LaunchBox Community Forums

Nvidia Shield Removable Storage

electrobrain

Should be getting my shield in the next couple of days.

I have 8tb ready to add to it.. Its a backup seagate I have seen its 'slow' in videos to late now I have it.. but I'm hoping itshould be Fine for my plans.. 

But I'm wondering is it best to add it to the system storage or have it removable?

I plan to us it purely for kodi base build and launchbox and the free steam games. 

I have maxed my 3tb out so I know I will need to move everything over via a network share (totally new to me...) Or a simple transfer of files. 

But I'm unsure if the drive can be removed once it's formatted to the shield.. 

Feels like a weekend of headache eitherway.. Throw in a 8 Yr with a fortnite addiction and I'm suiting up for hell.. 

Help... 

1 minute ago, Mu144 said:

Should be getting my shield in the next couple of days.

I have 8tb ready to add to it.. Its a backup seagate I have seen its 'slow' in videos to late now I have it.. but I'm hoping itshould be Fine for my plans.. 

But I'm wondering is it best to add it to the system storage or have it removable?

I plan to us it purely for kodi base build and launchbox and the free steam games. 

I have maxed my 3tb out so I know I will need to move everything over via a network share (totally new to me...) Or a simple transfer of files. 

But I'm unsure if the drive can be removed once it's formatted to the shield.. 

Feels like a weekend of headache eitherway.. Throw in a 8 Yr with a fortnite addiction and I'm suiting up for hell.. 

Help... 

If you format it as internal storage on the shield it will only ever work on that specific shield device. The whole drive will be encrypted and the only way to use it anywhere else would be to format it. You mention steam games so im assuming you also want to use the drive on PC, so you cant format it as Shield internal storage if you want to do that.

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

If you format it as internal storage on the shield it will only ever work on that specific shield device. The whole drive will be encrypted and the only way to use it anywhere else would be to format it. You mention steam games so im assuming you also want to use the drive on PC, so you cant format it as Shield internal storage if you want to do that.

We only have one TV, so I don't plan on buying a second shield, but I was wondering what is the best way to go about it. 

I will need to remove the drive to add games LB app or update my movies via pc. 

The method I used now is kodi on my laptop and a hdmi lead to my TV. 

So it's easy to update my kodi files.. But my laptop just can't handle launchbox remember me from discord Neil... 

So I thought a shield would be best now Jason added this app verson of launchbox. 

Also I said steam games but it will most likely be the free stuff out the box,if I understand how a shield works that it.. 

I thought if I brought games on steam I could just install them on the shield and never even play them on my laptop.. Anyway I don't plan on buying any just yet.. Haha yet... 

3 minutes ago, Mu144 said:

I thought if I brought games on steam I could just install them on the shield and never even play them on my laptop

You cannot install steam games on a Nvidia shield, that runs Android and steam doesnt sell Android games. You could stream the games via the Steam app, but you would obviously need to have the game installed on a PC and the game would be running there fullscreen while streaming so the PC would not be usable while streaming.

5 minutes ago, Mu144 said:

I will need to remove the drive to add games LB app or update my movies via pc. 

Then that answers your question, you can NOT format it on the shield as internal storage because as i said it will only work on that device if you do, your PC simply will not read the drive.

OK but it I did format it and just transfered and updated via a network share from my hardwired laptop and hardwired shield. 

Seen a video on this but not tired it.. Assuming it's possible.. 

But the other way.. if I unplug and update when needed and its just an external storage will kodi and launchbox work OK, I'm assuming I'll have some files issue this way..pathways and duplicated files on internal and external... 

Or is it just a case of installing kodi and launchbox app on the external first.? 

I'm guessing a file share via network is much more streamline but will come with its own problems.. 

Just looking for the easier problem free way. 

Hey guys,

I was recently given an old Diskless NAS Box, the WD My Cloud EX4 (Extremely Slow) but works well for my intended use. I labled it "Captain Slow" (Nodd to those who got the reference), I have yet to export my LaunchBox Library to it, but once I do, how do I get LB on Android to see it and games on it ? I dunno how to set it up as it has 3 HDDs inside a 500gb WD Black for my Android Phone Backup and DropBox, another WD Red with my Windows n Mac Essentials,  and a blank 4TB WD Red which will be for LB on my nVidia Shield eventually...

Edited by TechXero

Just a bit of forum therapy... Wife is giving Me glazed look... 

OK got my shield.. Its so tiny!!! 

Hooked up my 8tb seagate (backup drive) 

Ignored the slow drive warning formatted drive to internal, set up shield added kodi etc.. 

Figured out how to file share and transfered some show..smb thingy 

But then fired up kodi once I had a bunch of shows on the drive.. And it got slow.. Black screen etc.. Slow drive was haunting me.. 

Died a little inside.. So I started over  reformatted the 8tb and I'm now making that my pc storage.. 

Found a 1tb ssd which is work has external so far.. 

Made a plex server so I have my TV shows and movies on kodi from the USB and movies on plex.. 

