LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox.Next broke my Launchbox :(

We1Dont7Die

I tried launchbox.next for the first time and everything looked good, until i clicked options. Launchbox next crashed. When I reopened it, my entire library is gone! I then opened standard Launchbox, and everything is in Arabic and the font size seems to have changed. "All Platforms" is missing, and none of the artwork or descriptions, or videos show up. As I cant read Arabic, i need a way to get it back to English. 

Capture.PNG

Edited by We1Dont7Die

On your LaunchBox screen just below the Arabic text which ends with David there are six options. Select the fifth from the left one. Now select the bottom option in the new box. Now open the dropdown language box that is set for Arabic and select English. Finally click the box at bottom left with the green tick in it. Restart LaunchBox and you should be back on English.

Odd. It sounds like somehow your XML files got corrupted @We1Dont7Die when LaunchBox.Next crashed. I guess this is why we always emphasize that people need backups if they use the betas especially. Regardless, I'm sorry that happened. Your best bet to get things back the way they were is to try and restore XML files from the LaunchBox\Backups folder. Let us know if you need help with that. If you have a complete separate backup, all the better.

Just now, Jason Carr said:

Odd. It sounds like somehow your XML files got corrupted @We1Dont7Die when LaunchBox.Next crashed. I guess this is why we always emphasize that people need backups if they use the betas especially. Regardless, I'm sorry that happened. Your best bet to get things back the way they were is to try and restore XML files from the LaunchBox\Backups folder. Let us know if you need help with that. If you have a complete separate backup, all the better.

I have a mirror of the install prior to updating to beta 7 today and launching .next. I hope theres nothing hidden somewhere in my good install that will affect this in the future...it works flawlessly otherwise.

I could reproduce the crash and give you the error that launchbox throws

Edit: heres what happens when i open launchbox.next and click Tools , Options on a good  launchbox install

Capture.thumb.PNG.c963b14202222df68efea2f73f74ddb6.PNG

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 8.2-beta-7
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    Void (Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.OptionsForm, System.Object, System.EventArgs)
Source:  LaunchBox

at (OptionsForm , Object , EventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.OptionsForm.deviceComboBox_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(Int32 value)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.OptionsForm.enableGamepadCheckBox_CheckedChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.CheckBox.OnCheckedChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.CheckBox.set_CheckState(CheckState value)
   at System.Windows.Forms.CheckBox.set_Checked(Boolean value)
   at (OptionsForm )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.OptionsForm.LoadValues()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.OptionsForm.OptionsForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Recent Log:

10:49:40 PM Exception

I see now that the reason it went to arabic was because the Options menu that shows after i bypass this error has arabic set by default for some reason, and i simply clicked OK without noticing. If i dont select arabic and just cancel the options menu, .next doesnt shut down, but will throw that error whenever i try to go to Options. If i happen to just click ok on the options screen with arabic selected, Launcbox.Next says it needs to update the language and video engine settings and then starts up like this

Capture.thumb.PNG.dc3e0e3488e7281793606f6982bfbe09.PNG

I don't care about the language thing, its just the options menu is bugged. I hope this helps in some way. You can mark this closed as it seems to have been the inadvertent language switch that really did a number on my install.

Edited by We1Dont7Die