LaunchBox Community Forums

How to Enable FANART Images for Playlists in the BigBox DEFAULT Theme?

malarrya

Hello friends!

Main D&D video now plays in both BigBox default themes but the background art for playlists has gone missing. This used to work fine... I have plenty of screenshots proving so. SEE POST #2. The video issue must have been fixed in a recent update but now playlist art is broken?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know how to configure the BigBox settings so a video plays for the platform/platform category while artwork is displayed for the playlists? I can get it to do one or the other but not both with the 2 themes that come with BigBox.

If a video plays in the platform category, no background artwork is displayed when viewing playlists (DEFAULT THEME). Conversely, if background artwork is displayed for playlists, no video is played in the platform category (CriticalZone V2 - DEFAULT). Is there a THEME or a way to get the Video to play for the Platform Category AND background artwork shown for the playlists? Is this not possible or perhaps a glitch? I've tried every setting I can find withing the options menu.

I only need this type of setup for this one platform.

Thanks for any help you can provide :)

Edited by malarrya

• malarrya changed the title to Playlists No Longer Show Background Fan Artwork in DEFAULT Themes (BUG?)

I see what's going on now. Under VIEWS - PLATFORM LIST VIEW, BigBox does the following:

THEME: CritialZone V2 Default
1. Platform Wheel 1 - NO Platform Video plays but Background Artwork shows for Playlists.
2. Platform Wheel 2 - Platform Video plays in a square box but NO Background Artwork shows for Playlists (just a green glow).
3. Platform Wheel 3 - Bigger square Platform Video plays but NO Background Artwork shows for Playlists (it's all black and empty).
4. Platform Wheel 4 - Square Platform Video plays but NO Background Artwork shows for Playlists (just a green glow).
5. Text List With Details - NO Platform Video plays but Full screen Background Artwork shows for Playlists.

THEME: Default
1. Platform Wheel 1 - Platform Video plays in FULLSCREEN but NO Background Artwork shows for Playlists.
2. Platform Wheel 2 - Platform Video plays in FULLSCREEN but NO Background Artwork shows for Playlists (same look as #1).
3. Platform Wheel 3 - Platform Video plays in FULLSCREEN but NO Background Artwork shows for Playlists (same look as #1).
4. Platform Wheel 4 - Platform Video plays in FULLSCREEN but NO Background Artwork shows for Playlists (same look as #1).
5. Text List With Details - Platform Video starts but then is instantly replaced with Clear Logo. This happens for all Platform Categories. Full screen Background Artwork shows for Playlists.

Is it possible to have the Platform Category Video play as well as have Playlists show background artwork with either of these themes?

Edited by malarrya

• malarrya changed the title to How to Enable FANART Images for Playlists in the BigBox DEFAULT Theme?

Forgot I posted this  over 2 years ago but, alas, there was no response :(  I suppose it's not possible for playlists to show FANART images when no video is present within the DEFAULT theme? I guess I am looking for a hybrid of the DEAFULT and CiriticalZone V2 Default themes (unless it's possible to simply edit the Default theme scripts to do this). :) 

I'd like these playlists in the Default theme...
image.thumb.png.3bde152087cd33c83adcd9dab0ff4f71.png

to show Fanart background images like this from the CriticalZone V2 theme...
image.thumb.png.7624bd460df02ec26077140c8b6a231e.png

• 1 month later...

Did you ever figure this out? I have recently started a fresh build and just want some simple and clean themes. I noticed this as well. For example to test I created a Mario collection and put a Mario image in 

- Images\Playlists\Mario Collection\Fanart

When viewing in BigBox only the default fanart image from each platform will be displayed rather then the one I designated for the Mario playlist. So scrolling through a mario collection... selecting mario bros from NES will display the default NES background, Super mario from SNES will display the default SNES background and so on. 

Is there anyway to display the fanart background of playlists maybe by some xml modification?

We modified some of the logic to how Big Box grabs background images for Playlists in the current beta. You could try to update to that to see if it corrects the issue for you. If it doesn't please create a support ticket for this. This is the first time I've heard this exact report and would like to make sure it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had a chance to test the Beta version (11.13) to see if the DEFAULT theme shows background art like Critical Zone V2. After several attempts changing different settings, playlists still appear with no background image. I will make a ticket and try to explain the issue as best I can. :) 

image.thumb.png.05ce2cdd14bca7be62e4ddd5312cf90b.png

On 7/2/2021 at 5:17 AM, C-Beats said:

We modified some of the logic to how Big Box grabs background images for Playlists in the current beta. You could try to update to that to see if it corrects the issue for you. If it doesn't please create a support ticket for this. This is the first time I've heard this exact report and would like to make sure it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Issue #6190 created. Let me know if you need any further information. Thanks!

