LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox 8.9 Change Log

Lordmonkus

Version 8.9 - Released October 10, 2018

- Improvement: Empty playlists will now show up in the LaunchBox sidebar when viewing platform categories; this should reduce confusion when adding a new playlist and leaving it empty

- Improvement: When manually adding a new platform via right-click in the platform categories list, LaunchBox will now warn you that it's not recommended to manually add platforms and to use the import processes instead. It also warns the user that categories and playlists should be used instead of platforms for nesting purposes.

- Fixed: Add to Playlist functionality was accidentally still restricted to premium

- Fixed: Editing a playlist that had no parents was putting it back into the root by default

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

It also warns the user that categories and playlists should be used instead of platforms for nesting purposes.

I'm hoping... one day... we get a console theme for BB which would allow something like Games -> Platforms. 

I'm guessing as it's only a warning it's still possible to nest platforms. So out of curiosity why the warning about nesting platforms? 

For anyone wondering if they should reimport their MAME fullset with the free launchbox version in order to take advantage of the auto-generated playlists: It now has the functionality to make playlists for 2 & 4 players and Genres, however specific playlists like "Capcom Classics" are still only for premium users (though you can always make them yourself after importing).

Thank you to the Launchbox team for adding playlists for free users!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jayjay said:

I'm hoping... one day... we get a console theme for BB which would allow something like Games -> Platforms. 

I'm guessing as it's only a warning it's still possible to nest platforms. So out of curiosity why the warning about nesting platforms? 

You can nest things however you want, but there's absolutely no reason to nest platforms. You can use Platform Categories (and/or playlists depending on your goals) to achieve the exact same results. The reason we added the warning is exactly because people tend be confused with this. The interface does restrict you from nesting a platform inside of a platform.

2 hours ago, IanD said:

For anyone wondering if they should reimport their MAME fullset with the free launchbox version in order to take advantage of the auto-generated playlists: It now has the functionality to make playlists for 2 & 4 players and Genres, however specific playlists like "Capcom Classics" are still only for premium users (though you can always make them yourself after importing).

Thank you to the Launchbox team for adding playlists for free users!

Ah, I didn't intend for those playlists to be restricted, but I'm still finding places where I need to remove the restriction. I'll do that for the next release.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Ah, I didn't intend for those playlists to be restricted, but I'm still finding places where I need to remove the restriction. I'll do that for the next release.

Awesome, I'm excited for 9.0 (8.95?) I'll make sure to come back here and let you know of any other restrictions if I find them. But as it is, it's pretty damn great. In the meantime, has anyone uploaded the .xml files of those playlists? It would be an easy quick fix for now.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, IanD said:

Awesome, I'm excited for 9.0 (8.95?) I'll make sure to come back here and let you know of any other restrictions if I find them. But as it is, it's pretty damn great. In the meantime, has anyone uploaded the .xml files of those playlists? It would be an easy quick fix for now.

That's a good idea. They could certainly be uploaded to the forums download section.

20 minutes ago, IanD said:

Just a heads up, I reimported my MAME full set and clicked the option to have the playlists auto generated (the ones it would allow) but it appears that LB didn't make any playlists. The Playlist folder is still empty.

@Jason Carr

Does it work if you go to Tools > Create Missing MAME/Arcade playlists?

@Jason Carr

sorry that I respond late but I had no time to test if my issue with teh "relese date" playlists has been solved or not.

Something has changed but unfortunately it is still not fixed. The play lists seem still to be emty at firs. But if I go to the playlist edit menu and save the playlist again, than the games appear in the playlist. however, if I close Launchbox and start it again, than the games are gone and the playlists are empty again.

I have a general problems with trefreshing of the playlists since the nested categories update. If I add a new game to the collection, my playlists are not adding the new game automatically. I need to go to the edit menu of the playlist and save it again. But in contrast to the "release date" playlists, the new game stays in the playlist after a restart.

On 10/13/2018 at 5:11 AM, deliyuerek85 said:

@Jason Carr

sorry that I respond late but I had no time to test if my issue with teh "relese date" playlists has been solved or not.

Something has changed but unfortunately it is still not fixed. The play lists seem still to be emty at firs. But if I go to the playlist edit menu and save the playlist again, than the games appear in the playlist. however, if I close Launchbox and start it again, than the games are gone and the playlists are empty again.

I have a general problems with trefreshing of the playlists since the nested categories update. If I add a new game to the collection, my playlists are not adding the new game automatically. I need to go to the edit menu of the playlist and save it again. But in contrast to the "release date" playlists, the new game stays in the playlist after a restart.

Okay; sounds like I just haven't caught all the places that I need to fix it yet then. I'll keep looking.

On 10/13/2018 at 5:11 AM, deliyuerek85 said:

@Jason Carr

I believe I have this fixed for the next beta. Should be out later today.

5 hours ago, cb_x86 said:

Big Box does not find any ROMs for a new MAME import in Launchbox 8.9.  Old games are fine, but anything new is missing and it cannot find the ROM.

Im not quite sure what you are saying here. The MAME importer is a one shot deal, it imports a whole romset so you shouldnt have old and new games in MAME at the same time unless you are using the old import method, in which case nothing has changed there so anything you import will load as long as the game actually works in MAME. If MAME is telling you it cant find the rom then that is a MAME setup issue, have you told MAME where your roms are? This is essential as they wont work otherwise. Some more details here would be very helpful.

By old, I meant other emulator games that were setup prior to 8.9 update.  Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

The Mame import got all the artwork, but it doesn’t find the ROMs.  So there must be a path issue.  These files are on a different drive, so that could be related.  

I need to find the file that points to the ROMs amd verify the path.  

Thank you for your prompt response!

26 minutes ago, cb_x86 said:

By old, I meant other emulator games that were setup prior to 8.9 update.  Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

Nothing should change there, if they were working before the update they should still be working now,unless something changed on your system, like you moved the games or changed the drive letter.

28 minutes ago, cb_x86 said:

The Mame import got all the artwork, but it doesn’t find the ROMs.  So there must be a path issue.  These files are on a different drive, so that could be related.

Yeah MAME itself has to know where the roms are or they wont work, you can do that in the UI of MAME or by editing the mame.ini in the MAME emulator folder.