LaunchBox Community Forums

Is there a way to lower the default volume of the Big Box startup videos? (Outside of manually editing the video itself)

PurpleTentacle

I have the Big Box volume levels set to around 40%, so the startup videos playing at 100% volume is way too loud for me.  If there isn't an option to turn down the volume within Launch Box/Big Box, I could always do it in a video editor, but I'd prefer to avoid that unless I have no other option.

(Mostly unrelated, but man, I LOVE the difference in how well Big Box runs on my laptop with the controller fix.)

Hi, This one sounds tricky. I think the only way to do this one would be to edit the video. What format is the video in? Something like "Windows Movie Maker" is a quick and easy program to use to edit the video.

Have you got a master volume control on your speakers/Amplifier?

The way I would solve this is to match your Launchbox software volume levels with the levels of the opening video. And then use the controls in your operating system to set at say 40% or set the amplifier at 40% to get the levels you want

2 hours ago, bman83 said:

Hi, This one sounds tricky. I think the only way to do this one would be to edit the video. What format is the video in? Something like "Windows Movie Maker" is a quick and easy program to use to edit the video.

Have you got a master volume control on your speakers/Amplifier?

The way I would solve this is to match your Launchbox software volume levels with the levels of the opening video. And then use the controls in your operating system to set at say 40% or set the amplifier at 40% to get the levels you want

All of the startup videos I have are from the downloads here, so they're all mp4 (I use the randomizer plugin in order to randomly play one of the videos). For my main computer, I use an external sound device for my headphones, which I tend to have turned up a bit so that some of the more quiet apps are loud enough, and I turn down everything else (hence which Big Box is at about 40%). So I think I'm going to end up editing the videos so that they're permanently a bit lower, just so they don't blow my eardrums.

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

is there a way to open the vlc version in LB and set the volume level from there? This of course assumes you are using VLC in BB.

I am using VLC in Big Box, yeah... I suppose if that saves the volume level, than that could work. I'd have to turn the Big Box video volume up in Big Box to accommodate for that. That's a pretty easily solution, but then that does kind of complicate things for using Big Box on other computers (I.E. the volume levels wouldn't be relative to each other). I think I'd rather edit the videos to have a lower volume, just because I'd rather have the volume settings within Big Box to be relative to each other (in other words, the menu sounds being somewhat similar in volume level to the game preview videos).

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...