Started messing around with my android packet (should of walked away...)

I have on my desktop for my phone. 

Added that to my 1tb USB and it extracts the file (gba) but then black screen.. 

I'm assuming that the shield is seeing two paths one on the USB and one on the internal. 

I downloaded the app from Google and added the android folder from my pc. 

How can I get it set right. 

I have seen a lot of videos where a app is used to move files and delete files inside files called es explorer but that apps gone now.. 

So how can I set the path up.. 

Its be a long weekend.. 

Please help, give me a win lol. 

On 10/12/2019 at 3:02 AM, TechXero said:

Hey guys,

I was recently given an old Diskless NAS Box, the WD My Cloud EX4 (Extremely Slow) but works well for my intended use. I labled it "Captain Slow" (Nodd to those who got the reference), I have yet to export my LaunchBox Library to it, but once I do, how do I get LB on Android to see it and games on it ? I dunno how to set it up as it has 3 HDDs inside a 500gb WD Black for my Android Phone Backup and DropBox, another WD Red with my Windows n Mac Essentials,  and a blank 4TB WD Red which will be for LB on my nVidia Shield eventually...

LaunchBox for Android looks for the /Android/data/com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox/files/LaunchBox folder on every drive found attached to the device, picks the first one it finds, and uses the data from that folder. So if you put it in the right spot, it should be automatically picked up from any drive (assuming a recent version of Android, but the Shield is fine for that).

On 10/13/2019 at 9:38 AM, Mu144 said:

Just a bit of forum therapy... Wife is giving Me glazed look... 

OK got my shield.. Its so tiny!!! 

Hooked up my 8tb seagate (backup drive) 

Ignored the slow drive warning formatted drive to internal, set up shield added kodi etc.. 

Figured out how to file share and transfered some show..smb thingy 

But then fired up kodi once I had a bunch of shows on the drive.. And it got slow.. Black screen etc.. Slow drive was haunting me.. 

Died a little inside.. So I started over  reformatted the 8tb and I'm now making that my pc storage.. 

Found a 1tb ssd which is work has external so far.. 

Made a plex server so I have my TV shows and movies on kodi from the USB and movies on plex.. 

Started messing around with my android packet (should of walked away...)

I have on my desktop for my phone. 

Added that to my 1tb USB and it extracts the file (gba) but then black screen.. 

I'm assuming that the shield is seeing two paths one on the USB and one on the internal. 

I downloaded the app from Google and added the android folder from my pc. 

How can I get it set right. 

I have seen a lot of videos where a app is used to move files and delete files inside files called es explorer but that apps gone now.. 

So how can I set the path up.. 

Its be a long weekend.. 

Please help, give me a win lol. 

I'm having trouble following this lol. Can you re-explain exactly what's happening?

Only existing issue is setting up launchbox but I see your above quote so I see if that helps. 

The main issue I was having was my 8tb drive was slow and once I filled it up it just cut out more and more. 

I have now found a 1tb external which is meant for TV shows on kodi and I hope to get launchbox working too. 

But when I tried it I just got a black screen  when selecting a game,so I'm assuming the pathway is causing an issue. 

But I was unclear on how to remove the unbroken folder on my shield so that LB launches from my external. 

I have managed to make uses of my 8tb and a plex account for my movies tho so it's kinda working out.. 

Just need launchbox now, was gutted that I needed to be accepted for the shield free game thing guess I missed the boat on that. 

Hope that a little bit clearer Jason.. 

14 minutes ago, Mu144 said:

Only existing issue is setting up launchbox but I see your above quote so I see if that helps. 

The main issue I was having was my 8tb drive was slow and once I filled it up it just cut out more and more. 

I have now found a 1tb external which is meant for TV shows on kodi and I hope to get launchbox working too. 

But when I tried it I just got a black screen  when selecting a game,so I'm assuming the pathway is causing an issue. 

But I was unclear on how to remove the unbroken folder on my shield so that LB launches from my external. 

I have managed to make uses of my 8tb and a plex account for my movies tho so it's kinda working out.. 

Just need launchbox now, was gutted that I needed to be accepted for the shield free game thing guess I missed the boat on that. 

Hope that a little bit clearer Jason.. 

If games are showing up in LaunchBox on Android, but you're getting a black screen when launching, that's not a storage issue. That's either an emulator or a configuration issue. We'd have to troubleshoot that individually for each emulator/platform that you're running into it with.

To remove the unbroken folder from your Shield internal storage, one option would be to hook it up to your computer with a USB cable. That's probably the simplest way. Then you can work with files on the internal storage just like you can with a phone.

OK cool. 

I managed to find a file explorer app that works on the latest shield upgrade. 

So I'll look into removing the files from the shield this weekend. 

I managed to get deream working outside launchbox,only really tired the main nintendo ones so I'll mess around this weekend. 

So I'll have to check on it all again,i have been messing around with movies and TV shows to keep the wife happy. 

But launchbox is next on the list. 

Thanks Jason good to know its not storage issues. 

• Like 1