LaunchBox Community Forums

8.8-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

i have had now the chance to test the nested folder thing in BigBox.

In launchbox beside some workflow things (like not possible to copy playlist and just change one thing like the platform to have it on every platform etc etc etc) the it is a great feature so far and help to have a better overview. I also want to have a playlist feature where I can choose artwork specific things like -- for this platform show me all games without a video or without an card image etc etc. on the other hand it would be nice to have a good media manager within launchbox.

what I absolutely not like it the way how the playlists are implemented in BigBox.

I choose the platform (i.e. NES) where I have 4 Playlists. in this platform there are no longer any games, and I am only able to choose between the playlists. I always thought (like in Launchbox) choosing the platform gives me all games and the playlists are the playlistwise reduced ones from ALL. and it is really ugly because I don't have clear logos for all or videos and the screen is fully black.

as an Idea... we can go into the platform in BigBox (like NES) then we see all games in it. if we want to have the limited view by Playlist within this platform can we not have a way to choose by playlists like on a specific playlist button? and when we press that button there is the chance to choose between ALL, or the playlists or maybe also included standard playlists like genre, beginning letter or so? what do you think about this @Jason Carr

4 hours ago, Chris Kant said:

i have had now the chance to test the nested folder thing in BigBox.

In launchbox beside some workflow things (like not possible to copy playlist and just change one thing like the platform to have it on every platform etc etc etc) the it is a great feature so far and help to have a better overview. I also want to have a playlist feature where I can choose artwork specific things like -- for this platform show me all games without a video or without an card image etc etc. on the other hand it would be nice to have a good media manager within launchbox.

what I absolutely not like it the way how the playlists are implemented in BigBox.

I choose the platform (i.e. NES) where I have 4 Playlists. in this platform there are no longer any games, and I am only able to choose between the playlists. I always thought (like in Launchbox) choosing the platform gives me all games and the playlists are the playlistwise reduced ones from ALL. and it is really ugly because I don't have clear logos for all or videos and the screen is fully black.

as an Idea... we can go into the platform in BigBox (like NES) then we see all games in it. if we want to have the limited view by Playlist within this platform can we not have a way to choose by playlists like on a specific playlist button? and when we press that button there is the chance to choose between ALL, or the playlists or maybe also included standard playlists like genre, beginning letter or so? what do you think about this @Jason Carr

Everything your wanting to do is available from just me playing around it's a matter of knowing when you want to use a Category then playlist or a playlist alone. I attached a picture if this is what your trying to obtain. in my pic all games and prototypes are playlist because im not breaking them down any further. Genre and 2 player are categories and inside are playlist.

Capture.PNG

I have a category (Consoles) in there I have several platforms (Like Nintendo Entertainment System) and within this platform I have now a few playlists. Why? Because I just added the playlists to my current setup.

even the „if no video for the playlist then use a video from the games within“ is not working.

if I understood you correct then the way of playlists I have in mind is not working as i expected. So I can delete all playlists.

thank you @rexryan

On 9/21/2018 at 5:16 PM, Jason Carr said:

Alright, a whole lot of development went into this one. 8.8-beta-1 is released with the following:

- Improvement: All playlist features are now available for free users instead of only for premium users

- New Feature: Platform Categories, Platforms, and Playlists now have fully flexible nesting. Anything can be placed inside of anything else and nested multiple-levels deep in the Platform Categories view.

Please bear in mind that due to the massive changes, this beta is a bit more involved, so backups are recommended. Extensive testing would be appreciated. :)

Most things are ready to go for the nesting flexibility, but I do still plan to overhaul the right-click menu in the Platform Categories list in the LaunchBox side bar. As of current, it's a bit difficult to add new categories, playlists, and platforms. Currently, you can find an existing category or platform, and right-click on it and select Add to create a new one.

Thought I'd give a little bit of feedback about the Platform Categories nesting - I don't like that a platform is 'forced' to exist somewhere. I have a 'Nintendo Power' platform, and I don't want that in 'Consoles,' 'Arcade,' 'Handhelds,' or 'Computers,' and I don't want it having it's own wheel right on the root, either. I also have a platform called 'Miscellaneous' that has tools and utilities and whatnot, I don't want that in Platform categories at all.

It's a great idea but users should be allowed to exclude anything they choose.

Sorry, @Jason Carr but I am not getting the idea of the playlist and their idea behind it. Maybe more communication and or information for this feature is needed Else it will be a hardcore user feature no one else is really benefiting.

having a playlist within an platform: thought it will be different than the playlist feature in arcade / Mame.

How can I have the right structure ?

2 minutes ago, Chris Kant said:

Sorry, @Jason Carr but I am not getting the idea of the playlist and their idea behind it. Maybe more communication and or information for this feature is needed Else it will be a hardcore user feature no one else is really benefiting.

having a playlist within an platform: thought it will be different than the playlist feature in arcade / Mame.

How can I have the right structure ?

What structure you looking maybe I can help with some Ideas for you.

19 minutes ago, rexryan said:

What structure you looking maybe I can help with some Ideas for you.

I have categories (The usual suspects like computer, arcade, consoles, handheld)

within each categorie I have the platforms (nes, SNES, n64 and so on)

and then i thought I could have instead of all games and the Favoriten included I would have all games and would be able to chose (activate one of the playlists) without making big box complicated. So if I don’t want to look into one of the playlists I can still scroll through all games of that platform.

just for info: the different arcades are not in playlists - I have them in separate  platforms because playlists have not enough information for this. Plus handling emulators are to annoying for me

4 minutes ago, Chris Kant said:

I have categories (The usual suspects like computer, arcade, consoles, handheld)

within each categorie I have the platforms (nes, SNES, n64 and so on)

and then i thought I could have instead of all games and the Favoriten included I would have all games and would be able to chose (activate one of the playlists) without making big box complicated. So if I don’t want to look into one of the playlists I can still scroll through all games of that platform.

just for info: the different arcades are not in playlists - I have them in separate  platforms because playlists have not enough information for this. Plus handling emulators are to annoying for me

Everything you want to do I have setup .At first I thought it was complicated but after doing a couple it is a breeze..I have no problem using Teamviewer and having you look at my set up and helping you achieve your goal.