LaunchBox Community Forums

[Tutorial] How to launch Philips CDi Games with Retroarch in LaunchBox

SiriusVI

5 minutes ago, SiriusVI said:

UPDATE: In order for CDi emulation to continue working, you need to get the updated cdimono1 bios file from mame. It was updated some time ago and CDi emulation on newer mame versions without the updated bios file is broken.

Well that is true of MAME in general, you shouldnt be updating the emulator if you are not also updating your romsets and bios files to match.

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I have a problem running cd-i game in chd format. I follow this tutorial but i also got the blurry screen "initializing" with required file is missing. I have mame - current (0.237), i have this folder RetroArch\system\mame\hash with cdi.xml. My games are in cd-i\cdimono1\ with cdimono1.zip. I start game with the dummy file.

I thought that was the bios or game, but i tried with mess (standalone version) with the same file and it work. There is a specific option to change in the core in retroarch? What i missing?

Edited by thewhite

I found the problem, i doesn't see it in the tutorial;

Here's the folder structure we need;
-- CD-i (rom folder)
----- cidmono1.zip (bios file)
----- hotmario.zip (dummy zip file)
----- hotmario (folder same name as dummy file)
---------- hotel mario (1994)(philips)(eu)[!].chd (same filename found in the xml file)

So you need to create a folder with your chd in and your chd need to have the same name in cdi.xml.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone had any experience with the cursor randomly drifting down and right with the mame core? As soon as I start the game the Philips cursor starts slowly drifting and I can only move it with my arrow keys on my keyboard, not my Xbox controller. Doesn't have an effect on some games (Tetris), but I can't play Wand of Gamelon at all because I'm constantly moving to the right and crouching as I do. I figure there's a setting somewhere, I just have no idea what it is.

• 10 months later...
4 hours ago, CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT said:

I don't if @SiriusVI still frequents the site or not, but I finally got CD-i games running thanks to your guide, so wanted to let you it is much appreciated. I had basically given up on ever getting it to work, but now it does. Thank you!

I'm still here. Thanks =). However, this tutorial is kind of pointless now that retroarch has a dedicated cdi core, I think... 

11 hours ago, SiriusVI said:

I'm still here. Thanks =). However, this tutorial is kind of pointless now that retroarch has a dedicated cdi core, I think... 

still helped figure out where to put some things, but yeah the core was different (the SAME core and can load directly from the CHDs). still had my BIOS files sorted incorrectly though and games were not booting at all with SAME so still helped me out

• Thanks 1