LaunchBox Community Forums

Controllers (and what you dream of)

Mr. RetroLust

7 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Lol yeah, I live in the swamps of Nether Europa

You probably already saw this then. It is the only one I can find. The cord needs mending however. Would you be confident in doing so yourself or taking it to someone you know? The seller calls it rare, which everyone does on eBay in order to try and sell things but in this case I would say that controller does seem pretty rare. If the cord was not buggered I would have been all over that like a fly on a turd. It is the only controller I have seen with a 6 button layout on the face accompanied with analogue sticks, it might be the holy-grail of sexy-time-controllers despite any potential flaws it may have.

EDIT: Hold on! I found some pre-owned for $55 with international wide shipping (I went through the checkout to see and it looks like you can get shipping to where I am for about $9: here.

They say We hand-pick all of our pre-owned products in order to ensure their condition is in the best possible state and knowing Japanese kids or people in general pre-owned should mean perfect condition.

It looks like they have one black one left in stock. Which one of us is going to pull the trigger on it? It is like a wild-west stand off. Probably not, but I like to dramatize things.

Edited by Dane
  • Like 1

@Dane its hard for me to buy when not using creditcards or paypal, I use this dutch digital payment service, although it isnt supported by many countries. And honestly, I want hori to attach dual sticks on my FC5 dammit, its perfect in every way as it is, I really love the larger buttons as well. Yep, gonna write them one day, maybe I can paste it here and you guys help me out getting the grammar in order and let it sign by as many hori lovers as possible, hell I'll make a prototype photoshop of it and attach it xD

@DOS76 I don't want to offend you but I think those controllers don't look nice brother

1 hour ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

@Dane its hard for me to buy when not using creditcards or paypal, I use this dutch digital payment service, although it isnt supported by many countries. 

That website does in fact use paypal.

I know what you are saying though. I will be glad to sign your petition.

hell I'll make a prototype photoshop of it and attach it xD

1.thumb.png.567bef85939e8e02474c18af85fcf588.pngThere you go brother. You can thank me later by buying me one when they come out as a result of my awesome work there.

@DOS76 I don't want to offend you but I think those controllers don't look nice brother

Haha, If I did not know what the Mattel Hyperscan's controllers look like I would guess they were for that.

Edited by Dane
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Hori Retro Commander, couldnt get the nice rounded look much, analog sticks are from the hori onyx controller, want this

Looks fantastic. I do not see how it could be any better besides possibly making the controller slightly wider than normal so the right analogue stick is not so close to the x-button because if someone had big hands and/or fat fingers they may be too close. Though if you were careful I do not think they are too close.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dane said:

Looks fantastic. I do not see how it could be any better besides possibly making the controller slightly wider than normal so the right analogue stick is not so close to the x-button because if someone had big hands and/or fat fingers they may be too close. Though if you were careful I do not think they are too close.

Maybe a dumb or a revolutionairy concept but wouldnt it work to slightly tilt the dual sticks foreward towards the player just a bit, and/or more to the right or left, leaving more room for movement and no accidental button presses. I must write them hahaha

1 minute ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Maybe a dumb or a revolutionairy concept but wouldnt it work to slightly tilt the dual sticks foreward towards the player just a bit, and/or more to the right or left, leaving more room for movement and no accidental button presses. I must write them hahaha

I actually agree with that but the tilt would have to be only slight because if it was too dramatic it would feel awkward and the outside knuckle of the thumb would hit/rub/bump the body of the controller a bit which might be annoying as one would not be accustomed to it.

• Like 1

I'm about to start a small controller project just to see if I can do it.  My setup is using my main tv and I play from my couch (so no cabinet style arcade for me).  I like using my old madcatz fightstick for fighting games, but most 4-way joystick games are cumbersome (digdug, I'm looking at you).   So I just ordered a couple of cheap joysticks, 20 buttons, and a couple of USB zero delay encoders to play around with and prototype a dual stick + button layout that hopefully will work for my non-fighting games.  For bonus points if I can keep the size under control I might add a spinner and/or trackball, but I worry that it'll end up being too large and heavy for couch use.

Originally I wanted to make a modular style system where I could drop in say, 2 4-way joystick panels, or a stick panel and a button panel, or a spinner and a button panel, etc.  I still might try to figure that one out later, but for now I want to start a bit easier.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jookie said:

I'm about to start a small controller project just to see if I can do it.  My setup is using my main tv and I play from my couch (so no cabinet style arcade for me).  I like using my old madcatz fightstick for fighting games, but most 4-way joystick games are cumbersome (digdug, I'm looking at you).   So I just ordered a couple of cheap joysticks, 20 buttons, and a couple of USB zero delay encoders to play around with and prototype a dual stick + button layout that hopefully will work for my non-fighting games.  For bonus points if I can keep the size under control I might add a spinner and/or trackball, but I worry that it'll end up being too large and heavy for couch use.

Originally I wanted to make a modular style system where I could drop in say, 2 4-way joystick panels, or a stick panel and a button panel, or a spinner and a button panel, etc.  I still might try to figure that one out later, but for now I want to start a bit easier.

Sounds great! Hope to see photos or video of your project so we can follow it and maybe learn from it as well.

