LaunchBox Community Forums

Emulation Ninja Frontend page

greatgearprices

• 1 month later...

I'm the developer and I can tell you the project is not dead. We have been quietly developing it and we're up to version 1.4 just released  yesterday.

As far as comparisons with launchbox: I developed Emulation Ninja to fix my frustrations with current front-ends. 

Here are some of my problems with today's front-ends and how Emulation Ninja addresses them:

I hate downloading assets!

- No more downloading of assets, linking up assets etc: Emulation Ninja uses the amazon cloud to host over 40 TB of music, video and images...it will be nearly 80TB by the end of the year. 

Who wants to download all that??? The cloud will stream it super fast to every user.

There are so many games, I want a Netflix style experience

There are thousands of games I don't know about, why not recommend them to me as I play. I want to navigate my games like a website where I can search, filter just like in a modern browser.

I don't want a clunky interface controlled by game pads when I don't know exactly what I want to play.

Emulation Ninja also has the largest private database of Metadata for retro games. We use artificial intelligence to parse the metadata in order to make better game recommendations. Recommendations will improve every month as the A.I. learns.

Why should I re-create my library every time I use a new PC?

I've had this issue lots of times, I hate having to re-create everything. Since Emulation Ninja saves my library to the cloud, when I install it on a new PC my library goes with me.

It will even sync files from my old computer to the new one without me having to set anything up.

I want a web-based interface for managing my library, but I want a simpler gallery interface for playing them.

Emulation Ninja is HTML5 based so you can manage your library with a browser while the app simplifies that interface so you can focus on playing games rather than managing them.

I like video game music and want to listen to the soundtracks as I browse for new games

Emulation Ninja has a Spotify-like interface where I can listen to other people's playlists, radio stations for each console and create my own playlists. It also works beautifully on my mobile since everything is HTML5 based.

Music is uninterrupted as I browse the site.

I want simple setup, let me add the folders where my games are and you do everything else:

Other front-ends were too complicated to setup with too many features I never asked for and didn't want. Emulation Ninja's goal is to make everything simpler, plug-and-play so-to-speak.

Was Emulation Ninja created to replace launchbox?

No. I will never have an arcade cabinet. I will always play games on my PC connected to an HDTV. For that , I want an interface that works like a browser .. I don't want to control it with my gamepad...I want to search for things by typing and using a mouse. So I think the market for Emulation Ninja is very different than the one Launchbox currently sells to.

If anyone is interested they can browse and checkout the interface here:

https://emulation.ninja/games

Edited by Emulation Ninja
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 10:17 AM, Emulation Ninja said:

I'm the developer and I can tell you the project is not dead. We have been quietly developing it and we're up to version 1.4 just released  yesterday.

Hi- I checked your program out and it is interesting, but it caused several issues with my pc after I ran it. Things like launching new programs taking 30+ seconds. Even after closing Emulation Ninja from the taskbar and the system tray, I still had 4 instances of ninja.exe running on my PC. I found that concerning. I was able to repeat the issues on a second launch. It required me to reboot my computer to get back to normal operation. I posted about it in your support forum.

• 7 months later...

Looks interesting but if I wanted to play my games on another computer, why wouldn't I just copy them there from my external backup drive? Leave them copying overnight or during work hours and you're done! This is more like Plex but the appeal of a front end is the way it looks. At the moment I'm scratching my head. It's a neat idea but do I need it? 

1 hour ago, Styphelus said:

Looks interesting but if I wanted to play my games on another computer, why wouldn't I just copy them there from my external backup drive? Leave them copying overnight or during work hours and you're done!

I used to do that. I got sick of copying files to new computers. I just wanted to log on to a new computer and start playing within seconds with all my saves, games, configs already there.  I want to be able to play a game at home, save and resume at work and vice versa without copying anything! That's what this is all about.

This is more like Plex but the appeal of a front end is the way it looks.

You're right, it's exactly like Plex. In fact that's what I modeled it after. But remember that Plex only has 1 theme and millions of users. It seems to me anyway that the majority of users care about Plex's features rather than it's theme. That being said, I like to mess with styles and looks as well so the theming system for Emulation Ninja is pretty comprehensive and newer. It's HTML5 so the sky is the limit as to what it can look like :)

At the moment I'm scratching my head. It's a neat idea but do I need it? 

Appreciate the feedback. There are ton of features not covered. There are so many possibilities that I'm excited about because it's all about online / cloud / community rather than play by myself. Imagine logging in October and all of a sudden there's a Halloween theme applied to my games, I'll also get recommendations for horror games and get to preview them with videos, playlists, music tracks etc. Because it's powered by A.I. all this will be possible (the Halloween stuff is actually going to be live in October). The possibilities with this kind of technology are endless...and no one is doing it except us ! ;)

Edited by Emulation Ninja

I had a play around with it and it works okay from my local machine but when I tried to set it up on my server it doesn't work with my StableBit Drivepool virtual drive. I still haven't gotten around to opening a port on my router and testing it from a second PC through the web browser. The appeal to me for a Plex like service definitely exist especially if I could set it up and then say share it with my brother who would enjoy playing some old games but wouldn't have the patience or know how to do it himself. Like I said locally it works well for the few games I tried these are pointing to a network drive (from the same server that won't add any games). So as a application in its infancy its a good start.

6 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

I had a play around with it and it works okay from my local machine but when I tried to set it up on my server it doesn't work with my StableBit Drivepool virtual drive. I still haven't gotten around to opening a port on my router and testing it from a second PC through the web browser. The appeal to me for a Plex like service definitely exist especially if I could set it up and then say share it with my brother who would enjoy playing some old games but wouldn't have the patience or know how and doing it himself. Like I said locally it works well for the few games I tried these are pointing to a network drive (from the same server that won't add any games). So as a application in its infancy its a good start.

Thanks for trying it and thanks for the feedback. Let me know if I can help with your virtual drive on our forums. Also if you like, send me your username and I'll upgrade your account with a free 1 Year License (costs 40 USD on our site).

I've checked the site out and created an account and I already have 3 problems.

1 - I can't even download the program itself. When I click download, it just takes me to My Account page and even when i click Update Account, it doesn't download anything, just updates my details.

2 - No log out option. Clicking on the arrow next to my avatar just loads my account page. Oh and speaking of my avatar,

3 - I can't even upload a picture for my avatar. When I click on Upload Avatar, nothing happens, as in nothing pops up whatsoever.

Very bad 1st impression. Thanks but no thanks. I'll stick to LaunchBox and BigBox.

Edited by Shinryu

4 hours ago, Shinryu said:

I've checked the site out and created an account and I already have 3 problems.

1 - I can't even download the program itself. When I click download, it just takes me to My Account page and even when i click Update Account, it doesn't download anything, just updates my details.

Here's the direct link to download page. I've also added a clearer download button to the site :)

https://emulation.ninja/downloads

4 hours ago, Shinryu said:

2 - No log out option. Clicking on the arrow next to my avatar just loads my account page. Oh and speaking of my avatar,

3 - I can't even upload a picture for my avatar. When I click on Upload Avatar, nothing happens, as in nothing pops up whatsoever.

Very bad 1st impression. Thanks but no thanks. I'll stick to LaunchBox and BigBox.

I think it's a browser issue for you. Try Google Chrome, Brave, or Microsoft Edge.  Try the desktop app, if you still can't figure it out post on our forums or come on our Discord channel:  https://discordapp.com/invite/4znDZMG