LaunchBox Community Forums

Controllers (and what you dream of)

Mr. RetroLust

58 minutes ago, Kondorito said:

By any chance, could you have switched the two F310 controllers? Even though they are the same model/make, it could be that your original configuration was set with a specific F310 in a specific USB port, and after you plugged them the other way around, Windows read them differently? In my minipc Windows reads the joysticks in different order depending on the USB port I use for each one, so I got their cables marked to know each of the 4 USB ports go with which controller USB.

Thats the weird thing as I knew about plugging and unplugging might reorder them so I didn't and I marked the controllers with UV ink marker (ink visible in black light). I did however plug and unplug an external soundcard I use for headphones (for a lot of bass lol) around the time it happened so it might be that this was the cause, making me scared to plug anything in the USB ports now. However it could also be the USB energy saving option people have mentioned before, disconnecting one or more controllers and thus reordering them. I switched off the USB energy saving option now so I hope by also sticking to the order that Windows has been serving these past few days will do the trick.

• The Cake is a Lie 1

• 2 weeks later...

Owning both FC4 and FC5 I think the FC5 is the better controller.

That isn't to say the the FC4 is bad at all, it is awesome but I find the FC5 to be slightly better.

I think the reason for the price difference is that the FC4 is no longer in production so there is a limited supply now while the FC5 is being produced and there is plenty of them.

https://gameidealist.com/gift-guides/features-comparison-hori-fighting-commander-4-vs-hori-fighting-commander-5/

• Like 1
  • Game On 1

4 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Owning both FC4 and FC5 I think the FC5 is the better controller.

That isn't to say the the FC4 is bad at all, it is awesome but I find the FC5 to be slightly better.

I think the reason for the price difference is that the FC4 is no longer in production so there is a limited supply now while the FC5 is being produced and there is plenty of them.

https://gameidealist.com/gift-guides/features-comparison-hori-fighting-commander-4-vs-hori-fighting-commander-5/

It's my favorite controller now as well :) I also bought an xbox one wireless controller for analog to replace the logitech f310, while I like the analog sticks quite a lot and it does feel like something of quality in your hands I really have the feeling I'm not completely satisfied with it, it's a bit of a 'Meh' feeling or I just have to get used to it slowly after decades of dualshock-ism lol, it's also smaller in my hands than I initially expected and certainly compared to the FC5's grip, maybe I should look for the remake of the (infamous) xbox duke, although never having owned an xbox console I haven't got a clue if it's for me though. The finishing on the top of the dpad and sticks look uncomfortable https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Duke-Wired-Controller-Windows-Black/dp/B079ZPCCLM

These two spark my interests as well, because I have grown to like Hori a lot now, you guys have any experiences with these and the duke?

https://www.bol.com/nl/p/hori-onyx-playstation-4-gaming-controller-draadloos-official-licensed/9200000087105393/?bltgh=r2NTZmnZoCRYJcFOPx9IIg.1.9.ProductTitle

https://www.bol.com/nl/p/hori-horipad-pro-wired-controller-for-xbox-one-pc/9200000056263859/?bltgh=r2NTZmnZoCRYJcFOPx9IIg.1.13.ProductTitle

• Game On 1

@Mr. RetroLust I have not used any of the controllers you mentioned above. The Hyperkin Duke just looks really awkward to me. Just looking at it the button layout looks icky, though for all I know it could be awesome. As for the Hori ones I like the look of the Hori Onyx out of the two you mentioned. I have the official PS4 controllers so if you want that design because of the analogue, they are great to me. I image the Hori Onyx would be a magnificent substitute going by looks alone.

The only controller I know of with a six button layout on the face for fighting games with the analogue option is the Hori Pad EX Turbo 2:

pa.165177.1.jpg?o3178q

Very Tempting! Even though it looks a little cumbersome.

