LaunchBox Community Forums

Nvidia Shield Removable Storage

electrobrain

Hello,

I exported my Launchbox package for Android to a removable hard drive, and then connected that drive to my Nvidia Shield.  The drive is listed under "removable storage" rather than "device storage" on the Shield.  Launchbox for Android can't seem to navigate to the file.

Is there any way to point Launchbox at the package sitting on the removable storage?

19 hours ago, electrobrain said:

Hello,

I exported my Launchbox package for Android to a removable hard drive, and then connected that drive to my Nvidia Shield.  The drive is listed under "removable storage" rather than "device storage" on the Shield.  Launchbox for Android can't seem to navigate to the file.

Is there any way to point Launchbox at the package sitting on the removable storage?

Hi electro, I've done the same thing on my Shield with a "removable storage" drive and LaunchBox is finding everything correctly, so I know it does work to do that. It could be because you already have data on your internal storage though, so LaunchBox is just using that folder instead. Try deleting your LaunchBox folder from your internal storage.

Ok I figured it out.  First of all, I had exported the package to a newly formatted drive, before I ever connected the drive to the Shield.

Then, I exported the package in a root directory on the drive I had called "Launchbox".  If you put the files in this kind of file structure, they won't be recognized.

What I did is I moved them to a new folder "Android" on the external drive and used the following path:

Android>data>com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox>files>LaunchBox

Now, everything is recognized fine.

Thanks for the help!

P.S. Your tip helped me figure it out.  I looked at the internal drive and saw the file structure where the Launchbox folder had been placed.  Then I saw the Shield had created a similar file structure on the external drive (Android>data> etc...) and figured that must be where the files had to go.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, electrobrain said:

Ok I figured it out.  First of all, I had exported the package to a newly formatted drive, before I ever connected the drive to the Shield.

Then, I exported the package in a root directory on the drive I had called "Launchbox".  If you put the files in this kind of file structure, they won't be recognized.

What I did is I moved them to a new folder "Android" on the external drive and used the following path:

Android>data>com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox>files>LaunchBox

Now, everything is recognized fine.

Thanks for the help!

P.S. Your tip helped me figure it out.  I looked at the internal drive and saw the file structure where the Launchbox folder had been placed.  Then I saw the Shield had created a similar file structure on the external drive (Android>data> etc...) and figured that must be where the files had to go.

Gotcha. Glad you're sorted. Yes, the exact path there to the LaunchBox folder is important, which is why the exporter creates those folders for you inside the folder you choose to place the package in.

Just a little FYI, I find it incredibly annoying that we have to use such a deep folder for all the data like that. Originally I was just using a LaunchBox folder in the root. But unfortunately, Android does a terrible job of managing data permissions, and some devices were refusing to allow the app to access files on SD cards unless we put them in the default app data folder.

Hi,
Would you be able to bullet point a simple process for me here?

I have, as I suspect many here do, have my games all on a network drive. What I really want to ensure is that I avoid duplication as there are a lot of games!

I would simply like to have my PC and Shield pointing to the same files and I'm a bit confused as to the easiest way to do this.

TIA for any help.

5 hours ago, martinconroy said:

Hi,
Would you be able to bullet point a simple process for me here?

I have, as I suspect many here do, have my games all on a network drive. What I really want to ensure is that I avoid duplication as there are a lot of games!

I would simply like to have my PC and Shield pointing to the same files and I'm a bit confused as to the easiest way to do this.

TIA for any help.

My understanding is that it is possible if you have a Shield device, but it's probably not very flexible. The Shield allows you to mount a network share as storage for your device. I don't have a walkthrough because honestly I've never done it myself. One restriction is the the folder path will still have to match the correct one exactly in the network storage.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Jason Carr

First lemme thank you for an awesome job on the Android front. I own an nVidia Shield Pro (Yeah the now retired version), I exported my games to root of a newly formatted NTFS drive, plugged it to Shield, ran LB, nothing... It won't see anything. I read your comment above pointing out that if the same file structure exists on both internal and external LB will prioritize the internal and won't look in both locations. I have some games exported to internal and now adding to external as I ran out of space on internal. My ROM collection is 3tb I am testing on an external 500gb to see if it's worth it using one of my 4tb drives...

Help ?

