LaunchBox Community Forums

eXoDOS v4

eXo

Regarding the merge of the latest eXoDOS and Win3xO - the documentation says to merge the DOS collection into the Windows structure.  Is that just moving the eXoDOS\Games directory (including !dos) into Win3xO\games?  Or do I dump everything under the top eXoDOS directory into Win3xO?

Thanks. 

I can tell you that if you have v4, then you really don't need to bring anything over from v2 or v3. I don't remove games unless they are duplicated. And since v4 is already in launchbox, you already have that part taken care of for you.

• Like 1

To merge your eXoDOS launchbox files into an existing launchbox installation, do the following:

First: 
Run setup.bat

Second: 
copy .\data\platforms\MS-DOS.xml from the exodos folder to your launchbox folder
move .\Manuals\MS-DOS\*.* from the exodos folder to your launchbox folder
move .\images\MS-DOS\*.* from the exodos folder to your launchbox folder
move .\eXoDOS\*.* from the exodos folder to your launchbox folder

• Like 3
  • The Cake is a Lie 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for all of your hard work eXo. This pack is the easiest way to get Dos games up and running!

I would like to know if it is possible to run your collection through retroarch, since I would very much like to use overlays.

If this isn't possible, I would like to know if there is any way to change the resolution the games run in. Some games just run in a rather small window within a large black frame (when I run in full screen). Correcting the aspect ratio in the config menu does nothing.

Edited by SiriusVI

On 10/23/2019 at 9:41 AM, eXo said:

To merge your eXoDOS launchbox files into an existing launchbox installation, do the following:

First: 
Run setup.bat

Second: 
copy .\data\platforms\MS-DOS.xml from the exodos folder to your launchbox folder
move .\Manuals\MS-DOS\*.* from the exodos folder to your launchbox folder
move .\images\MS-DOS\*.* from the exodos folder to your launchbox folder
move .\eXoDOS\*.* from the exodos folder to your launchbox folder

So I did everything here and I only get illegal command messages as in the picture.

dosbox.PNG

6 hours ago, SiriusVI said:

Thank you so much for all of your hard work eXo. This pack is the easiest way to get Dos games up and running!

I would like to know if it is possible to run your collection through retroarch, since I would very much like to use overlays.

If this isn't possible, I would like to know if there is any way to change the resolution the games run in. Some games just run in a rather small window within a large black frame (when I run in full screen). Correcting the aspect ratio in the config menu does nothing.

No, it doesn't run through retroarch. Retroarch doesn't use the same versions of dosbox that I use.

As far as your display goes, do you have any kind of hardware acceleration for your video card turned on? Is it a laptop with integrated graphics?  Is it a desktop with an nvidia card running an agent? The problem is not with the collection, it is with the way your video card is handling it, as all of those games display fine for most folks.

3 hours ago, Bushgopher said:

So I did everything here and I only get illegal command messages as in the picture.

dosbox.PNG

Then you did something else as well, because my conf files don't try and mount those folders. Looks like you tried to edit the confs or run different ones. At no point would it be trying to mount the 'extras' folder as the C: in any conf I included in the project.

Thanks for the reply, exo. 

I use a desktop PC with an nvidia card. Other than nvidia control center, I don't use any GPU software. I don-t know about hardware acceleration. How do I turn that on/off?

Could custom DPI settings play a role?

EDIT: It's not the DPI settings, I just tested that.

Additional info: I do use multiple displays. One of the displays runs in 1080p, the other one has a higher resolution. I'm not sure that this is the problem, though, since every system I emulate (other than dosbox) works with this setup, and there are some dos games that display correctly, as I mentioned.

I've since found more games that display correctly:

image.thumb.png.13539547d79cd4cf1f2bf97ddfa34a43.png

Edited by SiriusVI

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, a HUGE thank you goes to eXo for starting this project, and to all those who have volunteered to help and make 4.0 possible as a team effort. I've been trying to do something like this for AGES and in a way lesser extension (so far configured 500ish games) and it's taken me forever. It's just something I've come to accept I will never be able to finish. All this goes to say I perfectly understand the sheer amount of effort required to do it, and by so, the true gratitude I'm trying to convey.

On a second note, from my experience, "openglnb" has always been the best option both for pixel accuracy and lack of dithering as well as for achieving a full screen with correct aspect ratio presentation. I really can't stand those filters that dither the graphics, they grind my gears.

Keep up the AWESOME work!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2019 at 12:41 PM, Kinio64 said:

Hi is there any chance to swap zip compression format to more modern 7zip? This would save a lot of disk space for us. 

Thanks for great job

Ive done it manually:

1- You have to put the 7za.exe (c:\program files\7-zip\) inside the util folder in your exodos instalation.

2- Delete the file unzip.exe from the util folder.

3- Rename the 7za.exe to unzip.exe.

4- You'll have to manually edit each install.bat file inside the !dos folder inside your games folder.

Example: 10000 Pyramide:

@echo off
set CONF=%CD%
cd ..
cd ..
cd ..
IF EXIST ".\Games\$100000P\" GOTO dele
:unzip
copy .\util\unzip.exe .\Games\unzip.exe
cd Games
unzip "$100,000 Pyramid (1988).zip"

Will become:

@echo off
set CONF=%CD%
cd ..
cd ..
cd ..
IF EXIST ".\Games\$100000P\" GOTO dele
:unzip
copy .\util\unzip.exe .\Games\unzip.exe
cd Games
unzip x "$100,000 Pyramid (1988).7z"

5- Create a batch file:

Open a new txt file from notepad ;

Paste this command lines to the txt:

:: Q:\Test\2018\10\11\SU_1365974.cmd
@Echo off
Set  z7="C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe"
Set "z7o=a -y -r -t7z -m0=lzma2 -mx=9 -mfb=128 -md=512m "

for %%F in (*.rar *.zip) do (
  %z7% x -y -o"%%F_tmp" "%%F" *
  pushd %%F_tmp
  %z7% %z7o% ..\"%%~nF".7z * ||(pause)
  popd
  rmdir /s /q "%%F_tmp"
  del "%%F"
)

and save it as zipto7z.bat

6 - Put the zipto7z.bat inside your exodos games folder.

7 - Run the batch. It takes about 48 hours to convert.

• 1 month later...

I will be releasing an updated Win3x collection in the next year or two that is compatible with launchbox.

Getting the games imported in isn't too hard, but having all of the manuals, covers, images, metadata, etc all in launchbox took me a while to do for the existing games. And now I'm working on adding new games.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, eXo said:

I will be releasing an updated Win3x collection in the next year or two that is compatible with launchbox.

Getting the games imported in isn't too hard, but having all of the manuals, covers, images, metadata, etc all in launchbox took me a while to do for the existing games. And now I'm working on adding new games.

Awesome! I'm looking forward to it!