LaunchBox Community Forums

I can't make 8.7 work

Bodine Grunch

28 minutes ago, TheM.O.MXIII said:

We've been stuck at 5.0 for like 3 or more years now, and it's the same with being stuck at PCSX2 1.4.0 stable builds.

We need a replacement for PCSX2. PCSX2 is such utter dog shit, and it's code is a mess that no one but the original developers can develop for, cuz they're constantly making dumb ass decisions all the time. Think about this, they still use x86 architecture, and refuse to use the obviously superior x64 architecture, (STUPID!) and they still use plugins for their emulators to this day (STUPID!) while most of the others has abandoned that monstrosity a long time ago for bigger, and better things. PCSX2 is living in the past, and needs to get with the times, or be left behind.

1.4.0 has been irrelevant for years (because it's literally 2+ years old at this point), that doesn't mean that 1.4.0 is what you or anyone else should be using if you want to emulate PS2, and it doesn't mean that PCSX2, in it's current state, is shit. 1.5.0 is actually pretty good, and leagues beyond 1.4.0. It gets updated literally multiple times a day. It's come a long way since 1.4.0. Many many games that literally wouldn't do anything in 1.4.0 work great in current builds. Don't be too quick to shit on it. Can (and will) something else better come along years from now? It's pretty much a guarantee. So what? That doesn't mean that ZSNES wasn't great for what we had at our disposal in the 90s. The same goes for ePSXe or anything else. Bleem, in retrospect, was "shit" compared to Mednafen too, but it was still amazing for its time. There's always something better on the horizon, but that doesn't necessarily mean what's at your disposal now is "shit" either.

image.thumb.png.605ce196015a96dc0dac714af5f97d4b.png

1 hour ago, Zombeaver said:

1.4.0 has been irrelevant for years (because it's literally 2+ years old at this point), that doesn't mean that 1.4.0 is what you or anyone else should be using if you want to emulate PS2, and it doesn't mean that PCSX2, in it's current state, is shit. 1.5.0 is actually pretty good, and leagues beyond 1.4.0. It gets updated literally multiple times a day. It's come a long way since 1.4.0. Many many games that literally wouldn't do anything in 1.4.0 work great in current builds. Don't be too quick to shit on it. Can (and will) something else better come along years from now? It's pretty much a guarantee. So what? That doesn't mean that ZSNES wasn't great for what we had at our disposal in the 90s. The same goes for ePSXe or anything else. Bleem, in retrospect, was "shit" compared to Mednafen too, but it was still amazing for its time. There's always something better on the horizon, but that doesn't necessarily mean what's at your disposal now is "shit" either.

image.thumb.png.605ce196015a96dc0dac714af5f97d4b.png

Then why hasn't PCSX2 added the 1.5.0 versions to their stable repositories yet? It's been over two years! What are they waiting for? Why hasn't Dolphin added anything other than 5.0 to their stable repositories yet? They add nightlies all the time too, and yet it's been over 3 years since they've had anything stable updated yet. What are they waiting for? @Jason Carr does Beta updates all the time too, but he also does stable updates constantly as well which is the way it should be done. He actually does things right unlike these other developers. I've always been taught to stay away from anything that's labeled Alpha, Beta, Nightly, Development, Testing, Unstable etc if I don't want to have to worry about potential breakage, and other problems, and if I want things to be as stable as possible which I do. Anything that's not stable is not meant to be for practical everyday use, or for serious use as your primary gaming setup, and shouldn't be treated as such. Most websites even say that under their Beta downloads. I can't trust, nor use something until it's considered stable. Besides you didn't even mention my two most important points. PCSX2 is shit because of the stubborn developers who even admitted in their forums that they don't plan on upgrading to x64 anytime soon which is the most idiotic design choice out of the history of software developing. Everyone knows that x86 is an inferior architecture, and only exists because of compatibility, but other than that it is outdated, and obsolete, and x64 should completely replace it as the only way to go at some point, and by then we might have 120 bit. The point however is that continuing to use x86 just cuz it's easier, and they don't want to take the time to develop for x64 is just lazy, and pathetic, and there's no real justifiable excuse for it. The second point is that they continue to use the obsolete inferior plugin system, and refuse to move on to plugin free setups, which again is the dumbest design choice in the history of software developing, and is again only being used still cuz it's easier which again means pathetic lazy excuses to stick with shit rather than taking the time, and effort to upgrade to what's currently best, and superior. So until they decide to get their heads out of their asses, and actually make some real changes, PCSX2 will continue to be ePSXe levels of shit.

