LaunchBox Community Forums

8.8-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

@MadK9 I haven't forgotten about the performance issue you've gotten me details on. I may see if there's anything I can do about it today, but otherwise it may just have to wait until after the rushed release.

16 hours ago, Bedwyr said:

Hi guys. Random post. I reported a bug/partial-crash here: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/4557/big-box-encounters-occasional-random

I'm leaving BB loaded for the moment and changing power settings to not put the PC to sleep. If anyone wants me to take any investigatory or troubleshooting steps, now's the time.

It's hard to say what's happening here, but my guess would be that somehow it's a focus issue and Big Box isn't getting focused properly again. Can you try using the mouse and clicking on Big Box (even if your mouse cursor is hidden it still should work)? If that fixes it then we'll know that's the issue. I'm not likely to solve that before this rushed release (it's definitely not new for 8.8), but I will look into it. I'm guessing it's happening with a particular emulator or game, etc.

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@MadK9 I haven't forgotten about the performance issue you've gotten me details on. I may see if there's anything I can do about it today, but otherwise it may just have to wait until after the rushed release.

It's hard to say what's happening here, but my guess would be that somehow it's a focus issue and Big Box isn't getting focused properly again. Can you try using the mouse and clicking on Big Box (even if your mouse cursor is hidden it still should work)? If that fixes it then we'll know that's the issue. I'm not likely to solve that before this rushed release (it's definitely not new for 8.8), but I will look into it. I'm guessing it's happening with a particular emulator or game, etc.

I'm afraid I had to shut the program down, but I don't think that was the problem. I was alt-tabbing in and out as well as using the mouse. No change in behavior.

One thought is whether it could have something to do with the BB Kodi launcher. I don't *think* so, but it's possible. Another is that it might have to do with functionality after an update. As in it takes the combination of the update and leaving a game to trigger the behavior. I'm kind of shooting in the dark because I can't replicate what triggers the problem and its fairly rare (every 8-10 runs?).

Also, Retroarch is always the emulator I'm using when this happens but that's just because I prefer to use it for most/all platforms.

Edited by Bedwyr

33 minutes ago, PattersonCZ said:

Try it new version and still have issue. Can i send you some data or something ? Or maybe i am doing something wrong.

The bug was that it previously wasn't saving the Nested Name properly. So you'll have to edit the platform category in order to fix it.

3 minutes ago, Bedwyr said:

I'm afraid I had to shut the program down, but I don't think that was the problem. I was alt-tabbing in and out as well as using the mouse. No change in behavior.

One thought is whether it could have something to do with the BB Kodi launcher. I don't *think* so, but it's possible. Another is that it might have to do with functionality after an update. As in it takes the combination of the update and leaving a game to trigger the behavior. I'm kind of shooting in the dark because I can't replicate what triggers the problem and its fairly rare (every 8-10 runs?).

Also, Retroarch is always the emulator I'm using when this happens but that's just because I prefer to use it for most/all platforms.

Sure. Do you use Rocket Launcher? Other than that, it could be a million things, unfortunately. It could even be something as silly as video drivers. So troubleshooting it isn't likely going to be easy.

49 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

The bug was that it previously wasn't saving the Nested Name properly. So you'll have to edit the platform category in order to fix it.

I do that. I created new categories and nothing. But when i try do that in new Launchbox fresh installation it work. So bassicly make new database. 

1 hour ago, PattersonCZ said:

I do that. I created new categories and nothing. But when i try do that in new Launchbox fresh installation it work. So bassicly make new database. 

Got your data and figured it out; thanks for that. Apparently it's working correctly when the counts are separated to the right but not otherwise.

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Sure. Do you use Rocket Launcher? Other than that, it could be a million things, unfortunately. It could even be something as silly as video drivers. So troubleshooting it isn't likely going to be easy.

I figured as much. Any steps you want me to try or test when it happens again? I can patiently plug away at it. Also: no rocket launcher.

25 minutes ago, Bedwyr said:

I figured as much. Any steps you want me to try or test when it happens again? I can patiently plug away at it. Also: no rocket launcher.

