LaunchBox Community Forums

Difference between "import /Rom Files" and "MAME Arcade Full set"

tippjr

I have not been able to get ANY MAME games to play:

What is the difference when importing games/roms into LB?  Not knowing how this works, my assumption is that I am basically doing the same thing, after I check all the boxes (when choosing the "import/Rom files" option) to import the meta data while working through the import wizard?

Does the choosing he "MAME Arcade full set" option just import all of the game art and other associated files for every arcade game?

I have been able to get other games systems to work , but cannot get any arcades to open up.  I click play within LB and MAME "initializes" then just stops after 1 second.

What settings should I check?  I have tried both of the above options and I still cannot get any to work.  Downloaded .208 MAME Romset and MAME 2.08 from a reputable source.

Thanks!

20190410_171904.jpg

The Mame FullSet Import tool is for people who have a complete and up to date rom set, it uses the Mame database file to import. It uses this database to better filter the games and add clone roms to the additional apps so that clones are under the main game for easy access.

• 1 year later...

import mame set does not seem to give your the option of moving or copying the files to launchbox games like rom import does. I was hoping to use it it to sort out all the non working and cocktail and mechanical  games to give me a more refined list but it looks like im going to have to go through all 35000 one by one. Woof. Told mame .220 where all my roms are in mame. Have all my chds in folders mathcing the name of the zipped roms. Nothing NOthing works. Mame64gui.46 worked wayy better than this. I cant believe  I spent 75 f'n buks  and now im getting pissed.!!!

Just now, Airpyr8t said:

update: ok so for some weird reason the roms HAVE to be in the roms folder in mame and NOT ANYWHERE ELSE it seems. WOrks now , no bazels tho yet, not as many options (or they are not as easy to find) as old mame64ui..

Your roms can be anywhere as long as you tell MAME that. There are mame bezels all over the internet, and we even have packs here in the download section, very easy to find with a quick google.

um I told mame where they were when they were in launchbox roms. and they did not work either via launchbox or mame, sooo...somethings off. now they are in launchbox emulators mamenew roms , and its working fine .. figuring out bezels via bezel rpoject now.

That worked. Now How may I easily delete all the extra roms that I dont want like some of the ones with 60 gig chd's and a bunch of other ones. It seems that lauchbox displays a select bunch of roms but all the files for the ignored ones still bloat the collection.

1 minute ago, Airpyr8t said:

That worked. Now How may I easily delete all the extra roms that I dont want like some of the ones with 60 gig chd's and a bunch of other ones. It seems that lauchbox displays a select bunch of roms but all the files for the ignored ones still bloat the collection.

Unless you have a non-merged romset you cant delete anything, roms will rely on files in other zips that you may think you dont need.

im pretty sure its not merged looks like bios's have their own zips, chds are each in a seperate folder manching parent rom zip file name, noy sure if the roms zips are merged or not as there are quite a fre with the same name but serperate identafires ie bob , boba, bob1, bobc ect.... What are your thoughts? Oh and as Crochety as I am I do thank you very much, From the binary of my code, for all your tips and help.

that increasing internal rez might be a false memory.. Back to my question of batch removing unwanted roms, or deleting the files of the HD straight from the gui (that would be soo cool) I'm attaching me rom directory structure to see if that will help clarify things

tree.txt

So Neat things. Seems old Mameui64 187  can run the new romset 202 fine. Cannot launch roms through LB though. Thus adding more weight to when it come to Mame emulators and LB the roms Have to be in the Mame emulators rom folder. to test this further I placed all the files needed to run arkanoid in my launchbox/emulators/mame64ui/roms folder and guess what, It worked, even though that directory is not set up in the actual emulator, which is looking in my launchbox/emulators/mame220b/roms folder. This means to me LB does override the emulators directory paths somewhat, but for mame (mame 220b and mame64ui 187 only so far)the games HAVE TO BE IN THE EMULATOR ROM DIRECTORY. At least on my system for some reason.

Edited by Airpyr8t

some games will work others will not and some that have been added since then will be missing. To have your games in a different location you have to tell MAME where you have them in the .ini file SO NO THEY DO NOT HAVE TO BE IN THE EMULATORS ROM DIRECTORY. here is proof of concept

image.thumb.png.89db7a06d900bf1bf09993ae5f8819e2.pngThat is my setup fully working inside and out of LB.

33 minutes ago, Airpyr8t said:

So Neat things. Seems old Mameui64 187  can run the new romset 202 fine. Cannot launch roms through LB though. Thus adding more weight to when it come to Mame emulators and LB the roms Have to be in the Mame emulators rom folder.

No, there is no weight that the roms "have to be" in the Mame emulators rom folder to work in LB.  As has been stated by the other to mods the roms can be anywhere as long as you put the rom path in mame.

The reason you are probably having issues is you are using MameUI and as an offshoot of mame they place their mame.ini file in the ini folder. LB looks for it to be in the root folder of Mame where the original mame actually places it. For some reason many versions ago the developer of MameUI decided to move the mame.ini into the ini folder.  So we have had to constantly let users of MameUI no to move the ini file to the root folder where the Mame exe is.

read more carefully please. roms outside of mame22b ( not gui just regular ol new mame) WILL NOT!! run the roms if they are outside of that emulators directory either. Even though both emulators had the directories set up in them to point to my launchbox/roms/mame220, as I mentioned. I tested them both. Your belief they work outside is debunked by 6hours of testing trial and error.

Edited by Airpyr8t

18 minutes ago, Airpyr8t said:

read more carefully please

You might wanna take your own advice and re-read what @Retro808 and @DOS76 told you.

Move your mame.ini to the main folder with the Mame executable, nothing to do with actual rom location.

19 minutes ago, Airpyr8t said:

Your belief they work outside is debunked by 6hours of testing trial and error.

Our "belief" is proven by the simple fact we all do it.

that should have been mentioned in the video. ill try it n see if thats a permanent solution. Question though. if your move the roms somewhere after moving the ini file, logic denotes that you would have to create a new ini file and then move that, correct?

create /edit tomato tomato . the whole point is to get the whole shebang to be able to all run in lb /bb and be able to run them just via the emulators  outside of lb /bb without having to change ANYTHING after its all set up right. Be a lot easier if ALL the info needed was included into video turtorials. most of the ones I find are out dated or missing steps.