LaunchBox Community Forums

8 hours ago, Spiro9210 said:

Hello, is it possible to make this plugin only active for a single emulator such as Dolphin and disabled for the rest of the emulators in LB?

Should be able to do that. There are a few different approaches. Do you use the built in startup screens for the other emulators?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2018 at 12:04 PM, JaysArcade said:

When I have them both set to true, I can pause my game but I see no pause menu. If I have video fullscreen false and video windowed fullscreen set to true, then the Pause menu comes up for me but I have the file menu at the top. When they are both set to true, If I alt-tab to the active RA session, I can sometimes see the pause menu flash briefly like it is hidden behind the RA window but not getting focus. On a couple of occasions I was able to get the menu to come up after doing the alt tab trick but the pause menu was unresponsive. H'mmm, maybe I should have helped you beta test. I'm loving what I see so far though. The pause menu, when I get it to work is so much nicer (in my opinion) than Rocket Launcher's pause menu.

@JaysArcade: Could you try the new version 1.1 when you have time and let me know if you still have this issue?

1 hour ago, JaysArcade said:

Hi @eatkinola, I just tried it again with 1.1. No change I'm afraid. Let me know if there is something in particular you'd like me to try.

That's a bummer. I tried every combination of video_fullscreen, video_windowed_fullscreen, and ui_menubar_enable, but I cannot reproduce that problem on my system. If I've got it right, the problem is that when you use a combination of these options that successfully hides the menubar, the pause menu does not work. It sounds like it's not properly capturing or holding onto the RA window, and two things I can think of could cause this: (1) RA is somehow starting in exclusive fullscreen mode (you would probably see a black flicker on your monitor when starting up), or (2) the RA fullscreen toggle (e.g., "F" by default) is being triggered somehow -- I know that will break the pause menu because it will lose the RA window it captured. Any chance one of these is going on? Using a dual-monitor setup in a special way? It might help to see your log file again when this happens. Also, are you using anything else such as a AHK script from within LB?

In case it matters (it shouldn't), I use RA core overrides to configure my emulators. This is what I use for the nestopia core:

Spoiler

# FULLSCREEN VIDEO
video_fullscreen = "true"
video_fullscreen_x = "1920"
video_fullscreen_y = "1080"

# VIEWPORT W/OVERLAY
aspect_ratio_index = "23"
custom_viewport_width = "1380"
custom_viewport_height = "1010"
custom_viewport_x = "270"
custom_viewport_y = "30"
input_overlay = ":\@my\opsonins\overlays\NINTENDO_NES.cfg"
input_overlay_opacity = "1"

# SHADER: CRT W/CURVATURE
video_shader = ":\@my\opsonins\shaders\crt-geom.glslp"
video_shader_enable = "true"
video_smooth = "false"

# PATHS FOR CONFIG/SAVES/ETC.
savefile_directory = ":\@my\saves\savefiles\NES"
savestate_directory = ":\@my\saves\savestates\NES"
screenshot_directory = ":\@my\saves\screenshots\NES"
core_options_path = ":\@my\config\NESTOPIA\NESTOPIA-coropts.cfg"

# DO NOT AUTO-OVERWRITE THIS!
config_save_on_exit = "false"

• Thanks 1

Man I feel dumb. I figured I would try installing Launchbox, Wootlauncher and RetroArch on my main PC to see if I could figure out where things may have gone off track for me on my cab. I got it to work no problem. Bezels, pause, everything. The one thing that stuck out at me when setting up WL this time around was when I added a bezel to the Wootlauncher overlays folder, something felt different this time around. It dawned on me that previously on my cab I simply copied the default NES overlay from the RetroArch folder over to the Wootlauncher folder and named it RETROARCH+NINTENDO_NES. Long story short, the whole time on my cab I thought I had an issue with the Wootlauncher Bezels, it was actually the Retroarch overlays that were kicking in, maybe in addition to the WL bezel (which was the identical NES PNG in both folders.) After figuring this out, I went out to the garage where my cab lives and completely deleted my RetroArch Config and started it from scratch. Finally, Wootlauncher worked the way it is supposed to. Geez. Sorry for the trouble @eatkinola. At least we know where I went astray and can help someone in the future that might run into the same situation. Ask them if they turned off their overlay settings within RetroArch.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JaysArcade said:

Finally, Wootlauncher worked the way it is supposed to. Geez. Sorry for the trouble @eatkinola. At least we know where I went astray and can help someone in the future that might run into the same situation. Ask them if they turned off their overlay settings within RetroArch.

Hey, it's no trouble at all! Appreciate you doing a thorough job of troubleshooting and reporting back. I'm sure your efforts will help someone else down the road.

I actually just let retroarch handle it's own overlays, and WL does overlays for emus that don't support them such as dolphin and demul. Whether overlays are provided by retroarch or WL, the pause menu should still work just fine.

22 minutes ago, eatkinola said:

Hey, it's no trouble at all! Appreciate you doing a thorough job of troubleshooting and reporting back. I'm sure your efforts will help someone else down the road.

I actually just let retroarch handle it's own overlays, and WL does overlays for emus that don't support them such as dolphin and demul. Whether overlays are provided by retroarch or WL, the pause menu should still work just fine.

