LaunchBox Community Forums

Games Database Hard Drive Failure

Jason Carr

Hello all, as many of you probably noticed, our data SSD drive in the games database web server slowly started dying yesterday, which was wreaking havoc on the games database website and downloads in LaunchBox. It took us a bit to figure out what was happening, but we've since had the drive replaced and everything is back up and running, sans for some images that are still being restored.

There are approximately 800,000 images to restore from backups. Until they are fully restored, you will likely see missing images on the games database website, and many image downloads in LaunchBox will return 404 Not Found errors. It may take a bit to finish restoring all of the images, but I will update everyone here when all is completed.

My apologies for the trouble and thanks for bearing with us. :)

• Thanks 8

Just now, flapjackfiasco said:

Google really does index things quickly! Just encountered the 404's, and after a quick search, landed here. Thanks for keeping us informed! I've been using LaunchBox/BigBox for a couple weeks now, and just had my HD die on me yesterday. Wish I had made a backup. ☹️

Ugh, sad day. Sorry to hear.

1 minute ago, grantoswisey said:

In the process of doing a new launchbox on new pc thought id did something wrong thanks for the heads up. So once its back up and all running i guess its just a case of filling in the missing images

Yes, Tools > Download Metadata and Media should bring you up to speed. :)

Quick update for everyone; believe it or not images are still restoring, but it does look like the vast majority of images are there. I'm sure by the morning everything will be restored.

1 hour ago, harryoke said:

SSD's are amazing for speed of access but with constant read/write comes drive fail . I only use mine for OS.

SSD technology has improved many times over, and I currently believe it to be the best option available for our needs, for many reasons.

18 minutes ago, Thanatos_Prime said:

As an IT professional that is too often on the other side of this I want to thank you for your hard work getting thing back up and running. My experience tells me that too often gets left unsaid. Thanks for the stress you bear and the work you do.

Appreciated. :)

• Like 2
  • Game On 1