LaunchBox Community Forums

anyone running LaunchBox from their external hard drive connection to a HTPC or mini-PC outputted to a TV?

cleverest

Just trying to find something not too costly to keep more or less always connected to my TV, boot it up into BIGBOX mode and only go into LaunchBox mode when needed....The HTPC just needs to run games up to a PS1 level emulation at the correct performance, although more powerful if reasonable is good too.

What are you guys doing that works well for this?

Thanks.

I would personally look at the new ryzen CPU's that have a built in GPU if you want a cheap system. Most emulators up to what you want only use the CPU for the most part, but a integrated GPU will not hurt at all and will allow you to upscale things like PS1 and also allow you headroom for shaders if you want to use them.

• Like 1

Thanks Neil, do you know of any HTPC's or mini PCs using that Graphics chipset? I can't seem to find one; or is this going to be a custom build thing only?  I can do hardware builds, but I need to make one for a friend too, so I'd rather by it pre-built and just mess with the software/launchbox config.  

Just now, cleverest said:

Thanks Neil, do you know of any HTPC's or mini PCs using that Graphics chipset? I can't seem to find one; or is this going to be a custom build thing only?  I can do hardware builds, but I need to make one for a friend too, so I'd rather by it pre-built and just mess with the software/launchbox config.  

I dont know of any pre builts no, there probably are some but they will always cost way more than building it yourself, especially if you want a "mini PC" you pay a big premium for the size reduction, too much in my opinion. You can build a mini itx system way cheaper though and it will stillbe very small as long as you get a mini itx case.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, neil9000 said:

I dont know of any pre builts no, there probably are some but they will always cost way more than building it yourself, especially if you want a "mini PC" you pay a big premium for the size reduction, too much in my opinion. You can build a mini itx system way cheaper though and it will stillbe very small as long as you get a mini itx case.

Would you recommend Newegg or is there a better site for this I may not be aware of?

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

Wow that DOES look great for the specs. I just wish something like that would include an Nvidia card, so it would support WiiU and PS3...so close...

yeah building your own isn't really that hard. it won't be as small as some of those but you can still get it to a decent size but be able to add more oomph to it.

image.png.74be4c565040c7867427a1dbc51533fd.pngI've done two build with this case and it has room for a GPU multiple drives (especially if you go with out a optical drive)

• 3 weeks later...