The only thing I can think of for the moment is to kill all running processes and close all background applications to see if that might help. That's a shot in the dark though. It would also be helpful to test on any different PCs (if you have any) with that same collection, to see if by chance it has anything to do with your collection, or if it's machine-specific.

Not sure what I did, but upon pressing "Scanned for Added ROMS" (I think it was All Platforms) just crashed LaunchBox:

The given key was not present in the dictionary.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 8.8-beta-8
Type:    System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException
Site:    TValue get_Item(TKey)
Source:  mscorlib

at System.Collections.Concurrent.ConcurrentDictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
   at (ScanForAddedRomsForPlatformMenuAction , Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.MenuActions.ScanForAddedRomsForPlatformMenuAction.<OnSelect>b__2_0(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

I have not added any new platforms.

Restarting after the crash did not result the same error.

6 hours ago, ZeSystem said:

Not sure what I did, but upon pressing "Scanned for Added ROMS" (I think it was All Platforms) just crashed LaunchBox:

The given key was not present in the dictionary.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 8.8-beta-8
Type:    System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException
Site:    TValue get_Item(TKey)
Source:  mscorlib

at System.Collections.Concurrent.ConcurrentDictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
   at (ScanForAddedRomsForPlatformMenuAction , Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.MenuActions.ScanForAddedRomsForPlatformMenuAction.<OnSelect>b__2_0(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

I have not added any new platforms.

Restarting after the crash did not result the same error.

Thanks, I have this fixed for the official release. Planning on putting it out shortly.

On 10/4/2018 at 7:48 PM, Jason Carr said:

The only thing I can think of for the moment is to kill all running processes and close all background applications to see if that might help. That's a shot in the dark though. It would also be helpful to test on any different PCs (if you have any) with that same collection, to see if by chance it has anything to do with your collection, or if it's machine-specific.

Just ran into it again.

- Ended all non Windows tasks in batches alt-tabbing back into BB to test. No change; d-pad works, top button (X on SNES) loads box art. Nothing else.

- Video snap of the game (Final Fantasy II US) plays after alt-tabbing out and back in.

- Turning on and switching to my XB1 controller: no change. D-pad and top button (Y) works.

- Keyboard, no change.

- Cannot Alt-F4

- Can Ctrl+Shift+Esc

- Windows key responds correctly

- Mouse does not appear in BB.

I've attached today's log.

Debug 2018-10-05 10-18-49 PM.log

Edited by Bedwyr
add file.

Hi Jason,

this Playlist feature ist great. I am diving into this and I like it.

Just from the workflow perspective: is it possible to copy and paste the playlist to different platforms? I will organise each platform with four Playlists (favourites, "not hide", completed, and hide). and to do this each and every time is a bit annoying and maybe there is a simpler trick but I overhead this in this thread.

1348357276_Bildschirmfoto2018-10-06um12_28_25.thumb.png.fc1754086cfe25a67bf1c8faa3eee956.pngalso very helpful would be if I choose a Plattform (as an example) there would be a dropdone choosing possibilities (like in the retroarch emulator settings is available).

good work, I start to like this launchbox more and more. next big thing for me would be a overhaul of the GamesDB

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chris Kant said:

also very helpful would be if I choose a Plattform (as an example) there would be a dropdone choosing possibilities (like in the retroarch emulator settings is available).

This is a good idea, perhaps this will be added in a future update using metadata from the LaunchBox games database.

14 hours ago, Bedwyr said:

Just ran into it again.

- Ended all non Windows tasks in batches alt-tabbing back into BB to test. No change; d-pad works, top button (X on SNES) loads box art. Nothing else.

- Video snap of the game (Final Fantasy II US) plays after alt-tabbing out and back in.

- Turning on and switching to my XB1 controller: no change. D-pad and top button (Y) works.

- Keyboard, no change.

- Cannot Alt-F4

- Can Ctrl+Shift+Esc

- Windows key responds correctly

- Mouse does not appear in BB.

I've attached today's log.

Debug 2018-10-05 10-18-49 PM.log

Okay, so it doesn't look like it's a focus issue after all. That DirectX exception in the logs is interesting, though it doesn't really explain why the keyboard fails as well. My best guess is that maybe it's some kind of really strange controller conflict or something of that nature. What controller(s) are you using?