• Like 1

(I didn't read through all the posts)

If you can be patient Retro Bit is releasing Genesis/MegaDrive & Saturn controllers (bluetooth and USB), and there is a rumored bluetooth one coming with analog sticks.
Also, 8bitdo is making a Genesis one for Analogue's new Genesis clone, so I guess it is only a matter of time before they release the Genesis equivalent of the SN30 Pro.

It's only speculation on my part, but very probable.

• Like 1

I’d be interested in seeing what the one with analogue sticks looks like. Someone posted a pic at segaage of the 8Bitdo M30 and it looks very stylish and comfortable. Though for a controller to ‘do it all’ I’d want the 4 shoulder buttons and home button, but then it wouldn’t be a Mega Drive controller anymore. I find the Hori Fighting Commaner perfect for retro games. I think the 8Bitdo M30 looks perfect but one might venture down the path of then getting too many controllers and potentially complicating their setup. At least that’s what I have to keep stopping myself from doing. There’s probably not a completely perfect controller ideal for absolutely everything but with compromising the analogue feature the FC? Does the trick nicely. I feel the M30 might only be good for the Mega Drive enthusiast and whilst it’s my favourite system of all time the controller falls short for me PC-wise.

Edited by Dane
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, deuxcolors said:

(I didn't read through all the posts)

If you can be patient Retro Bit is releasing Genesis/MegaDrive & Saturn controllers (bluetooth and USB), and there is a rumored bluetooth one coming with analog sticks.
Also, 8bitdo is making a Genesis one for Analogue's new Genesis clone, so I guess it is only a matter of time before they release the Genesis equivalent of the SN30 Pro.

It's only speculation on my part, but very probable.

Ah thats good news, thanks I'll check out the news on that! 

@Dane That horipad looks magnificent indeed but I cant find it here in the lands of nether, its an older model already right?

3 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

@Dane That horipad looks magnificent indeed but I cant find it here in the lands of nether, its an older model already right?

I am guessing it might be as I had never heard of it before and although I didn’t try searching too hard couldn’t really find one for sale.

i wish people would stop posting in this thread. The Ryu Dual Link Controller by retro-bit is gorgeous. I want to buy everything!

• Haha 1

I have Retro-Bit/8bitdo N64 bluetooth controller and it works great (for N64 of course), and I am looking at 8bitdo's GBros adapter so that I can use an official GameCube controller and NES/SNES mini controllers.
A similar controller to the six button Genesis layout is the most annoying controller to find...

Also as a warning, you don't want the current M30 since it isn't bluetooth. You'd need an adapter.
As I said, if you can be patient I will bet that the M30 Pro with bluetooth will appear sooner than later.

• Like 1

Lol yeah, I live in the swamps of Nether Europa, where we live beneath the water between dikes and crazy swamp people. I like to buy every controller as well, but Hori did not dissapoint one bit, I think we should write hori and demand the FC5 with analogue sticks and color swappable buttons and a trackball, they owe it to us big time! Neeeeed it!

23 minutes ago, deuxcolors said:

I forgot to add I have the Hori RAP 5 for Switch. It has a toggle for PC so use that with arcade games.

I don't know if I would call Holland a swamp, but then I don't live there... I'm in Paris, not a swamp but not the easiest place to find some goodies.

North-Holland is a swap basically when we wouldnt have build anything here, so I call it a swamp lol ;)

56 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Do you like the Hori Rap 5? I never had one of those arcade sticks but am really curious how they feel, gaming with these on your lap.

I got it for fighting games on the switch, and I like it.
It is heavy enough that it feels solid on your lap, and the buttons feel good. I'm not a pro or anything, but I'm happy with it.
And the fact that I can use with the PC is a nice bonus.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, deuxcolors said:

I got it for fighting games on the switch, and I like it.
It is heavy enough that it feels solid on your lap, and the buttons feel good. I'm not a pro or anything, but I'm happy with it.
And the fact that I can use with the PC is a nice bonus.

How does the stick feel? Can you move it as fast and easy as with a normal analog controller? As this worries me a bit when needing to act fast. Is the shape of the space around the stick octagon or round?