LaunchBox Community Forums

Neo Geo Games Not Launching

rb79

Just started messing around with Launchbox after waiting for so long. Impressed with all the work that goes into the app and my other games (Steam and PS2) run as expected. Then here comes Retroarch. First it was the Metadata not being associated with each rom, but I fixed all that one by one. After countless hours of experimentation, I still can't get Neo Geo games running worth jack. With Retroarch FBAlpha 2012 Neo Geo btw, cause that's the only one that runs in Retroarch for me other than MAME. Cores and Roms are in their respective folders as far as I know. Even reinstalled all the cores, and updated the info files and everything like the new Retroarch Tutorial on the LB YT channel. 

I'm getting real tired of this loop. Help would be tremendously appreciated. 

Screenshots below (Sorry for quality)

Screenshot-1.thumb.png.fa33aac3eed009daa325baf5add3bf6b.pngScreenshot-2.thumb.png.afa8c75189529cff755fd82cc93bea03.pngScreenshot-4.thumb.png.8e45e0091dd9bf939a1f5397dd42ed93.png

Screenshot-3.png

Have you put the path to the rom files into that platform in launchbox?  Or is launchbox still looking in the default location "games"?  Or does that matter?  I forget if it does.  But I remember setting launchbox to look in a different folder than it's "games" folders for some of my roms for certain platforms.

Edited by damageinc86

9 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

Have you put the path to the rom files into that platform in launchbox?  Or is launchbox still looking in the default location "games"?  Or does that matter?  I forget if it does.  But I remember setting launchbox to look in a different folder than it's "games" folders for some of my roms for certain platforms.

It's looking in the platform folder in Launchbox.

4 hours ago, Asparky said:

Heres a Guide on how to set everything up.

Hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsP65OSOvX0

Followed that to a T yesterday, might try again later today just in case.

1 hour ago, Retro808 said:

1st and always most important question: Do your games work directly in Retroarch (without Launchbox)?

If they do then we know the disconnect is in Launchbox somewhere. 

Yes, they do work in Retroarch. With FBA 2012, FBA 2012Neo Geo, and Mame cores.

52 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I see in your image you have Retroarch in your appdata/roaming folder, thats a very strange place to have it, and i wouldn't be surprised if there are permission issues trying to run your roms/emulators from there.

I see your point, not sure what to do from here though. I unchecked read only...no dice.

4 hours ago, neil9000 said:

I see in your image you have Retroarch in your appdata/roaming folder, thats a very strange place to have it, and i wouldn't be surprised if there are permission issues trying to run your roms/emulators from there.

yeah if you use the RA.exe instead of the traditional download method that is where it will try to download the application by default now. Which is one of the reasons I don't use the .exe

3 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

yeah if you use the RA.exe instead of the traditional download method that is where it will try to download the application by default now. Which is one of the reasons I don't use the .exe

Ah OK. Then i suggest ditching the installer version and just using the .7zip portable version like any sane person. ;) 

2 hours ago, neil9000 said:

In your images in your OP the path to the roms is in your Retroacrh folder, not the Launchbox folder. So if Launchbox is in fact looking in its own folder the roms arent there.

Sorry bout that. I screenshot the wrong folder. (Should've added captions)

here's the actual folder.Screenshot-5.thumb.png.783d0daed1ac49e5beeb71e8353f4a41.pngAnd it's parent folder...

Screenshot-6.thumb.png.c66f740d30f92aa2dea7e12f2464075a.png

5 minutes ago, rb79 said:

On it.

Will see results.

I may be completely wrong, but appdata/roaming is used for program files, not for actually storing things. There is a reason why the appdata folder is hidden as default. So im honesty not sure how things just stored there, like roms, would behave. Regardless though use the standard Retroarch, its totally portabe after unzipping and can be copy/pasted anywhere on your system.

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Also, looking back at the images in your OP, the fourth image where you show the associated platforms screen with your NeoGeo platform there. The "Default" checkbox isnt checked, why? Did you uncheck whilst troubleshooting? or was you using something else prior that is still the default?

Oh no, I was just experimenting. (Still new to LB) 

I've sinced checked it, and still nothing.