13 minutes ago, TechXero said:

Hey @Jason Carr

First lemme thank you for an awesome job on the Android front. I own an nVidia Shield Pro (Yeah the now retired version), I exported my games to root of a newly formatted NTFS drive, plugged it to Shield, ran LB, nothing... It won't see anything. I read your comment above pointing out that if the same file structure exists on both internal and external LB will prioritize the internal and won't look in both locations. I have some games exported to internal and now adding to external as I ran out of space on internal. My ROM collection is 3tb I am testing on an external 500gb to see if it's worth it using one of my 4tb drives...

Help ?

You'll currently only be able to use one of the two locations, not both. So if you want to use an external, you'll need to move the stuff that's in your internal storage to your external drive, or just re-export that stuff along with whatever the new stuff is that you want to add. Then you'll need to make sure that the /Android/data/com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox/files/LaunchBox folder does not exist in your internal storage.

Just now, Jason Carr said:

You'll currently only be able to use one of the two locations, not both. So if you want to use an external, you'll need to move the stuff that's in your internal storage to your external drive, or just re-export that stuff along with whatever the new stuff is that you want to add. Then you'll need to make sure that the /Android/data/com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox/files/LaunchBox folder does not exist in your internal storage.

I figured as much... Will try n get back at ya ;)

• Like 1

Question is @Jason Carr there's an option in the shield's settings where I can set external storage to kind of "replace" the internal one. What will happen to 500gb internal if I do that ? Will it be obsolete or will it have the main OS on it and only apps n games move to external ? Has anyone tried it ? Reason am asking is I have a 1tb Samsung T5 SSD I am thinking of using.

Edited by TechXero

I believe that it is just added to your device as internal storage it doesn't take away your ability to use the devices original internal storage. It will require you to format the drive though I believe or at least Android required that on my phone when I did it with my microSD card.

• Like 1

Currently looking at getting a shield 

Most probably black Friday. 

Just doing some research before hand. 

Am I right in thinking I could set up 2 external drives, one for kodi and one for launchbox app?

Will the android packet produced by LB,

Work form a shared harddrive with my kodi file's. 

(If I chose just one drive for now till bigbox is add to the LB app. )

I currently only have 600gb of games but I'm assuming a shield can handle DC and cube and 64 perfectly fine.?

Just looking for some advice from anyone with this set up running. 

Is there a drive size limit, can you have 2 drives etc. O and is there a format issue. 

Thanks. 

19 minutes ago, Mu144 said:

Currently looking at getting a shield 

Most probably black Friday. 

Just doing some research before hand. 

Am I right in thinking I could set up 2 external drives, one for kodi and one for launchbox app?

Will the android packet produced by LB,

Work form a shared harddrive with my kodi file's. 

(If I chose just one drive for now till bigbox is add to the LB app. )

I currently only have 600gb of games but I'm assuming a shield can handle DC and cube and 64 perfectly fine.?

Just looking for some advice from anyone with this set up running. 

Is there a drive size limit, can you have 2 drives etc. O and is there a format issue. 

Thanks. 

I'll answer what I know here. I don't think you can set up more than one drive, but there is no real size limit that I know of. I have a 4TB drive connected to mine.

Thanks Jason, I'm assuming you have other folders than just launchbox app (LBA) 

So I could just get a shield and plug my drive in I have now, or will it ask to format.... 

Hmm I guess I just got get one and try it.. 

I bet I'll need a new drive to set it up then migrate it all over after. 

I'm shocked you can't run two drives from a shield tho. 

Just now, Mu144 said:

Thanks Jason, I'm assuming you have other folders than just launchbox app (LBA) 

So I could just get a shield and plug my drive in I have now, or will it ask to format.... 

Hmm I guess I just got get one and try it.. 

I bet I'll need a new drive to set it up then migrate it all over after. 

I'm shocked you can't run two drives from a shield tho. 

You might be able to, I'm not exactly sure. Whether or not you'll need to format the drive depends on how you want to use it. It gives you the option to use it as an add-on drive or as one for apps. LaunchBox is able to work with add-on drives though, so you shouldn't have to format it.

Ok, so having my games in one plce, in my case external 4tb drive worked. So am going to export all my current database to it and have it that way. Albeit it being a huge box, but better than using limited internal storage on my Shield Pro. Will be skipping MAME as it's too much of a hassle. Will be using external for some movies too as that won't affect LB in any way as long as Android folder is there with Game correctly exported ;)

Thanks @Jason Carr

• Like 1