LaunchBox Community Forums

Sega Saturn Rom Versions

Owls21

Hey everyone. Random question, but I was looking at a certain set of Saturn roms. I know they identify different versions, but does anyone happen to know what 4S, 5S, RE, etc. actually stand for? This obviously doesn't impact playing them, but i just feel like I "need" to know.

Thanks

Edited by Owls21

10 hours ago, FlightRisk said:

What other letters are you seeing? They are listed by country like all other roms (though these are technically ISOs) 4S and 5S are iPhones. They have emulators too. Not sure what RE is. Was there more than one game listed as RE?

Definitely not iPhones lol. Just to make sure I'm not breaking any forum rules, it is the "Not Light Aqua" set which is all bin/cue.

For instance there is Fighting Vipers (USA) (4S) and Fighting Vipers (USA) (5S). I'm not home right now so I'm not sure which games had RE, but there were multiple instances of each throughout the USA set. 

6 minutes ago, FlightRisk said:

I searched everywhere and I can't find an explanation. Maybe someone who has ripped these would know. And if a version is 4 or 5, what is the "S"?.

So I remoted into my PC. There are so many different ones now that I am looking.

Fighting Vipers has (5S) and (6S) versions
Fighters Megamix has (RE)
Last Gladiators has (4S) and (5S)
Minnesota Fats has (R)
NBA Jam TE has (3S)
NHL All-Star Hockey (1S) and (2S)
NFL '97 has (Rev A)
NiGHTS into Dreams (RE)
Panzer Dragoon (1S) and (5S)
Street Fighter The Movie (8S)

There are a few other. There MUST be an explanation somewhere. In the end, it doesn't REALLY matter, but i just NEED to know lol. 

Found this explanation on a forum

"Most of those numbers are disc pressing codes. Many games were popular enough that they had to make a lot of manufacturing runs, but those runs may have had some slight differences. Redump indicates these by the ring code.

The actual game data is same for all of those, the difference is mostly in small things, like one audio file being different, or offset by a few bits or something like that. So just pick one and play."

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Belgarath said:

Found this explanation on a forum

"Most of those numbers are disc pressing codes. Many games were popular enough that they had to make a lot of manufacturing runs, but those runs may have had some slight differences. Redump indicates these by the ring code.

The actual game data is same for all of those, the difference is mostly in small things, like one audio file being different, or offset by a few bits or something like that. So just pick one and play."

Awesome find! Can you share the link?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I recall running across an explanation on a reddit post sometime back that I was able to find again so I take no credit in the explanation.

Original Question

Hellooooo, I was just curious if anyone could explain to me, how to choose which (1M), (2M), (10M), (1M, 3M) or (1S), (2S) and also the (P4H), (P5H) etc... etc... to keep in my own collection to play. I know the (1M) naming scheme has to do with the offset for the disc, but i don't know what the (1S) signifies. I don't know which version I should prioritize for myself. So if anyone can help explain and maybe simplify which of the different versions is best to keep for myself to play, I would appreciate it.

Original Reply

They refer to a code physically printed on the disc itself. Sometimes there isn't even any difference in the data contained on the disc (in which case you'll see multiple codes in the file name), other times it will point to an unknown revision. The number itself doesn't seem to correlate with the date of revision, either; it's possible for 3S to be earlier than 1S. If the differences are known, you can sometimes find them on sites like TCRF, but often it's not known precisely what was affected without disassembling the data.