LaunchBox Community Forums

Emulator UI optimized for joystick/touchscreen use?

DaveC1964

I have seen menus used for Android and Raspberry pi and they seem much easier to use with a joystick and on a TV (no micro fonts).  I tried LB but it takes forever to load on a low spec PC, it doesn't seem practical if I know for example I just want to play a SNES game.  I don't need to wait 4 minutes for a whole environment with 30 systems in it to load first.  It is also confusing to get things working right many times.  Is there something simple and fast loading that is available?  I would actually like a stand alone UI that maybe could directly load cores or emulators.  For example I want to play SNES, I just pick the SNES icon on the desktop and it only loads resources for SNES not  every other system too.  This would save a lot of load time and make configuring easier because I know the settings I make will just be for SNES and not change or overwrite settings for some other system.

I know about Retroarch but honestly the UI is awful.  It is a mess and not laid out logically making it confusing and a chore to use and configure.  When you want to play something you need to go through a bunch of useless questions.  Many times you aren't even sure what configuration is being saved for what system. It doesn't even remember last used game or specific ROM path per system.   You need to dance through the directory tree every single time.

Is there a quick fast solution?

Thanks.

Edited by DaveC1964

There is not. It sounds like this product isn't for you and you are looking for something else. Good luck in that endeavor. The best you can do is setup multiple instances of LB and only load one system into each one.

• Like 1

Yeah, this just sounds like you do not want a frontend at all. That is the whole point of a frontend, to have everything together and organised inside of one UI. Sounds like you just need to associate romfiles with the specific emulator they use so double clicking a rom will open it in the emulator of your choice.

Everything you mention as negatives are actually positives for 99.9% of people and that is why they use a frontend in the first place.

10 hours ago, DaveC1964 said:

I would actually like a stand alone UI that maybe could directly load cores or emulators. 

That's exactly what LaunchBox is.  AKA, a Frontend.  

10 hours ago, DaveC1964 said:

Is there a quick fast solution?

Have multiple instances of LaunchBox 'installed' and set each one up for each of your individual 30 platforms, respectively.  So you'd have something like:  D:\LaunchBox-SNES\  and D:\LaunchBox-N64... etc.  From there, create  shortcuts on your desktop to each LaunchBox.exe and naming them accordingly.

With 30 platforms I'm guessing you have A LOT of games.  Assuming LB has been given the time to build it's cache files (which on 1st time around can take some time, especially with a lot of games) it shouldn't take 4 minutes to load.  Keep in mind, what it's mainly loading [basically] are the image files for each game (via cache).  Given that, next best option is to upgrade components of your system.

15 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah, this just sounds like you do not want a frontend at all. That is the whole point of a frontend, to have everything together and organised inside of one UI. Sounds like you just need to associate romfiles with the specific emulator they use so double clicking a rom will open it in the emulator of your choice.

Everything you mention as negatives are actually positives for 99.9% of people and that is why they use a frontend in the first place.

That would be ok if it were fast.  The thing is if I just want to play a SNES game I don't need to load data for all systems I have emulated first and wait all of that time for all of the thumbnails to load etc.

Associating ROMfiles is not practical if you have 5000 C-64 games etc.

It seems like LB is good if you only have a few systems emulated with only a handful of games for each one.  Either that or a beast PC with a big fast SSD that you never turn off.  I am sure many do have that setup but I am running this on a GPD Win 2 handheld.  I like to have the games on a portable.  I was looking for a more lean frontend for a low spec PC such as that.

15 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

That's exactly what LaunchBox is.  AKA, a Frontend.  

Have multiple instances of LaunchBox 'installed' and set each one up for each of your individual 30 platforms, respectively.  So you'd have something like:  D:\LaunchBox-SNES\  and D:\LaunchBox-N64... etc.  From there, create  shortcuts on your desktop to each LaunchBox.exe and naming them accordingly.

With 30 platforms I'm guessing you have A LOT of games.  Assuming LB has been given the time to build it's cache files (which on 1st time around can take some time, especially with a lot of games) it shouldn't take 4 minutes to load.  Keep in mind, what it's mainly loading [basically] are the image files for each game (via cache).  Given that, next best option is to upgrade components of your system.

Will multiple instances work?  I wasn't sure if each one would step on the other with registry entry conflicts etc.

Upgrading components isn't possible, I want to use this on a portable (GPD Win 2).

2 hours ago, DaveC1964 said:

It seems like LB is good if you only have a few systems emulated with only a handful of games for each one.  Either that or a beast PC with a big fast SSD that you never turn off

No, it runs well on a modest PC as just fine.

2 hours ago, DaveC1964 said:

Upgrading components isn't possible, I want to use this on a portable (GPD Win 2)

The GPD Win 2 is a very low powered device with extremely poor integrated graphics.

19 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

The GPD Win 2 is a very low powered device with extremely poor integrated graphics.

Exactly, which is why I need a low overhead front end.  Also why I need something that will work well on a tiny screen (even though it has HDMI out too)

It emulates everyting through Dreamcast well so it is all I need for a portable.

Edited by DaveC1964