• Thanks 1

I was thinking along the same lines.  I could have each panel have it's own encoder/usb cable since I don't think I'd ever need more than 2 for almost everything I want to play.  Ideally I'd want to make some sort of drop in connector that binds the panel to a larger encoder to a single USB port, but that requires some engineering I'm not quite ready to tackle just yet.  Maybe in version 2 ;)

Just got delivery of some sticks and buttons.  All generic parts since it was on the cheap side.  The sticks appear to be Sanwa clones and use a Sanwa square restrictor plate.  I was able to change it to a 4-way stick, but I can already tell I'll have to get a different/better stick in the final build as it takes way too long to convert from 8-way to 4-way.  (Though if I ever go full modular I might as well just keep 2 8-way stick panels and 1 4-way panel)

Next up is cardboard cutout time to play around with layouts and make sure the hardware works in general.  Sadly as I'm weekend warrior-ing this, I'm not sure how fast I'll make progress.

Still fun to have a project to work on, even if it is a bit smaller scale than some.

In the mean time I bought a Xbox one wireless controller as I have never used any xbox controller before I was curious, to cut things short: I like the analog sticks better than ps4 although the top of the sticks are meh, the dpad is not my thing as it clicks and overall it doesnt really do it for me, its much smaller than I thought. The Hori Fighter Commander is still my fav controller, and finally was able to order a 8bitdo SF30 pro controller, have been wanting this one for a long time now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

In the mean time I bought a Xbox one wireless controller as I have never used any xbox controller before I was curious, to cut things short: I like the analog sticks better than ps4 although the top of the sticks are meh, the dpad is not my thing as it clicks and overall it doesnt really do it for me, its much smaller than I thought. The Hori Fighter Commander is still my fav controller, and finally was able to order a 8bitdo SF30 pro controller, have been wanting this one for a long time now.

That is a shame about the XBOX controller. I will be interested to hear what you think of the 8bitdo SF30 because even though I do not like the layout of the buttons it looks very cool. Long live Hori!

• Like 1

DSC_0037.thumb.jpg.ca345cd344a606c0f61cd6c684c14120.jpg(Warning: Opinion article/review lol) 

With this controller added to the collection it feels like I am back in the console wars again, the epic years of Sega sucks and Nintendon't, the endless show-off of smelly black belt gaming teens and pale technologically advanced android children, the war will only end when this generation passes on to the next dimension, without a doubt the war will go on over there, anyhoot...

I feel like I have a SNESS controller and a Mega Drive controller in my collection again, but better... much much better! (opinion < opinion!)

The most expensive controller (top-left Xbox One controller) does not compare to the other two, ain't that funny! But I never had an xbox variant console or controller before so the feeling of this controller has never grew on me.

The 8bitdo SF30 Pro is amazing brother @Dane, it is smaller than the rest but funny enough it is just right and wide enough for around 30 years older hands.
It's exactly like the original controller in terms of feel - or how I remember it - it was my favorite controller back in the day and I didn't like the original Mega Drive controller as much back then as the D-pad wasn't as pleasing to me and if I remember correctly I didn't like the buttons sticking up so high, also it was a bit too large for my hands in those days, but I played a lot with them either way and still love those controllers as well.

Now the Hori Fighting Commander wins this contest for me without any doubt! But this controller has dual analogness, wirelessness, rumbleness and aerial movementness (forgot what they call it)  and probably some wise assness other feature my old brain fails to pick up.
I find the analog sticks on this controller much better than any other I've checked, those are Dual Shock 3 & 4 - looser than these I haven't found anywhere yet, funny how I only noticed the looseness since comparing other controllers - and Logitech F310. It has the perfect amount of 'tightness', it's tightness is about the same as the Xbox One controller but the Xbox One controller's sticks are a bit higher giving that 'stick' feeling more 'schtick' although the SF30 wins the analog contest as it has a much nicer feeling 'grip-wise'.

I love the old classic select and start button placement, what I really don't like however is the position of the 'guide/home' button (situated below yellow button B), since I use this button as a 'press, hold, combine' button for secondary actions it would have been better if they would have placed it somewhere in the middle, between the analog sticks or on top of the logo lol. The other small extra button - below the D-pad -  is a Turbo button, it works but it does not have the amazing second level turbo function the Hori has: auto pressing and repeating the button, that's just Hori 2.0 for ya. But at least it has turbo.

The D-pad. Difficult, I like em both but Hori wins for ease of 'roundness' if you know what I mean, the SF30 Pro has a bit smaller and a more 4-way pronounced feel, which can be great to when desired a more 8 bit feeling so to speak. All in all, both these controllers combined is all I need for now untill something better comes along.

Greetings,
Lust

ps Sega rules! ?

• Like 2
  • Game On 1

Did I miss something, or did 8BitDo change the specs on their M30?!? 
I could have sworn the M30 was going to be 2.4GHz, but not bluetooth. Now it has bluetooth... 

I WANT ONE!!!

M30 + SN30 + N64 + PS3 + wired X360 (will change for XboxOne wireless sooner or later) all I'm missing is a bluetooth GameCube controller (with the correct triggers), maybe a bt Atari 2600 stick, and I'd have a perfect set...

Edited by deuxcolors
  • Like 1