LaunchBox Community Forums

W10 controller order issue

shady8knight

Hi guys, i have a problem with the controller order on W10. I built a retrogame consolle (it's just a PC with a nice case) with BigBox and lot of things inside. Pretty good, what's the matter.... sometimes, randomly but most of time when i move my consolle from on TV to another, W10 changes the controller order.... 1 becomes 2 and viceversa. Is there a way to finally fix the controller order in W10? I searched on web but nothing usefull. Thank you very much.

Just now, shady8knight said:

Hi guys, i have a problem with the controller order on W10. I built a retrogame consolle (it's just a PC with a nice case) with BigBox and lot of things inside. Pretty good, what's the matter.... sometimes, randomly but most of time when i move my consolle from on TV to another, W10 changes the controller order.... 1 becomes 2 and viceversa. Is there a way to finally fix the controller order in W10? I searched on web but nothing usefull. Thank you very much.

Unfortunately this is just how Windows handles USB device ID's. Unplugging and replugging or just restarting your machine means that the device ID's will be re-assigned, and the order of them is just what Windows decides to do.

There is a small 3rd party app that works awesomely. You can either set it to keep the USBs order for the entire system, for a specific folder, or a specific app. You can even make specific USBs controllers be hidden for specific apps without the need to unplug them.

Check the Git and see if it works for you; it did wonders for me:

https://github.com/briankendall/devreorder

Woah, I have to try that.  I almost had a heart attack when my kid unplugged my gamecube 4 controller adapter to use for his switch.  I said "you didn't turn the computer on while it was disconnected did you!!@@@???" Lol.  Luckily he didn't, so I could plug it back in and everything was fine. But man, it's annoying to always worry about stuff like that because windows won't let you assign stuff.

9 hours ago, Kondorito said:

There is a small 3rd party app that works awesomely. You can either set it to keep the USBs order for the entire system, for a specific folder, or a specific app. You can even make specific USBs controllers be hidden for specific apps without the need to unplug them.

Check the Git and see if it works for you; it did wonders for me:

https://github.com/briankendall/devreorder

Great tool but it doesn't work with XInput devices, just Direct8Input devices.

MAME has great input device ordering builtin that you can check out online in the MAME docs which helps for that emulator as well.