I responded to that ticket, but will post here as well. The Default theme can show game fanart on the playlist wheel level. In BigBox image settings tick the option to allow "Use Random Game Image for Filters". Below is a pic of the Default theme showing game images when on the playlist wheel level.

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 7.46.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 7.48.34 AM.png

Thanks for looking into this. I've looked in the setting and see that this box has been checked this whole time yet it still shows no artwork in the playlists.
I tried putting artwork in other folders where Default theme may be looking but still nothing appears.

However, I started changing the theme menu styles and did find some success.
Using PLATFORM LIST VIEW: TEXT WITH DETAILS for the Playlists, the artwork WORKS!!!
image.thumb.png.d481d8595f9c56dcded217b46ddf0508.png

image.thumb.png.ec045205ce89e22e6f61f499295950ec.png

If I select a PLATFORM WHEEL # such as 3, the playlist background art doesn't come through.
image.thumb.png.b4403275d7ee3409926b0b77235418f5.png

image.thumb.png.5946496e4cbb127e8cdc316af2d06a3c.png

So, apparently, the artwork isn’t working (for me anyways) when there are images (clear logos) used for the playlist wheel.

Maybe I need to completely wipe out the program and reinstall?

Thanks for your help into this matter. :) 

Edited by malarrya

On 7/17/2021 at 5:01 AM, Retro808 said:

I responded to that ticket, but will post here as well. The Default theme can show game fanart on the playlist wheel level. In BigBox image settings tick the option to allow "Use Random Game Image for Filters". Below is a pic of the Default theme showing game images when on the playlist wheel level.

I have figured out what's happening:

Setting the Platform List View IN VIEWS to PLATFORM WHEEL 1, 2, 3, OR 4 will not show any artwork from the PLAYLIST ARTWORK FOLDERS.
THIS IS BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS ONLY LOOKING FOR VIDEOS IN THE PLAYLIST VIDEO FOLDER  AND NOT DEFAULTING TO PLAYLIST ARTWORK WHEN NO VIDEO IS AVAILABLE.

This may be a bug since setting the Playlist Menus to TEXT shows Playlist Artwork when no video is available but using CLEAR LOGOS for the playlist menu shows no playlist artwork.

I tested this theory by renaming a video to Forgotten Realms, placing it in the Videos/Playlists folder, and, sure enough, it shows the video when selecting the Forgotten Realms playlist.

Please let me know if you need more information.
Thanks for your help!

Edited by malarrya

1 minute ago, C-Beats said:

I'm not able to reproduce the problems you are having. Anyway you could throw your data folder into a zip file and PM it to me so I can verify your settings when I try to test?

Sure! I'll send it to you shortly.
One more thing I just tested... Placing an image in the VIDEOS/PLAYLISTS folder and renaming it to the same name as the playlist works. However, only 1 image can have the same name, unless the images have different file extensions. 

I responded in your bitbucket ticket with some pics as well showing that the Default does in fact show fanart images when in the paltform wheel views you mentioned, but good to see @C-Beats posted here.

I tested on 4 machines and like C-Beats could not replicate the issue you are having. I made sure to use the same settings you mentioned.

27 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I responded in your bitbucket ticket with some pics as well showing that the Default does in fact show fanart images when in the paltform wheel views you mentioned, but good to see @C-Beats posted here.

I tested on 4 machines and like C-Beats could not replicate the issue you are having. I made sure to use the same settings you mentioned.

Thanks, @Retro808 I really appreciate the help. I responded in the bitbucket ticket as well. I think the problem may reside with my D&D Platform. Perhaps I am not placing or naming images appropriately. I used your settings and still don't get the desired results. I do have a workaround by using other themes, using text playlist menus, or placing images in the video folder.

3 hours ago, Retro808 said:

@malarrya I know CBeats is going to try and test your data, but if you want to PM your data folder to me I am doing some tinkering in a new cabinet build and I can test your data as well.

Thanks for the assist. Seems like @malarrya is encountering a bug. Was able to replicate with their data files and will get it corrected as soon as possible.