LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox takes a long time saving when importing a rom.

ModerateNOOB

Hello hello.

is there any way to shorten save times when importing?, I was used to around 30 seconds but now it takes around 2 minutes (It happened after i updated from ver. 8.5 to the newest).

my game library is quite big but it was also big before i updated?, It would be really cool if there was something i could do about it.

Is anyone experiencing this as well?

2 hours ago, ModerateNOOB said:

Hello hello.

is there any way to shorten save times when importing?, I was used to around 30 seconds but now it takes around 2 minutes (It happened after i updated from ver. 8.5 to the newest).

my game library is quite big but it was also big before i updated?, It would be really cool if there was something i could do about it.

Is anyone experiencing this as well?

I do not think it has anything to do with the updates. I have seen this sporadically during my use over the years with Launchbox. Oddly enough many times closing out Launchbox or rebooting the pc stopped it from happening. Sometimes though it would just randomly go back to normal a few minutes later without doing anything. 

I just imported 10 pc games and all only took a few seconds to download media and each took about 1-2 seconds to save after the media downloaded. 

This is on my test pc running the latest beta and on my main arcade. 

5 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I do not think it has anything to do with the updates. I have seen this sporadically during my use over the years with Launchbox. Oddly enough many times closing out Launchbox or rebooting the pc stopped it from happening. Sometimes though it would just randomly go back to normal a few minutes later without doing anything. 

I just imported 10 pc games and all only took a few seconds to download media and each took about 1-2 seconds to save after the media downloaded. 

This is on my test pc running the latest beta and on my main arcade. 

Ok, But i had this problem for about a week now.

I also thought it would solve itself, But i have restarted Launchbox and my pc several times during the last 7 days, and nothing has changed?.

I have never experienced importing and saving after just a few seconds, Can i borrow your lucky trousers ? ?

1 minute ago, ModerateNOOB said:

Ok, But i had this problem for about a week now.

I also thought it would solve itself, But i have restarted Launchbox and my pc several times during the last 7 days, and nothing has changed?.

I have never experienced importing and saving after just a few seconds, Can i borrow your lucky trousers ? ?

LOL. 

Yeah I am not sure what it is. I do not think anything Jason released in the last update altered scraping and importing games. I just know I have randomly seen what you mentioned. When I am talking save I mean the point at which after the media is done downloading the progress bar changes to Now Saving. It is from that point randomly I would get where it took like 1-2 minutes before the prompt showing how many games were imported. Normally it is only a couple seconds. 

19 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

LOL. 

Yeah I am not sure what it is. I do not think anything Jason released in the last update altered scraping and importing games. I just know I have randomly seen what you mentioned. When I am talking save I mean the point at which after the media is done downloading the progress bar changes to Now Saving. It is from that point randomly I would get where it took like 1-2 minutes before the prompt showing how many games were imported. Normally it is only a couple seconds. 

Yep the 2 first steps are pretty smooth, It's the now saving part that takes a couple of minutes in my case.

BTW is it safe rolling back?, It Might or might not fix it (Who knows).

18 minutes ago, ModerateNOOB said:

Yep the 2 first steps are pretty smooth, It's the now saving part that takes a couple of minutes in my case.

BTW is it safe rolling back?, It Might or might not fix it (Who knows).

You can roll back. Just look for the last version of the install you want to use in the /Launchbox/Updates folder.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, TheNewClassics said:

Hey @Jason Carr and LB team, any chance you guys might have a guess as to what's causing this? I have a large collection as well, but when importing a single arcade game it takes a few minutes on the "Saving Games" step before it is successfully imported.

There's a lot that is done at the end of the process. It's all necessary and I currently don't know of an easy way to speed it up. I can add it to the list though to see what I can do.

I looked into this; it's taking longer than it used to because we added the "combine with existing games" option, which is on by default. It has to process all existing games for the platform, which does take some time. On my system it's around 5 seconds to process a platform with 1,000 games, but I guess on lower-end systems it could take a lot longer.

I don't immediately see any way to speed that part up, but I'll take a deeper look here at some point.