LaunchBox Community Forums

Controllers (and what you dream of)

Mr. RetroLust

26 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Yeah they dont feel as strong as the ps3 controller usb connectors

It is such an annoyance. Because of the recent frustrations, I have had with not being able to play 2 player games with my girlfriend because Retroarch will not distinguish between my Hori FC4 and FC5 I have purchased but not yet received an official Xbox One Controller and Logitech F310. I am curious to see what they are like for myself anyway. I remember you saying you tried them and they were not your favourite but I will soon see. I will also pull the trigger on an official charging station for my two PS4 controllers. I have always resisted wireless, preferring the old school corded way but I guess I should jump into the world of wireless eventually. I never want my Hori wireless though, they are perfect the way they are.

Bizarre bro, have you tried different usb ports and such? If you are stuck maybe a message to the retroarch team could help you further? Yep I started out with the Logitechs, they are decent but not as good as the other controllers. The Xbox One controller is a matter of personal taste I think, I think I might give it another try before selling it. Wireless is great for comfort I guess, you dont have to worry pulling whatever its attached to off a surface lol 

5 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Bizarre bro, have you tried different usb ports and such?

Yes, I have swapped them around but unfortunately, it does not help.

If you are stuck maybe a message to the retroarch team could help you further?

Yes, I did so here but unfortunately, the suggestions did not fix the problem.

Yep I started out with the Logitechs, they are decent but not as good as the other controllers. The Xbox One controller is a matter of personal taste I think, I think I might give it another try before selling it. Wireless is great for comfort I guess, you dont have to worry pulling whatever its attached to off a surface lol 

I made sure the Logitech and XBOX controllers are corded as they will definitely be distinguishable from the Hori controllers. As for the PS4 ones, I will just go wireless with those. It will be good to see the differences between them all for myself. The Logitech and XBOX controllers were no more than $40 each so if I do not care for them all that that they can just be spares as that did not break the bank.

Is your Hori FC5 still king of the castle?

• Like 1

I'm still trying to get someone with one of the 8bitdo bluetooth controllers to tell me if they re-arrange the order of wired controllers when turned on and off, or if the dongle keeps it's slot occupied even when the controller is turned off.  I'd love to get one, but I don't want to loose every mapping of the other controllers as soon as I turn it off and back on.

48 minutes ago, damageinc86 said:

I'm still trying to get someone with one of the 8bitdo bluetooth controllers to tell me if they re-arrange the order of wired controllers when turned on and off, or if the dongle keeps it's slot occupied even when the controller is turned off.  I'd love to get one, but I don't want to loose every mapping of the other controllers as soon as I turn it off and back on.

Atm I have a wired hori fighting commander as controller 1 and a wireless 8bitodo SF30 pro as controller 2. I turned off usb energy saving in windows energy settings so the controllers wont disconnect on their own, the SF30 pro has it's own energy saving function anyhow. They haven't been re-arranged like this, although I can't say for sure when you've got two wireless controllers. Windows re-arranged controllers in the past for me after updates when I had 2 wired controllers, but I have good hope the energy saving setting does the trick now.

I'm still trying to get someone with one of th e 8bitdo bluetooth controllers to tell me if they re-arrange the order of wired controllers when turned on and off, or if the dongle keeps it's slot occupied even when the controller is turned off.

I have 6 of their mod kits, the adapter acts just like if it was plugged in, I imagine it would act the same way as all other plug in controllers (the slot is powered on 24/7). I chose to use my built in Bluetooth for them instead. I use XINPUT mode for all of them (the manual tells you how to set them up for this, you only need to do this once for every controller). Windows will the assign the player order sequentially as you turn them on. All you need to do is set up your emulators controllers settings to use XINPUT instead of dinput.

Using this method is similar to how all the consoles these days handles wireless controllers. I highly reccommend thus setup, it's pretty well hassle free. If the hori pad can use xinput mode then you're set. It should always remain player one if it's always plugged in.

Edited by Chadmando
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Atm I have a wired hori fighting commander as controller 1 and a wireless 8bitodo SF30 pro as controller 2. I turned off usb energy saving in windows energy settings so the controllers wont disconnect on their own, the SF30 pro has it's own energy saving function anyhow. They haven't been re-arranged like this, although I can't say for sure when you've got two wireless controllers. Windows re-arranged controllers in the past for me after updates when I had 2 wired controllers, but I have good hope the energy saving setting does the trick now.

hmmm interesting.  I wish Windows would just show you a list of what usb ports you have (numbered), and then let you confirm which controller is plugged in, and then lock that name to that port until you wanted to change it.  That way you could lock it to a usb dongle so windows wouldn't shuffle everything just because it got an on or off signal.

• Like 1

So, I have the following controllers now and have tested them all:

My order of liking most to least is:

1. Hori FC4
  2. Hori FC5
  3. PS4
  4. XBOX One
  5. Logitech F310

I am finally able to play 2 player games now because although RA will not let me manually config buttons the XBOX One controller is the favourite for my girlfriend and RA auto configs it nicely.

Edited by Dane
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

hmmm interesting.  I wish Windows would just show you a list of what usb ports you have (numbered), and then let you confirm which controller is plugged in, and then lock that name to that port until you wanted to change it.  That way you could lock it to a usb dongle so windows wouldn't shuffle everything just because it got an on or off signal.

You and me both brother. They can put a man on the damn moon but they cannot number USB slots on a PC? Ridiculous!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Heres the kind but formal reply, looking forward to see what they'll bring us in the future.

"Dear Steven,

Thank you for contacting HORI USA.

We very much appreciate your creative feedback and opinions on potential products. At HORI we strive to bring the best possible user experience to gamers.

We will continue to release innovative and high quality gaming peripherals and accessories, so please check our social media outlets and website for more information and new product announcements."

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

Ok I take back what I said about the Xbox One S wireless controller, since I do need to be able to swap to analog sticks lately I have finally got used to the controller, I think it is a great controller, not as nice as the hori fighter but a good second spot. I find myself hardly use the 8bitdo SFPro because of the insanely small guide button which doesnt always want to work as well, a shame but I might use that controller once I start playing super nintendo.

Oftopic I bought a Skullcandy Skullcrusher Wireless headphone set, by god! if you like bass or the simulation of gaming while you have attached subwoofers to your head so you can actually feel the audio you'll have to try this out, it has a special patent which they call haptic feedback, loving it, they are unique headphones with this technology and the price is very fair. Recommend it.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I have been very happy with my Hori FC but recently I have been playing PS1 and PS2 more as well as getting into the Wii U with the Cemu emulator and as a result I am yearning for analog sticks. There still seems to be no one controller to truly rule them all. The Hori Pad EX Turbo 2 looks like it would be a contender but it does not surface for sale regularly and when it does it fetches more than I am willing to pay. I just discovered the iBUFFALO BSGP16 and whilst it does not look like perfection, it looks very promosing and affordable:

s-l400.jpg

I am too big of a fighting game fan to use the XBOX or PS controller solely as they lack the 6 button layout on the front. Has anyone looked into or tried the iBUFFALO BSGP16?

Edited by Dane
  • Game On 1