LaunchBox Community Forums

No action

Tinker

So had this issue  a while but now bugging me as trying to clean up my platforms. I am unable to delete or hide any games on any platform? I select delete the game and it disappears however if I go back into platform its back again ? the hide function doesn't do anything other than report its hidden when its still visable  ? any ideas please  ?

Yeah tried that, so playing a bit more I wanted to delete a platform so I right click, select delete then check platform.xlm to see if entry has gone which it has however when I restart launchbox its written back in ?  I thought I would be clever and set the file to read only after launchbox has made the change but on restarting it obviously is writing to it as it complains of no access and hangs ? Have no idea why any change I make is undone upon restarting  am kind of fed up now!

1 minute ago, Tinker said:

To be clear Launchbox actions the request i.e delete,rename etc. however upon reset it reverts back even though I have deleted back ups etc. Im stuck not being able to make any permanent changes...

You didnt answer Dos's other question. In your data folder where the platforms are is there any chance you see xaml files with "backup" in the name?

This is certainly odd, but my guess is that you have some sort of duplicate file in your LaunchBox\Data\Platforms folder. If you have any extra copies of data files in that folder, that will make the games show back up. Are you able to screenshot us the list of files that you have in your LaunchBox\Data\Platforms folder? Either that or maybe you could zip up and attach your LaunchBox\Data\Platforms folder here.

Thanks for the help what Ive tried was deleting my arcade classics platform which it does and removes from it platform.xlm I then set it to read only and shut down without issue. If I leave as read only launchbox wont start complaining it doesn't have write access to platform.xlm and hangs. I uncheck read only and restart and it undoes changes and I'm back to square one. Attached is my data folder

thanks

image.png

Screenshot.docx

For your info as another test I copies launchbox to an external drive and ran it from my laptop with the same results so its definitely a behaviour of launchbox itself. Interestingly as yet another test I created a playlist called arcade classics  and then deleted that with no issues ?

1 hour ago, Tinker said:

Thanks for the help what Ive tried was deleting my arcade classics platform which it does and removes from it platform.xlm I then set it to read only and shut down without issue. If I leave as read only launchbox wont start complaining it doesn't have write access to platform.xlm and hangs. I uncheck read only and restart and it undoes changes and I'm back to square one. Attached is my data folder

thanks

image.png

Screenshot.docx 330.28 kB · 0 downloads

Actually Jason was asking for a image of the platforms folder specifically, not just the Data folder, so if you can open the Platforms folder and image that it would be great, thanks.

@Tinker What platform are you trying to delete? You definitely don't want to make any of the files read only, as that will only cause issues. Looking at your platforms list, it looks like you might have several XML files that use the same platform name, but I can't tell by just looking at the file names. If you can zip up and PM me your Data folder, I can dive in and take a look.

Thanks for sending me your data folder @Tinker. I'm not sure how this could happen outside of manual tinkering, but I do see the issue here. LaunchBox expects that all the files in the LaunchBox\Data\Platforms folder are named with a proper platform name, and that every game that is listed inside of that XML file has the exact same platform name. For whatever reason, I'm finding games in your XML files where the name of the platform tag (for example "Arcade Classics") does not match the name of the XML file (for example "Arcade Shoot 'Em ups.xml"). That mismatched platform name is likely to cause a bunch of issues. I can only assume that this must have happened by manually copying and/or renaming files in the Platforms folder.

As far as fixing it, your best bet is to rename the files back to match the platform tag that is listed on the games, and/or delete the files that have that issue.