LaunchBox Community Forums

Redundancy???????

kiddanplay

28 minutes ago, Dan said:

Backblaze personal doesn't do NAS though, right? I see that the business plan does "NAS backup via B2" but this costs $5 per terabyte per month. So say you have 25TB of data on your NAS, that is $125 per month or $1500 a year. This is not a tenable solution for a Launchbox user. Is there any affordable way to back up a NAS to the cloud?

Just go with normal backnlaze it will back up all connected and external HDDs cost 5 per month unlimited and encrypted why go the other route at 5 per Tb?

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Because the standard one doesn’t do NAS, right? 

Depends how your NAS is setup I guess...on my main comp I have 6 drives and each of those drives get backed up my LB comp is in essence my “NAS” as it serves as my Plex and audio server as well although if I have a plugged in external it will back that up as well so I guess it just depends on the way you have your NAS integrated....if it’s a traditional NAS setup I can’t speak on that directly as my “nas” is set up as traditional drives within my system each assigned a specific letter within my system.

NAS just mean networked attached storage so if your NAS is a windows PC with the files accessible over the network it should be able to be backed up. I personally use Windows Server 2016 for my NAS so I couldn't use Backblaze home backup although I definitely don't use the server for any type of business purposes.

Just now, DOS76 said:

NAS just mean networked attached storage so if your NAS is a windows PC with the files accessible over the network it should be able to be backed up

Correct. However Backblaze will delete the data from "external" devices if not plugged in every 30 days so if your NAS is USB plug in to your comp you should be able to back it up with no issue however if you remove it longer than 30 days you will have to reup the whole thing again. In a case like mine where I have everything running off of a server with multiple lettered drives it thinks its one big system and will retain the data "forever"

Just now, DOS76 said:

yeah I have my externals constantly plugged in some have been running for over 7 years at this point.

NICE! what kind of HDDs do you have that have been cruising for 7 years at 24/7?? reds? ...I'm actually rough drafting designs now for my LB setup and I'm looking to build in HDD support for up to 26 Drives as it does act as my NAS for my house and I do keep it on 24/7

Just now, DOS76 said:

It also only sets up a single folder on each drive that contains the pool itself and all drives are still in ntfs and can be pulled and accessed from any computer.

yeah that is one thing I need to get a lot better at is networking like that... I have basic basic knowledge but...I need to brush up on it big time because when I leave PCS back from Cuba to the states and we buy a house I want to do a full blown server room with whole home audio, video, and I would also like to explore a whole home arcade setup where my kids rooms and main arcade are networked into the same ROM library without having to house individual drives...or I just buy them PI's slap an image on it and be done with it lol... either way I still need to get brushed up on my networking as I do want a sick home automation system

well when I say pulled and accessed I mean if I had an issue I could remove the drive from the server and physically plug it in to another PC. I'm using Windows Server 2016 for the OS and that allows you to easily create shared folders which once you enter the user credentials from the server on the client allows you to easily access the folders so it does work over my network for all clients but doesn't really take much in depth knowledge of  networking. then for video and audio I use Plex and Subsonic servers so most of the work is done for you by those applications

2 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

well when I say pulled and accessed I mean if I had an issue I could remove the drive from the server and physically plug it in to another PC. I'm using Windows Server 2016 for the OS and that allows you to easily create shared folders which once you enter the user credentials from the server on the client allows you to easily access the folders so it does work over my network for all clients but doesn't really take much in depth knowledge of  networking. then for video and audio I use Plex and Subsonic servers so most of the work is done for you by those applications

Interesting...I may have to look into a copy of windows server then...I use Plex currently for my media and was kicking around what I want to use for my audio however I just got down to Cuba in April of this year and were on contract down here till 2023 so I have a couple years to let new systems come out and evolve and evaluate prior to our rotation back to the states. Ideally I would like to have an iPad in every room wall mounted with speakers in each room that each user can designate what they want to listen to in their room while at the same time having the ability to go whole home by zone from one stationary device... I know were way off topic from the initial thread...so ill leave it at that but I may be racking your brain in the future lol!

18 hours ago, DOS76 said:

NAS just mean networked attached storage so if your NAS is a windows PC with the files accessible over the network it should be able to be backed up. I personally use Windows Server 2016 for my NAS so I couldn't use Backblaze home backup although I definitely don't use the server for any type of business purposes.

My NAS is not a Windows PC - it is an actual NAS - Synology DS1812+. The files are accessible from my PC over the network (ethernet). It was my understanding that the standard Backblaze would not cover this and that I would have to go the uber-expensive business route as described above. Delighted to be corrected if I am wrong!

• 2 weeks later...

Backups are in my opinion a must. I use FreeNAS in a raid mirrored setup, and every week another Linux box powers up and incrementally backs up the NAS using rsync. It's efficient, and while not an off-site backup it gives me plenty peace of mind. I've had an off the shelf NAS crap out on me in the past, and even though it was internally mirrored both copies were toast; painful. I'll not make that mistake again.

• 2 months later...

For what its worth I am currently removing my 4 bay Synology NAS and going to a i5 win10 machine with two 8TB USB 30 drives attached to it. One drive is Primary, the other is a mirror that is always auto sync mirroring with FreeFileSync and I have back blaze encrypting a copy of the primary drive. I also have another 8TB drive that is USB30 attached to my other win10 machine in the other room that is doing a sync from time to time of the primary drive.

The big reason for this is I run Plex and I have my final Retro collection and some other project media work that I have done so I that is time spent collecting and ensuring it is solid so performance isn't of a concern. Additionally the costs of another NAS to grow into will cost me a lot more than what I really need to begin with. In the end the transition has worked out well for me.