LaunchBox Community Forums

Pause Menu

bbweiners

Hi,

I started working on Pause Menus for some different emulators (RetroArch, Dolphin, Demul, PCSX2 and KAT5200). I'm going to post the RetroArch one in 3rd party apps and here. If people like it or are interested, I'll start posting my other ones as well. Please read the, Read Me.txt, file for info on how to set it up.

Thanks

PauseMenuButtons.png

Edited by bbweiners
  • Like 3

@Styphelus You could use it as a replacement if you wanted to. Right now it allows you to pause, exit the emulator, save and load states. It currently works with Retroarch, but I plan to add support for other emulators as well. If you're not currently using the Rocketlauncher pause menu, this is much easier to setup.

Edited by bbweiners
  • Like 1

I managed to get the pause menu to work with dolphin by editing the hotkey script, but the only thing that i couldn't get to work was saveing a save state through the pause menu, because in dolphin, the hotkey to make a save state is LShift+f1 and i couldnt get the send key command work in the AHK, but loading save states works since its just f1 in dolphin. Thank you for creating the pause menu. I love it.

Edited by ea4492

Wow!  bbweiners, thank you so much for this!  This is absolutely great.  I was able to fiddle around with this and added the Pause Menu for PCSX2 and SNES9x.  Unfortunately, the other emulators would not work no matter what I changed (i.e. Project64, Fusion, ePSXe).  I wished that I understood it better.  In either case,  I hope that you that you will continue to add support for the other emulators as well.  This is just so awesome for emulators since we won't have to remember what keys to press for saving and loading states.  Please keep up the good work.  This is a must-have for emulators!

Thanks so much!

3 hours ago, Chris Kant said:

Is it possible to get an preview video for this. I am a bit curious but will not try it yet

Hi Chris!  This is not a Theme.  Instead, by pressing the ESC button it will bring you a menu screen that will let you save or load a game state.  Thereafter, you can resume gaming or quit the emulator altogether.  It's really cool and a great utility for emulators.  In fact, it's so useful and necessary that I believe Jason should integrate something like this in LB/BB.

1 minute ago, funtasticguy said:

Hi Chris!  This is not a Theme.  Instead, by pressing the ESC button it will bring you a menu screen that will let you save or load a game state.  Thereafter, you can resume gaming or quit the emulator altogether.  It's really cool and a great utility for emulators.  In fact, it's so useful and necessary that I believe Jason should integrate something like this in LB/BB.

Pause screen is already planned,it was very highly voted in the last poll.

5 hours ago, bbweiners said:

@Chris Kant I have no way to make a preview video. That's a good idea though. Out of curiosity, why will you not try it yet?

I can imagine that this is a really cool feature. but I don't like to try so many things anymore. if it is cool I will give it a shot else I will overlook that - and saying it is cool would be easier when I can see that in action.

I am still fighting with my setup it is not as flawless as I hope after many years (like saving in Retroarch Mesen Core crash the emulator without any save and so one.

3 hours ago, funtasticguy said:

is there a way to bypass the esc and use the xbox button?

3 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Pause screen is already planned,it was very highly voted in the last poll.

so if this is already in planning directly into BB / LB I will wait for it.

I think we all know jasons pause menu will kick ass, like all his work. But til then this is cool. 

You can give this a try by simply downloading it. If you have ahk installed double click on the pausemenu.ahk. if you dont have it installed copy the autohotkey.exe from launchbox\autohotkey\ to the pausemenu directory and rename it to exactly the same as the pause menu script and then double click on it. Its a simple app with few features.

And u can have the xbox guide button open and close it by adding

Vk07sc000::

{

Send {esc down}{esc up}

}

Return

To the autohotkey tab in launchbox along with the couple of lines in the read me. 

Its also easy to remove this. Delete the pause menu folder and remove the code from the ahk tab in launchbox.

It can be disheartening knowing that jason will come along and blow your pause menu away but the third party app section isnt exploding with activity. So no reason not to to do it. And i enjoy just ahking even knowing it will be supassed. 

yeah people shouldn't shy away from this since Jason is making a pause menu plus it may still be months off before it actually comes to fruition so if you want a pause menu then this could be something to hold you off until then. Me personally I just set hot keys in RetroArch and button combos in MAME and save with my controller with out need of going into any menus but whatever floats users boats is all good.

• Like 1

Here's a vid of @bbweiners pausemenu.

https://youtu.be/otwUdlWrric

I modified his script a little.

https://youtu.be/hVRqSY50WfA

I used a mario theme because its easy to find images that dont need work. Although the images I used arnt great.

My original was supposed to look like this... 

mario.thumb.png.76ae4c7f9ca4a40b919c9ac16449e990.pngWith the black transparent. The buttons are images. But whenever I start the pause menu from within retroarch the buttons are blank, works fine outside retroarch. Also the grey bit around the buttons has to stay there. Otherwise the focus is hidden behind the button image. :( Yeah im not great at themes.

Edit: Forgot to upload the file...

MarioPauseMenu.zip

Edited by jayjay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1