, i'm in the process of migrating a perfect Hyperspin setup to LB/BB and the Marquees were going to be a deal breaker for me.

Do you know how to make clear logos appear for unknown marquees instead of boxart? i cant seem to change the folder priority.

cheers