LaunchBox Community Forums

Populating Playlist after selecting Platform

Hello All,

I am new to the Launchbox/Big Box community and I am still learning. I am running into an issue that is really ticking me off. I am currently running the Unified Theme for BigBox and can't seem to find a way to populate the Mame auto generated Playlist after selecting the "Arcade" platform. Is this even possible? Currently when I select the "Arcade" platform it loads all of the roms that are for that platform. I would love to actually have the "Arcade" platform load the playlist so that I can choose a game to play based on my playlist. 

Thank you.

If you right click a playlist and edit it in Launchbox you can set where you want it to show up by editing the Parents tab. Additionally, there is a check box on the details tab you can check to have the playlist included with platforms. This will change how BigBox displays it also. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 7.58.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 7.59.42 AM.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi @Retro808

Trying to figure out exactly how this works, I'm also using the Unified Theme and i want my default view to be platforms. Once i select the platform "Arcade" i want to see the playlists as sub-categories on a wheel instead of a confusing list of over 2800 games. I hope this is indeed possible, and sorry if it's actually very simple and i'm just being a complete NOOB.

Thanks in advance.

4 minutes ago, Azzman1000 said:

Hi @Retro808

Trying to figure out exactly how this works, I'm also using the Unified Theme and i want my default view to be platforms. Once i select the platform "Arcade" i want to see the playlists as sub-categories on a wheel instead of a confusing list of over 2800 games. I hope this is indeed possible, and sorry if it's actually very simple and i'm just being a complete NOOB.

Thanks in advance.

You need to edit your playlists by right clicking on them. As you can see in this image i go to the parents tab then use the + next yo the Arcade category to expand it.

image.thumb.png.c4d655fb53a44bb3a773f5e41fc12772.pngI have three different platforms under my Arcade category, but you probably just have the one. So simply check the box for the platform you want the playlist to appear under. Her i chose the Platform i use with my Arcade Stick.

image.thumb.png.0a44140d2d0839d01991a10fd3fe8d94.png

Hi @neil9000

Thanks for the reply, just to be clear my default view is platforms as pictured11.thumb.png.70667a4d05f79ff121920cfe2e12b9c3.pngso i want the playlists to show up once i select Arcade from platforms so that i can have my MAME library nice and tidy while having my main startup screen to show platforms only. 

22.thumb.png.8af6f6c623903a6d21144ed59d19974f.pngsorry again for my epic NOOBINESS

cheers

Edited by Azzman1000

1 hour ago, Azzman1000 said:

Hi @neil9000

Thanks for the reply, just to be clear my default view is platforms as pictured11.thumb.png.70667a4d05f79ff121920cfe2e12b9c3.pngso i want the playlists to show up once i select Arcade from platforms so that i can have my MAME library nice and tidy while having my main startup screen to show platforms only. 

22.thumb.png.8af6f6c623903a6d21144ed59d19974f.pngsorry again for my epic NOOBINESS

cheers

You just need to uncheck the box in the Arcade (Category) listing. Then all playlists will show up as a subcategory of Arcade. So you will have 3 tiers. Arcade (Category) > Arcade (Platform) > then all your playlists. 

By keeping both checked, you can see in my image when I edited my Castlevania playlist, it puts it both under the Arcade (Category) and under the Arcade (Platform)

Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 1.45.36 PM.png

Thanks for the reply,

I tried this many different ways with constant failure. In the end i have it working as i wanted, i had to change the Bigbox default view to "platforms categories" and set all my consoles to show in "root" so that my first wheel shows all consoles including "Arcade" as a console, then when i select arcade, the playlists are a separate wheel

11.thumb.png.c253324a82fdfac6231b664ce5c84e24.png

main startup screen with all "platforms" bellow22.thumb.png.df75568a61db51044b72f815e436d363.png

Arcade sub-categories inside the "Arcade" platform.33.thumb.png.17660ababe817043ddfb7a32da43c755.pngthanks for all the replies.

Edited by Azzman1000

• 2 years later...
7 hours ago, thefritz11 said:

This is an old one but I'm trying to get my BigBox to display just like you were. When using platform categories as the main view I have to put to the "console" platform category somewhere even though I don't need it since I have all the consoles I need in the root. How did you handle that?

You can simply delete the Consoles category if you don't want to use it. Right click it and hit Delete from the context menu that appears.