LaunchBox Community Forums

Difference between "import /Rom Files" and "MAME Arcade Full set"

tippjr

Please, feel free to ask for a refund and go try one of the free front ends out there, i'm sure you will find those are more effort to get working.

Now if you want help we will do our best to help but this passive aggressive crap ends here or we will stop helping you.

• Like 1

Question In the case of mameui .the ini file is names mameui.ini . Will lb recognize this or can I only have one mame.ini and therefore only one mame emulator (excluding retroarch)?

Again thanks for all the help, sorry for being salty. just getting super frustrated since Ive been working on this for 4 days straight.

9 minutes ago, Airpyr8t said:

create /edit tomato tomato . the whole point is to get the whole shebang to be able to all run in lb /bb and be able to run them just via the emulators  outside of lb /bb without having to change ANYTHING after its all set up right. Be a lot easier if ALL the info needed was included into video turtorials. most of the ones I find are out dated or missing steps.

LB does what you are saying you want it to do. Things changes, emulators get updated. How can you expect the Launchbox dev to know how every update to an emulator affects how things run through the frontend. Some emulators get nightly updates and can quickly make a video tutorial outdated. That's why there are people on a forum to help with those little nuanced issues. Instead of arguing against the tips and steps you are given to make things work how about just try them out. The forum mods and member are willing to help, but it can quickly get to the point they are no longer willing to help if you are not willing to listen.

You do not have to change anything after it is set up if you set it up right.

1 minute ago, Airpyr8t said:

Question In the case of mameui .the ini file is names mameui.ini . Will lb recognize this or can I only have one mame.ini and therefore only one mame emulator (excluding retroarch)?

Again thanks for all the help, sorry for being salty. just getting super frustrated since Ive been working on this for 4 days straight.

MameUI.ini is the config for the actual UI of MameUI. Launchbox does not care about this file. 

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

LB does what you are saying you want it to do. Things changes, emulators get updated. How can you expect the Launchbox dev to know how every update to an emulator affects how things run through the frontend. Some emulators get nightly updates and can quickly make a video tutorial outdated. That's why there are people on a forum to help with those little nuanced issues. Instead of arguing against the tips and steps you are given to make things work how about just try them out. The forum mods and member are willing to help, but it can quickly get to the point they are no longer willing to help if you are not willing to listen.

You do not have to change anything after it is set up if you set it up right.

I am not arguing with anyone. I missed the posts about the ini file between all this back and forth and testing. All I have done is report what I have done and my findings there-in.

4 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

MameUI.ini is the config for the actual UI of MameUI. Launchbox does not care about this file. 

IM going to test it . But from what your saying. If lb ignores the mameui.ini outside of mameui , mame ui is not going to work with roms outside of the roms folder in the mameui folder I imagine.

Edited by Airpyr8t

8 hours ago, Airpyr8t said:

IM going to test it . But from what your saying. If lb ignores the mameui.ini outside of mameui , mame ui is not going to work I imagine.

No. The MameUI is the config file for the MameUI user interface and its menus. It has nothing to do with MameUI launching games, which is why MameUI creates a mame.ini. The Mame.ini if you look inside that file has all the parameters MameUI needs to launch a game, like the rom path, video options, and even some control items. This is the file important to a game running via command line.

That is why we never mentioned MameUI.ini. We only mentioned Mame.ini

45 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Please, feel free to ask for a refund and go try one of the free front ends out there, i'm sure you will find those are more effort to get working.

Now if you want help we will do our best to help but this passive aggressive crap ends here or we will stop helping you.

look sir ive been trying out different UI's since ive discovered them over 10 years ago, ive gone through several over the years. Ive already paid for this, and spent days setting it up. Had no problems Except for mame (but mame has always been a pain) and getting bezels to work easily. Things that would help other people new to the program. Complete instructions in one place for each system. When giving advice such as "put mame.ini in same folder as mame.exe" I and probably some others would have had a clearer picture of what to do if told "Copy mame.ini from INI folder in your mame dir to the same dir as the emulator's executable." Like a lot of techno geeks I am high functioning autistic and if things are not spelled out step by step exactly, I may miss steps and my brain does not always fill in the blanks correctly. Again thank you all for your patience with me. Its just tough living in a world were everybody seems to give partial information, cause there's a lot of things they naturally get, that I and people like me do not. Cheers from another Josh

whatchdogsjosh.jpg

The issue at hand is the 3rd party version of mame you are using, the author changed the default path for mame.ini, using the proper mame exe will solve any further issues you may have, using a 3rd party version can carry risks of stuff not working correctly. And as LB uses proper mame as its default, then the issues you have fall at the mameui devs fault. The team here cant fix every issue that xxx emulator may have.

8 minutes ago, MadK9 said:

The issue at hand is the 3rd party version of mame you are using, the author changed the default path for mame.ini, using the proper mame exe will solve any further issues you may have, using a 3rd party version can carry risks of stuff not working correctly. And as LB uses proper mame as its default, then the issues you have fall at the mameui devs fault. The team here cant fix every issue that xxx emulator may have.

MADK9 . I am testing BOTH official mame220 downloaded by LB links AND my old mame64ui Iv'e allready had set up and working for YEARS. I am trying to (successfully now) integrate BOTH into Launchbox   for my own reasons. MY issue was I missed the step about COPYING the MAME.INI from the INI FOLDER, to the root dir of the emulator I want to use AFTER setting up the emulator and rom Directories in said emulator. FYI the caps are not yelling. THey are keywords for other people looking to find info quikly.

Edited by Airpyr8t

6 hours ago, Airpyr8t said:

MADK9 . I am testing BOTH official mame220 downloaded by LB links AND my old mame64ui Iv'e allready had set up and working for YEARS. I am trying to (successfully now) integrate BOTH into Launchbox   for my own reasons. MY issue was I missed the step about COPYING the MAME.INI from the INI FOLDER, to the root dir of the emulator I want to use AFTER setting up the emulator and rom Directories in said emulator. FYI the caps are not yelling. THey are keywords for other people looking to find info quikly.

FYI the mame.ini issue is nothing to do with Launchbox not being able to read it, it doesnt read it. The issue is when the ini was moved in mameui by the devs it broke it somewhat. Loading games from within the mameui interface still works as expected, however when loading games via command line, which is what Launchbox does, mameui still looks in the normal location for the ini file, and not the new location of the ini folder that the deves moved it to.

TLDR:

commandline loading looks in the root folder as it always did, loading from the UI looks in the new location. This is why copying the ini into the root folder works.