LaunchBox Community Forums

SEGA Saturn stuck on system settings menu in Mednafen

flatuswalrus

I don't use retroarch but the standalone emulator, funny enough when I tried booting a game like normal today it's working fine. I didn't do anything different except turn off my computer and turn it back on today. Will let you let you know if anything pops up

3 hours ago, JaceRaster said:

Ok so I put tthe bios with the exe, I'm still getting the boot up into the menu. I know you said it could be the rom itself so I tried 3 different bin and cues of the same game and I'm still getting the menu.

I know you said you don't use Retroarch, does that mean you do not have it on your computer at all? I was against it for a while as I found it to be a pain in the butt but I came around to it. If you already have those two BIOS files you just place them in the Retroarch system folder and download the core, that should be it. After trying both I found Retroarch easier, though I am not trying to talk you out of Mednafen.

2 minutes ago, JaceRaster said:

I'm not used to retroarch and I didn't have it downloaded but I'll take your advise and try it out

It can be daunting and frustrating at first but like most things once you learn it is pretty easy and good. I like how for whatever system you emulate with it that it automatically has the buttons mapped/configured with the XBOX/PS controllers (if you have one).

8 minutes ago, JaceRaster said:

I downloaded retroarch, the core, and moved the bios and it works great! I'll take your advice and try to learn about it. Also I always use ds4 windows so I never knew that it supported ps4 controls natively :P

That is great to hear, I am glad it worked for you so easily. I also use DS4 and have found it to be of great help along with Controller Companion.

4 hours ago, JaceRaster said:

I downloaded retroarch, the core, and moved the bios and it works great! I'll take your advice and try to learn about it. Also I always use ds4 windows so I never knew that it supported ps4 controls natively :P

The PS3/PSP (XMB) interface makes retroarch so much simpler to setup and use than what it was with the RGUI interface.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I had this issue too.  If you have a controller plugged in when you drag the game file to the mednafen executable file, it will open the menu for system settings for some reason.  I unplugged my controller (ps4, I wasn't using DS4 windows at the moment I did this) and then when I booted up the game it worked.  It might not solve the issue, but I hope it worked for me.