Yeah it was actually working somewhat, but the main issue was the RA File Menu (menubar) was visible in within the bezel with the settings I was using. I don't know why. At least its working for me now with overlays turned off in RA. Now that I got NES working, I will try doing some more. I've always struggled with retroarch so I'm not surprised I had problems with it.

Hey, is there a naming convention for the Bezels? Like if I wanted to try to set something up you haven't worked on yet, what would I name it? I assume the active window name of the emulator, but not sure when using something like RA that has cores. For NES I just copied an example name from one of the other folders, I think the folder for the controllers had an image with NES name so I used that. Might be nice to get something documented when trying new stuff. Just a thought. I think that might be why I originally switched over to let the RA control the overlay because I wasn't really sure what the bezel image should be named.

Thanks again for the help.

So I've noticed when I'm running Wootlauncher from Launchbox, I can exit a game via my mapped esc key and I can click on a new game and all is well. But when I exit a game using my mapped esc key in BigBox, BigBox does not regain focus unless I click on the screen with my mouse. None of my controls work in Bigbox until I do this. If I click exit from the pause screen in WL, Bigbox seems to regain focus. I"m not sure about anyone else, but I don't have a reason to pause before exiting. I just like to hit my exit button on my cabinet and go back to the menu. I guess I could write an AHK to click the screen on emulator exit, but that just seems like a lot of work for something like that.

Is this an intended function, a bug, or am I overlooking something?

About my previous post and naming conventions. What would I name bezels for MAME if I wanted a single generic vertical bezel and a single generic horizontal bezel? Is this possible?

Hope I'm not being a pest, lol.

20 hours ago, JaysArcade said:

Hope I'm not being a pest, lol.

Not at all. Apologies for the radio silence. I've got some hectic stuff going on at the moment, travel stuff.

About my previous post and naming conventions. What would I name bezels for MAME if I wanted a single generic vertical bezel and a single generic horizontal bezel? Is this possible?

File names such as for bezels should be explained in the PDF for WL. You can name per emulator (including for core if RA), and game. For vertical vs horizontal, I'd recommend naming the horizontal bezel MAME (if that's how you name the emulator in LB). Then, you could place your vertical bezel is the Games subfolder and name the file using the LB game ID. You'll have to have a copy of the vertical overlay for each game, unless you could somehow use mklink (not sure that would work). I actually recommend letting RA or MAME manage the bezels so you can then use with or without WL did you want, but that's just my opinion. I let RA handle all it's own bezels.

Is this an intended function, a bug, or am I overlooking something?

Might be a bug. I've not noticed in my setup, but I don't use AHK scripts outside of WL so maybe that's why. Does it only occur with certain emulators in BB?

I"m not sure about anyone else, but I don't have a reason to pause before exiting. I just like to hit my exit button on my cabinet and go back to the menu.

Yeah that's just personal preference. I can see users wanting either approach. I use the pause menu to exit, and that way the emu exit is baked into WL and I don't need any extra WL scripts. I guess I could add an option to WL to map an exit button combo that would work across all emus supported by WL. Do you think that would be useful?

15 minutes ago, eatkinola said:

Might be a bug. I've not noticed in my setup, but I don't use AHK scripts outside of WL so maybe that's why. Does it only occur with certain emulators in BB?

Yeah that's just personal preference. I can see users wanting either approach. I use the pause menu to exit, and that way the emu exit is baked into WL and I don't need any extra WL scripts. I guess I could add an option to WL to map an exit button combo that would work across all emus supported by WL. Do you think that would be useful?

Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah, that would totally be useful. Not sure if you could also make the exit screen work on exit vs pause then exit. Not a deal breaker though.

Thanks again. I'll look into letting mame run those bezels.

• 3 weeks later...

Have an update almost ready to go:

* ADDED: gamepad mappings to directly exit game w/o needing to use pause screen; @JaysArcade
* ADDED: game resume option to pause menu, inspired by @Chadmando's new pause menu app
* ADDED: custom mapped "function" buttons, e.g., activate pause menu via DS4's PS-logo button

Any suggestions let me know, and perhaps I can roll it into this update.

Edited by eatkinola
one more thing
  • Like 3

Thanks! Looking forward to trying it out when I get a chance. 

Question, Just curious, does the "custom mapped "function" buttons, e.g., activate pause menu via DS4's PS-logo button" work with the Xbox 360/ XBOne controllers with the xbox guide button as well? Maybe this was already a feature and I didn't realize it.

20 minutes ago, JaysArcade said:

Question, Just curious, does the "custom mapped "function" buttons, e.g., activate pause menu via DS4's PS-logo button" work with the Xbox 360/ XBOne controllers with the xbox guide button as well? Maybe this was already a feature and I didn't realize it.

It should as long as you specify the button id in the WL config file. I use DS4 so I could test with that only. It's a new feature that will be in the WL update I'll post this weekend. Would be great if u could test it with the Xbox controller.

55 minutes ago, JaysArcade said:

If I get to it I will try it. Gotta figure out what that button ID is first. I know if Steam is running in the background, pressing the guide button opens it. I'm sure there is a way to disable that though. I'll look into it.

Yes retroarch does the same thing, showing menu when guide button pressed; so I disabled that in retroarch and the ds4 guide button works great for WL.

Easy way to find the button ID is to use the BigBox settings controller mapping feature, and pretend to map the guide button to something (you can then quickly clear out that mapping). I'll provide some more details when I post the WL update.