LaunchBox Community Forums

Xbox One (UWP Port)

joelfabiani

9 minutes ago, joelfabiani said:

Hi guys, 

With yesterday news from retroarch launching an xbox port (dev mode) on early 2019 I've been wondering, is it feasible to LaunchBox to do the same?

Swiching between retail/dev mode to play new and retro games with the outstanding interface of LB would be amazing. 

Thank you,

Nice idea, but i 100% guarantee you that Microsoft will not allow programs that allow emulation, it was briefly tried before with another program, and someone also uploaded a n64 emu, it didnt last long. Also emulators designed for windows will not automatically work on that crossover.

Its a lovely idea in theory, and one i'm all for, but i dont see it ever happening.   

I guess it would need an effort to Port it to uwp. Retroarch for instance only confirmed after reach a certain goal on patreon crowdfunding. But since we're talking on dev mode and sideload apps does Microsoft needs to approve? I mean, I can even insert an Hello World there after pay the ~12usd fee to enable dev mode on my console.

I'm case LB dev team decide to follow the same road I would be willing to contribute.

Edit:

Just to include another related app. Besides retroarch on early 2019 we have already for some time now the retrix project that also works on dev mode and emulates ~15 systems. But nothing feature rich and pretty like LB.

Edited by joelfabiani
Reference to retrix

13 minutes ago, joelfabiani said:

I guess it would need an effort to Port it to uwp. Retroarch for instance only confirmed after reach a certain goal on patreon crowdfunding. But since we're talking on dev mode and sideload apps does Microsoft needs to approve? I mean, I can even insert an Hello World there after pay the ~12usd fee to enable dev mode on my console.

I'm case LB dev team decide to follow the same road I would be willing to contribute.

Edit:

Just to include another related app. Besides retroarch on early 2019 we have already for some time now the retrix project that also works on dev mode and emulates ~15 systems. But nothing feature rich and pretty like LB.

To be honest with you im not that code savvy, but lets pretend this would work. So $19 for the dev mode,then $20-$50 for Launchbox, then you have to hope that the emus actually work OK, (pretty sure its not as simple as just compiling them for uwp in those cases) then pray that microsoft doesnt say, oh hang on a minute......

It is a bit tempting to play with, considering that a lot of the techs are already supported on Xbox. That said, it would be a significant effort to port LaunchBox or Big Box to UWP, and I'd have to put more research towards what all that entails. Generally, though, the main trouble with porting LaunchBox to other platforms is just that the number of people who would be interested usually doesn't make it worth the effort, and most people would rather see new features than new platforms. When it came to Linux, for example, the vast majority of people would prefer me to work on new features instead of porting it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, i see your point and agree. it's a shoot in the dark. But, looking back, the amount I spent with raspberrys, PSU, SD card, retroflag case, controllers... Man, I'll give it a try any day. And for one I have already both LB (year, gonnar upgrade to lifetime) and Dev license acquired. So the only new spend would be for crowdfunding.

Thank you for your input Neil.

• Like 2

@Jason Carr, I'm happy already just knowing you're tempted. Just wanted to add that at the same time I would love to see LB on Linux an UWP port would be even more welcome. Since it's a single flavor (different from so many great and diverse linux distributions) and a platform already dedicated to gaming with its own controllers (less cusomizations to tweak) and a powerfull hardware.  Maybe you could assess the effort required and consider a value on an crowfunding site like patreon. It will be the answer and contribution from the community if it does worth or not. I'll be on the queue and already with my fingercrossed.

Thank you Jason! 

On 12/29/2018 at 5:32 PM, Jason Carr said:

It is a bit tempting to play with, considering that a lot of the techs are already supported on Xbox. That said, it would be a significant effort to port LaunchBox or Big Box to UWP, and I'd have to put more research towards what all that entails. Generally, though, the main trouble with porting LaunchBox to other platforms is just that the number of people who would be interested usually doesn't make it worth the effort, and most people would rather see new features than new platforms. When it came to Linux, for example, the vast majority of people would prefer me to work on new features instead of porting it.

If I can throw my hat in on this topic, I think an Xbox port would be cool.  But I would purchase a second lifetime license if there was guaranteed Linux support.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, johndoe86x said:

If I can throw my hat in on this topic, I think an Xbox port would be cool.  But I would purchase a second lifetime license if there was guaranteed Linux support.

I follow you! For a long time I had dual boot just because of LB. Would be an amazing addition to *nix world.

• Like 1