LaunchBox Community Forums

Improvements to scan import

Pr0FiT

I haven't used launchbox for awhile due to frustrations with the "scan for new" import feature. I've made tickets and forum posts about it's issues in the past but neither really got any traction / attention from the dev. It doesnt handle mutli disc/track games well, doesn't find already imported games if they are an additional app, no practical way to scan "dump" games (like scumm or ps3 jb). I decided to give it another go today and sadly it looks like it's basically in the same shape. 

So my question is: are there any plans to improve/bug fix this feature or is this as good as it's getting?

No plans as far as I am aware of, it's not something that is commonly brought up.

In my personal opinion I much prefer it the way it is now. In my experience if you went another method you would either have to match your games to a database which would have to be maintained and everyones roms would have to be specifically named to match it or you would just scan every file which has its own set of problems such as importing files you do not want.

by default the scan for added ROMs feature looks in the Games\platformname in the LB folder so if your ROMs are in a separate location it won't see anything new. you can go into tools edit platform and got to the folders tab and edit the location to match the location you are using and then the feature should work.

• 3 weeks later...

I used a windows media center based htpc for a couple of years and they got the whole auto import feature right, so basically you set a platform directory and file format, it scans for new content, tries to match the new rom to a database and then imports it(lb does pretty much the same here), I personally never had any issues with it, even when the games weren't named correctly (for example sonic3knucles.md got sucessfully imported as Sonic 3 + Knuckles). At that time I had most of my stuff stored on a 2tb nas and it was really comfy to just copy stuff from the nas and have it show up on the htpc(with all the media imported) shortly after.