Edited by TheM.O.MXIII

Well now that the thread is truly off the rails let's just end this discussion here and if you don't like how the PCSX2 devs do their thing you should go and do it better yourself instead of shit talking them. It's an open source project so you can go and fix all the issues you have with it yourself.

If you got issues with the devs go post on their forums and tell them how you feel instead being a jerk here and calling them "lazy", "pathetic" and "dumb". They do what they do in their free time, they don't get paid for it so you can either accept it and use it with its limitations or don't use it and wait for something better to come along if you can't make it yourself.

4 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Well now that the thread is truly off the rails let's just end this discussion here and if you don't like how the PCSX2 devs do their thing you should go and do it better yourself instead of shit talking them. It's an open source project so you can go and fix all the issues you have with it yourself.

If you got issues with the devs go post on their forums and tell them how you feel instead being a jerk here and calling them "lazy", "pathetic" and "dumb". They do what they do in their free time, they don't get paid for it so you can either accept it and use it with its limitations or don't use it and wait for something better to come along if you can't make it yourself.

Nicely put. You certainly said it in a lot more civil manner than what I would have said to him. I was also going to say something similar about this thread getting so off topic at this point that's it's unbelievable! This is kind of my fault for starting the off topicness by asking you a bunch of questions about my own PC needs while hijacking someone else's thread in the process.

1 hour ago, TheM.O.MXIII said:

Then why hasn't PCSX2 added the 1.5.0 versions to their stable repositories yet? It's been over two years! What are they waiting for?

I don't know. But 1.5.0 is at everyone's disposal and has been for quite some time. https://pcsx2.net/download/development.html

I've always been taught to stay away from anything that's labeled Alpha, Beta, Nightly, Development, Testing, Unstable etc if I don't want to have to worry about potential breakage, and other problems, and if I want things to be as stable as possible which I do. Anything that's not stable is not meant to be for practical everyday use, or for serious use as your primary gaming setup, and shouldn't be treated as such. Most websites even say that under their Beta downloads. I can't trust, nor use something until it's considered stable.

Except that, as we've already established, it's been in the testing phase for literally two+ years. You're not going to break anything. I've probably already setup whatever game you want to use with it for you.

PCSX2 is shit because of the stubborn developers who even admitted in their forums that they don't plan on upgrading to x64 anytime soon which is the most idiotic design choice out of the history of software developing. Everyone knows that x86 is an inferior architecture, and only exists because of compatibility, but other than that it is outdated, and obsolete, and x64 should completely replace it as the only way to go at some point, and by then we might have 120 bit. The point however is that continuing to use x86 just cuz it's easier, and they don't want to take the time to develop for x64 is just lazy, and pathetic, and there's no real justifiable excuse for it.

Except that's not going to provide some kind of miraculous benefit in its current state. x64 doesn't just magically make everything better, despite what you seem to think. PCSX2 certainly has issues (primarily on the accuracy front), but they're not going to be resolved simply by slapping x64 in there. If you'd like to make it better though, feel free to contribute. It's open source after all.

The second point is that they continue to use the obsolete inferior plugin system

This is true. It could certainly be better. It's also not the end of the world. 

You can choose different video drivers to use in Retroarch too. You download different, individual cores that are separately maintained/updated too. That doesn't suddenly make Retroarch garbage.

[protracted bout of hyperbole, assumptions, and grumbling]

Most of this was just rambling blather about things that you clearly don't know anything about, want to sound like you know something about, and then proceed to get faux-angry about things that you don't know anything about but want to sound like you do.

No one cares. Take that shit back to /r/emulation. I'm sure you'll fit right in.

We don't have flying cars yet either, that doesn't stop me from driving to work in my sad little ground car. You can either use the tools that are at your disposal and are actually fairly sufficient, or you can complain until you're in the grave about how much better things "could be", while contributing nothing to that end no less. You seem to have this idea in your head that the people contributing to the development of PCSX2 are some kind of reprehensible conclave of lazy idiots. They're just people spending their time, using their skills, for free... for you. Maybe try and muster up just a little bit of respect.