LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox doesn't start since 9.4

adu

1 minute ago, radio5 said:

Jason, I just tried quitting/closing the Drive sync service, and it still wouldn't work. It there a way to try and update again now that it's closed? I'd like to keep my build portable, by the way.

With Google Drive closed, try deleting the LaunchBox\VLC folder. Then start it up and see if it works. I don't think reinstalling the update will do much of anything, though you can try. There should be a copy of the 9.4 setup in your LaunchBox\Updates folder.

2 minutes ago, JPGIII said:

The info for mine: installed to Dropbox. The "install" technically spans 3 devices, 2 using Win10 Pro, the third using Win 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016. Not run on the LTSB but the folder syncs to it.

Gotcha, thanks. At this point, I do believe that it's likely caused by syncing services. Which is stupid and funny on my part, because I only *just* decided to move my own personal LaunchBox folder outside of Dropbox, sigh.

18 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

With Google Drive closed, try deleting the LaunchBox\VLC folder. Then start it up and see if it works. I don't think reinstalling the update will do much of anything, though you can try. There should be a copy of the 9.4 setup in your LaunchBox\Updates folder.

With Google Drive closed, I tried deleting the VLC folder. No luck. Then I tried running the 9.4 updater and installing it over my existing build. Still no luck.

Edited by radio5
clarification

2 minutes ago, radio5 said:

With Google Drive closed, I tried deleting the VLC folder. No luck. Then I tried running the 9.4 updater and installing it over my existing build. Still no luck.

Alright, been sitting here wracking my brain; I'm running out of ideas lol. Do you have a LaunchBox\Metadata\Sync9413 file? Try deleting that.

No, sir. I'm afraid I don't. lol

It's not a huge deal. Honestly, with the new update allowing you to pick regions when downloading metadata, it might not be a bad idea to start fresh. Besides, I understand the program a lot more than when I first picked it up, so I'll have a much cleaner, leaner build than before. Maybe it will solve my sound startup glitch in BigBox! Thanks for the amazing program, Jason!

2 minutes ago, radio5 said:

No, sir. I'm afraid I don't. lol

It's not a huge deal. Honestly, with the new update allowing you to pick regions when downloading metadata, it might not be a bad idea to start fresh. Besides, I understand the program a lot more than when I first picked it up, so I'll have a much cleaner, leaner build than before. Maybe it will solve my sound startup glitch in BigBox! Thanks for the amazing program, Jason!

You could always copy your Data and media folders out of your old folder and into the new one, so there's no need to start over either way. I still need to get this whole thing figured out though lol.

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

You could always copy your Data and media folders out of your old folder and into the new one, so there's no need to start over either way. I still need to get this whole thing figured out though lol.

Welp. Just learned something new. I'll give this a go tomorrow. Thanks, again.

@Jason Carr I was typing up some 9.4 info when I saw you released 9.5! I downloaded 9.5 and installed into same directory, but the same thing happened again (initializing screen disappeared after update). I tried launching launchbox.exe again and it opened, but gave an error. The error says it was reported to development team but I saved it if you need it. I waited a few more minutes to let things get synced in google drive folder and ran launchbox.exe again and it worked! I tried a few more times to make sure and it is still working. I'm not sure if anyone will run into this same thing, but it seems like just giving it time after the update initially failed worked for me.

Thanks for the quick fix and let me know if you need anything else from me!

20 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

9.5 is out now with what should hopefully be a fix for the issue. If you're stuck in limbo, you can safely just download the latest version from the website and then install over top of your existing folder.

Worked just like you said! I'm back up and running. Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jjb_22 said:

@Jason Carr I attached a text file with the error message. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks again!

error_20190214.txt

I had the same error with the libvlccore.dll first time LB launched in 9.4 right after the update, but after restarting LB did not showed up again. Worth saying; I do not have Dropbox, or synced/shared folders, or external drives, etc.; just a regular PC. Everything so far is working great, so maybe the dll was in use somehow when updating VLC, and restarting did the trick (just thinking out loud nonsense).

Edited by Kondorito