LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox 9.4 Change Log

Lordmonkus

Version 9.4 - Released February 12, 2019

- New Premium Feature: Big Box themes have been overhauled with new support for platform-specific games views, performance improvements, and bug fixes. The documentation PDF file in the LaunchBox\Themes folder has been updated as well.

- Improvement: LaunchBox will no longer download images for inapplicable regions during batch imports and media download processes. This will help to save disk space and speed up the download processes. Please be sure your region priority preferences are correct in LaunchBox under Tools > Options > General > Region Priorities, as this will define what types of images are downloaded for games that have no region specified.

- Improvement: Debug logging has been improved for media downloads and cleaning up media, now reporting the downloaded and deleted files.

- Improvement: Debug logging has been improved for exceptions; the full stack trace is now included, and exceptions displayed in the popup window are now logged as well.

- Improvement: Debug logging can now be turned on or off under Tools > Options > Debugging in LaunchBox. Debug logs were previously available, but had to be manually turned on via the Settings.xml file.

- Improvement: New option to "Hide Auto-Generated Playlists from Playlist View" under the Big Box View settings. This new setting is on by default and will hide all the auto-generated nested playlists from the playlists view.

- Improvement: New options to "Hide Mouse Cursor on Startup Screens" are available in the Game Startup settings of both LaunchBox and Big Box. These routines were causing issues on some rare systems, so they can now be disabled.

- Improvement: A shortcut key combination is now available for "Select Random Game" in LaunchBox: Ctrl+Alt+Q

- Improvement: New key and controller button mappings are available in Big Box for Lock/Unlock. This will allow you to lock or unlock Big Box without having to go all the way out to the System menu.

- Improvement: Games can now be marked as completed or incomplete in Big Box via the game details menu. This new game details menu item can also be hidden in the Game Menu options.

- Improvement: Big Box now has options to allow doing a bunch more things while locked: setting star ratings, opening game folders, opening game image folders, opening emulators, favoriting games, hiding games, marking games as broken, and marking games as completed. All options are available in the Security section of the Big Box options.

- Improvement: The built-in version of VLC has been upgraded to version 3.0.6, which should resolve various issues with the previous versions of VLC; performance has also improved significantly.

- Improvement: All the functionality of NJDave71's HelperControl for Big Box themes has been integrated into Big Box. Many thanks to David for his code. For theme developers, details are here: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/48735-njdave71s-helpercontrol-functionality-integrated/

- Improvement: Data saving performance in Big Box has been drastically improved, especially for users with lots of playlists

- Improvement: The Big Box TextFiltersView now has proper support for videos with the ImageVideoView for custom themes

- Fixed: In the LaunchBox list view, pressing a letter key to jump to a game in the list did not put keyboard focus on the newly selected item, so using the arrow keys afterwards would jump back to the previous location

- Fixed: The Minimize on Game Startup and Restore on Game Exit LaunchBox options were messing with the startup screens, so they are now automatically disabled if the startup screens are used

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Game On 1

Lots of improvements. Thank you. May I ask for one thing for the next release? Is it possible to allow the cache folder to be stored somewhere else? I am having trouble with it, as I am using onedrive to keep my system up and running without needing to crack open the cabinet and, if I change the view, it repopulates everything. My internet speed is low (100Kb/s), and this make the internet unusable. 3gb is a lot to upload. Thanks.

7 hours ago, UKPenguins said:

@peterrrjr your best bet would be to use SysLinks as described here https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/39773-how-to-move-launchbox-cache-to-ssd-tutorial/

Not sure if it will help, but its an option.

GREAT WORK LB TEAM, KEEP UP THE AWESOMNESS

I tried. Onedrive still copies the files from the symlink. What I might need to do is to create a second copy of my system, and them use a third part app to sync the files, except the cache folder.  Well, I honestly think it would be much faster and easier if I coult tell the software where should I leave the files.

23 hours ago, peterrrjr said:

Lots of improvements. Thank you. May I ask for one thing for the next release? Is it possible to allow the cache folder to be stored somewhere else? I am having trouble with it, as I am using onedrive to keep my system up and running without needing to crack open the cabinet and, if I change the view, it repopulates everything. My internet speed is low (100Kb/s), and this make the internet unusable. 3gb is a lot to upload. Thanks.

I'll add this to my list, though it may be a while before I get to it, unfortunately.

On 2/12/2019 at 11:25 AM, Lordmonkus said:

- Improvement: New option to "Hide Auto-Generated Playlists from Playlist View" under the Big Box View settings. This new setting is on by default and will hide all the auto-generated nested playlists from the playlists view.

I guess this didn't also make it into LB? I still see them in LB.

36 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

They are hidden from some areas in LaunchBox, but if we hide them everywhere, then you can't access them anywhere. Where did you want to hide them from?

When I choose Playlist from the drop selection, I get a zillion playlists when I just wanted to see the playlists I created. So I had to rename them all to start with an underscore.

Edit: I do really like those auto generated playlists in the Platform Category view though.

image.thumb.png.31535646e8a8f1f72d34348f497aa303.png

Edited by ckp

18 hours ago, ckp said:

When I choose Playlist from the drop selection, I get a zillion playlists when I just wanted to see the playlists I created. So I had to rename them all to start with an underscore.

Edit: I do really like those auto generated playlists in the Platform Category view though.

image.thumb.png.31535646e8a8f1f72d34348f497aa303.png

I see. Probably the best solution for now would be to add a new platform category just for your custom playlists, and then you could have everything all in one view instead of having to switch to Playlists. I see what you mean though; I'll add that to my list.

• Thanks 1