LaunchBox Community Forums

Thumbnail Images

superdavit

Some of the default thumbnail images for the MAME games aren't what I want to use.  So I go to EDIT, switch to another picture, right click and select Image Type>Box-Front.  This solves the issue.  However, most times, the dimensions don't match up with the original, so I'm left with an image half the size.  Is there any way to have the image scale / zoom so that it matches everything else?

Not a big deal, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!!

9 hours ago, superdavit said:

Some of the default thumbnail images for the MAME games aren't what I want to use.  So I go to EDIT, switch to another picture, right click and select Image Type>Box-Front.  This solves the issue.  However, most times, the dimensions don't match up with the original, so I'm left with an image half the size.  Is there any way to have the image scale / zoom so that it matches everything else?

Not a big deal, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!!

This is simply due to the resolution of the images you are using, most MAME games are old and therefore low resolution. The space for the image to show for a game is the same for all games in a platform, so if you are using a few much lower resolution images for some games they will naturally look smaller.

Thanks for the reply, but this isn't a "resolution" issue, it's more of a sizing / aspect ratio issue.  Check out the two attached screen grabs.  "D.D. Crew" and "Darius" - I chose these specific photos from what LB had automatically downloaded for me, which is awesome.  But they are clearly cropped because of different aspect ratios.  

What I'd like to do, is be able to zoom the photos in automatically, in order to match the template size.  I COMPLETELY understand this will result in some cropping on the left and right side of the photos, but I'm okay with that.

Is this possible?  And thanks!

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

• 1 month later...

I haven't delved REAL deep into that XAML file but I would assume you could edit that file to do what you wanted. Making the alignment tags says "Stretch" instead of "Center". To my knowledge though there is no setting in the options that will do what you are looking for.

@superdavit

Your images for Darius and D.D. Crew appear to be game snapshots.
Both of those games have LaunchBox Database images to suit you (Advertisement Flyers).
Open Game Edit and then click on Download Images/Media. Download the Advertisement Flyers, and set the one you prefer to be a Box Front. You can then delete any you don't want.

I'm being super OCD about this.  It's not a big deal, really.  But yeah, I chose those specific screen grabs because they were better than the default image.  So to my original question, I was wondering if I could take a screen grab and then zoom it in to fit the dimensions of all the other images.  I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your help.

I doubt if you can do that in LaunchBox, at least not in an easy way.
You could use an image editor to either resize without aspect preserving or crop your screen shot to have a portrait look similar to the flyers, but you'll end up with an image that will be either distorted or missing parts. This may not be too bad with DD Crew, but Darius being a triple screen game has a very wide full screen snap.

Personally, I think that the two flyers for Darius are just fine, especially the Japanese one. They both seem on a par with flyers for lots of games, and flyers are probably the closest you'll get to the traditional box cover look for Arcade games.