LaunchBox Community Forums

8bitdo SF30 PRO + SFC30 A+B keybinds (forward+backward) reversed in BigBox

Z3R0B4NG

Ahoy...   

i have a bunch of retro controllers, i swap between them on the fly in Big Box and Retro Arch (works almost flawlessly out of the box, very convenient)  

to be specific i have the SF30 PRO and the SFC30  (...AND THEN SOME)
both SNES styled pads.  

the issue i am having is that the A and B button keybinds react reversed on both controllers within Big Box.  

i press B on the SF30 PRO and it goes forward / starts the game  
i press B on the SFC30 and it backs out of the current menu.  

A is also reversed.  

this is a bit irritating when swapping between pads on the fly, especially since the facebuttons are identical on these 2 pads (i could understand when the ABXY buttons are in a different order, like on the Xbox 360 or PlayStation pads, that stuff is just a mess).  

i'm not sure how to trouble shoot this right now... but for starters it would be good to know if i can change the keybinds in Big Box for one pad without it applying to the other? 
keep in mind those are bluetooth pads, i connect and disconnect them on the fly so only one is visible to the PC at the same time.  

Depending on how you turn on the SF30 Pro it can alter the button layout. 

Starting it holding X (blue) and start turns it on in X-input mode and will reverse the A and B. 

Starting it holding B (yellow) and start will turn it on in SF30 Pro standard SNES/NES layout and the A and B will be as you are used to. In the manual this shows as Android mode, but it does keep the A/B as normal. 

Depending on how you started it the first time you set it up the controller will remember the last setting if you just hold start to turn on it each time after. 

I recently bought two SF30 Pro controllers and two 8BitDo bluetooth adapters (I found out they can only have one controller connected and had to buy a second one). I am thinking of just getting a generic little usb bluetooth dongle and using the 8BitDo ones for my Switch. I have found that when both controllers are connected they switch between player 1 and player 2 in both RetroArch and Windows games like Ultra SFIV. Not sure if that is a Windows issue or if it will be resolved with another generic dongle. I'd appreciate if anyone has any insight on that.

5 minutes ago, Charco said:

I recently bought two SF30 Pro controllers and two 8BitDo bluetooth adapters (I found out they can only have one controller connected and had to buy a second one). I am thinking of just getting a generic little usb bluetooth dongle and using the 8BitDo ones for my Switch. I have found that when both controllers are connected they switch between player 1 and player 2 in both RetroArch and Windows games like Ultra SFIV. Not sure if that is a Windows issue or if it will be resolved with another generic dongle. I'd appreciate if anyone has any insight on that.

I wonder if that is due to the dongle and/or using two dongles at the same time? I have 3 (SF30 Pro, SN30 Pro, and F30 Pro)  that I use on the same generic bluetooth dongle and as long as I turn them on in order they work fine keeping the player position. 

• Like 1

Ok, that does sound like a better option. Can you give me a link to the bluetooth dongle you use @Retro808? Also, I am on Windows 7.

I have also noticed that both controllers have the green light for player 1 lit up instead of player 1 on controller 1 and player 2 on controller 2.

I just use the Bluetooth that came with the Motherboard, anything up to 5 years old should have Bluetooth on-board already, at least for Windows there should be no dongle required unless you are using some ancient system.  

(check your manual, chances are it is just disabled in your BIOS)

I only bought a Bluetooth dongle for my super old 90's PC that i wanted to use for DOS + Win9x games with Voodoo 3 2000 and some EAX soundcard etc. but then never went for it (some day!), i made sure the driver was compatible with Win 95/98 and tried it once and it was a PITA to setup because you needed to pair it each time you wanted to use it.  
(i had the silly idea to use that retro PC also for emulation, that was a few months before i actually got into emulation and found out how the entire scene exploded over the past few years, now i'm using my 5GHz 7700K gaming PC of course [single threaded speed is still king]).  

ok back to the 8bitdo pads.  

i noticed i set most of them up so they turn on when i just press Start, that starts them as Generic Bluetooth Gamepad, if i press X + Start it starts them as X Input Device and A+B are the correct way around... next problem was that RetroArch then decided to not see the D-Pad on the SFC30 so i fiddled around with config options there again... but i think i got it now.  

Only annoyance is that now i have to double check all my gamepads and from now on i have to start them all, EXCEPT for the SFC30 PRO by pressing X + Start or they won't connect.  

The Nintendo 64 pad (i hate that thing, just bought it as a joke because its so terrible and for the 3 times a year i want to emulate N64 as shitty as it originally was ) ... doesn't have an X button though, not sure how to get that one connected into Xinput mode... if anybody would happen to know that. That would be nice.  

Another thing i noticed is that both 8bitdo Pads that have analog sticks use the D-Pad as P.O.V. hat in the windows config, the other 2 pads that don't have sticks use the D-Pad as analog input like sticks instead... i guess that is what is throwing Retro Arch off.  (i just hope i don't have to config that for each core now... ugh that would suck)

Edited by Z3R0B4NG

16 minutes ago, Z3R0B4NG said:

I just use the Bluetooth that came with the Motherboard, anything up to 5 years old should have Bluetooth on-board already, at least for Windows there should be no dongle required unless you are using some ancient system.

Depends on the type of board you get, if you go more budget things like wi fi and bluetooth are things they omit to keep the price low. I have a 3rd gen i5 and my motherboard doesn't have either wi fi or Bluetooth.

Yeah i didn't think about budget stuff, i don't upgrade my CPU that often and when i do i make sure it's at least nice mid range and can overclock well so all boards i had contact with were at least better mid-range boards with overclocking options.  

I just assumed that this stuff is so small and cheap now that the lower end stuff would have it by default as well. TIL ...

While we are on the subject, I have been unable to use the SF30 Pro controller in Dolphin for Gamecube games, even though @neil9000 said his is just recognised as an xinput controller. Mine is unresponsive. I can try again once I get a new BT dongle and see if it makes any difference.

1 minute ago, Charco said:

While we are on the subject, I have been unable to use the SF30 Pro controller in Dolphin for Gamecube games, even though @neil9000 said his is just recognised as an xinput controller. Mine is unresponsive. I can try again once I get a new BT dongle and see if it makes any difference.

Yeah im guessing the dongle is doing something there as it does format conversions of controllers to make them work on systems they are not supposed to. Mine works fine in Dolphin and im guessing @Retro808 works OK as well?

• Like 1

OK, so now i have the next stupid AF problem.  

The SFC30 is now properly connected in Xinput mode, but RetroArch does not see the D-Pad anymore by default, i have to go into the config and re-bind it.  (so whoever made the default config for the SFC30 pad for RA made the same silly mistake of connecting it wrong that i did !? ) ...after that it works fine. It even still works when i disconnect it and connect the SF30 PRO without it messing up, so the config is saved per pad, which is good so the on the fly swapping isn't broken by this.  

PROBLEM is, when i restart retro arch it has forgotten the config again and i have to do it all over again.  Each time i start a game through Big Box.  

I pressed the save config button in the RA main menu (i want the pads to work globally with every core, so i change the input config in the main menu, for some reason RA has the keybind settings in the main menu AND in the quick menu for the game/core, i guess so you can change it on a per game basis? ...makes sense for N64 i guess)...  

anyway i restart retroarch and the keybinds are just forgotten, what the hell am i doing wrong now?