LaunchBox Community Forums

Apogee BK-01: How to Setup MAME softwarelists in RetroArch x RocketLauncher x LaunchBox

DrMaxwell

Starting a series of setup videos for LaunchBox x RetroArch x RocketLauncher.
1142371472_ApogeeBK-01.thumb.png.29c0b15f948ac7fee457bd19e9375d63.pngPlatform: Apogee BK-01
Emulator: RetroArch
Core: MAME
Driver: apogee
Romset: MAME softwarelist

Video - Table of Contents

This is how you properly load the MAME core in RetroArch using softwarelists. In the video I cover the following: toc.thumb.PNG.8381c6100c82c20df2361401ed407d1c.PNG1. Usage Instructions - How to load the cassettes through RetroArch (RA), switching between fully and partially emulated keyboard, load data blocks and play.

2. Identify Media Type - How to identify which media type to use and in which slot as well as crosscheck driver maturity to know whether emulation is possible or not for other MAME systems using MESSUI.

3. Edit RetroArch AHK - To load this system through RocketLauncher (RL), you will need to modify the AHK module. I'll show you how to do it to add this system and get it running in RL through RA.

4. Platform Overview - Lightly touching on how the Emulator and Associated Platforms are setup in LaunchBox before an in-depth walkthrough stepping you through the process and thinking behind it.

5. MAME Folder Structures - How to correctly place your MAME softwarelist roms and softwarelist bios files so they load correctly through RA without altering Emulator or Associated Platforms in Launchbox beyond the basic script.

6. Platform Setup - A detailed walkthrough of setting up and importing softwarelist roms. In this case, we don't use the Hash descriptions because this Russian system uses the same naming convention as the shortlist title.

7. Apogee Media Pack - Discuss the Clear logos [x104] I created about three years ago for HyperSpin. Download found here in the download section.

8. Troubleshooting - Briefly discuss the retroarch-core-options.cfg and provide an example of what will work with this setup.

Apogee Testimonials:
testimonial.thumb.PNG.9bcfff83f2520bc86fe0f89545808911.PNGEmulator:
229146750_emulatordetails.thumb.PNG.7950c34f8f3b110477c8147c3020c682.PNGAssociated Platforms:
660059607_associatedplatforms.thumb.PNG.82f74d76e357833fb15cbfdb2f1a8f7e.PNG
Bit of history about me:
I've been in the emulation scene over 24 years and just recently came out of a 2 years hiatus.

I started a website to record the systems I've started collecting, curating and emulating again; I have an FTP server for hosting everything and Discord Channel that you're welcome to join to come and pick my brains about system setups. Everything is free and I'm doing this as my hobby.

I'll try to reply to comments in this thread, as well as, the video if you need further instructions. Please let me know if this was useful or not by leaving a comment in my YouTube video, liking, subscribing and sharing to someone else in the community. 

I have been banned for life from the HyperSpin community for trying to redistribute media and setup non supported systems such as the one in the video here. I had about 500 systems setup before I took my 2 year hiatus and plan to help this community grow through this video series.

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/EmulationClub/
Discord Channel Invite (I'm most active here): https://discord.gg/9jWkE4V

• Thanks 1

Welcome back DrMaxwell. :)

Two questions:

One, could you share your RA module for the lazy?

Two, you set it up in Rocketlauncher, but then you set up RetroArch as the emulator in Launchbox, which as far as I know means Launchbox isn't using Rocketlauncher. You have to set up Rocketlauncher as your emulator in Launchbox, correct?

3 minutes ago, fromlostdays said:

Welcome back DrMaxwell. :)

Two questions:

One, could you share your RA module for the lazy?

Two, you set it up in Rocketlauncher, but then you set up RetroArch as the emulator in Launchbox, which as far as I know means Launchbox isn't using Rocketlauncher. You have to set up Rocketlauncher as your emulator in Launchbox, correct?

Yup and yup. I prefer to load it straight through RetroArch instead of having RocketLauncher load it up. It's setup for both though and you just need to simply change emulator from RetroArch to RocketLauncher in LaunchBox and it will load once you have it running in RocketLauncher.

Put this AHK

RetroArch.ahk

In this folder
directory.thumb.PNG.992a6987955b9b8b6d330e7884f0ce75.PNG

5 minutes ago, fromlostdays said:

Thanks for the module! I've been hoping RL would update it proper to add more / all the systems RA can actually emulate using the previous mess core and now the mame core, but... it's a lot haha. 

Yeah, I will add more as I go. I usually just use RetroArch and skip RocketLauncher but I've added just because I know people will have difficulty with it.

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, mcfilmmakers said:

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but you mention getting the media from emulationclub.com but I don't see any way to do that. Can you let me know how to find the clear logos you used?

First post Step 7

Edited by wallmachine
  • Haha 1